Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #21

it was 107 in central Ca. yesterday, the air was off, the inside of trailer was 109..need to open some windows!! LOL, but after reading nyour post, i put a thermometer in our not level trailer, went down to 49 degrees I onl had it in there for 30 min, so IMO, I think you have a problem, possible freon, get it checked out.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinwood View Post
it was 107 in central Ca. yesterday, the air was off, the inside of trailer was 109..need to open some windows!! LOL, but after reading nyour post, i put a thermometer in our not level trailer, went down to 49 degrees I onl had it in there for 30 min, so IMO, I think you have a problem, possible freon, get it checked out.
Unless you have an aftermarket home-type reefer, there's no freon in these; they use ammonia.

Sounds like the OP has a possible problem with a restriction, or too much sun on the reefer side of the RV.

OP: What's your freezer temp while you're having the high temps in the box? This will help the experts aid in troubleshooting your prob.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

matco fan

I use one of these when it gets really hot and blow it directly at the fridge vent outside .
what a different it makes !

Name:   vsf100.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  17.2 KB
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #24

Hello. Thanks for all your suggestions. It turns out that the solenoid switch connected to the external fan did not function. Therefore, the fan did not turn on when the temperature exceeded the set point. We replaced the solenoid switch and added a second external fan. Now the temperature in the refrigerator is varying between 35 and 42 degrees...a marked improvement even when the outside temperature is 108 degrees. Thanks again.
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman
DOMETIC NORCOLD REFRIGERATOR FAN FOR RV, BOAT 12V | eBay

A number of us have added this type fan to our refrigerators with great success. As for dealing with 108 degrees I'm not sure how low the temperature will stay in the fridge but 55 seems way too high. Others have added this type fan to help displace the heat at the rear of the fridge. I haven't found the need for one yet but hopefully someone that has can give you their results.
RV Motorhome Camper Refrigerator Solar Fridge Cool Fan | eBay
Best of luck and try to keep cool!
Thanks, I'll have to get one of these.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #26

Yes you can buy that fan setup or
Look what I found online
Dual Cooling Fan 3.5 inchPC Hard Disk Drive HDD Cooler Fan The 3.5 inch PC Hard Drive Cooler connects via a standard PSU 4 pin internal power connection as a self-power mode, no power adapter required

You just have to wait for the slow boat from China for delivery
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #27

Here is the one I have for my 4 door refrigerator. I need it for reducing the frost buildup here in Arizona.
It is a little different than the other version. It has different mounting and I really like the ON/OFF Switch. It also has a long wire to exit the refrigerator and you can power up from the back of the unit or by the power inside.
I paid $18.75 to my door.

Link to Ebay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	17261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	17262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	17263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan4.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	17264  
Old 07-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #28

A very simple change you might try would be to run the refrigerator on gas instead of electric. As some people noted here the refrigerator cools down a lot faster on Gas then it does on electric.

In my opinion this is because the 300watt heater that runs the refrigerator when on electric doesn't produce anywhere near the amount of heat that the gas flame does. More BTU's put into the system the more BTU's it will pull out. Counter intuitive I know. But this is how evaporation refrigerators work.

So you might try running on gas for a day or two to see how it does. If that helps then you could run on gas during the day time and electric at night.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
A very simple change you might try would be to run the refrigerator on gas instead of electric. As some people noted here the refrigerator cools down a lot faster on Gas then it does on electric.

In my opinion this is because the 300watt heater that runs the refrigerator when on electric doesn't produce anywhere near the amount of heat that the gas flame does. More BTU's put into the system the more BTU's it will pull out. Counter intuitive I know. But this is how evaporation refrigerators work.

So you might try running on gas for a day or two to see how it does. If that helps then you could run on gas during the day time and electric at night.

Everything you said is 100% correct.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:35 AM   #30
Sherlock

I could not get mine to stay cool enough on my 2012 378XL & just heard back from the dealer that the 2 upper fans were not coming in. They repaired it & all seems fine now. Under warranty of course. Seems there are multiple fans that have to all work together.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwood12800
I could not get mine to stay cool enough on my 2012 378XL & just heard back from the dealer that the 2 upper fans were not coming in. They repaired it & all seems fine now. Under warranty of course. Seems there are multiple fans that have to all work together.
I wonder if dometic buys there fans same place wfco does
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote