Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #1

Effectiveness of Dometic Refrigerator in Desert Heat

Hello. I have a 2012 Forest River Georgetown XL 337DS. I am camping at the Usery Mountain Regional Park outside Phoenix. The daytime temperature is reaching 108 degrees. The Dometic refrigerator is set to automatic and the coldest temperature setting possible. I am hooked up to electricity - 50 amps. However, during the day, the refrigerator seems to lose the battle with the ambient temperature. The refrigerator temperature rises to approximately 55 degrees during the day and then drops again during the evening. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the refrigerator?
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

DOMETIC NORCOLD REFRIGERATOR FAN FOR RV, BOAT 12V | eBay

A number of us have added this type fan to our refrigerators with great success. As for dealing with 108 degrees I'm not sure how low the temperature will stay in the fridge but 55 seems way too high. Others have added this type fan to help displace the heat at the rear of the fridge. I haven't found the need for one yet but hopefully someone that has can give you their results.
RV Motorhome Camper Refrigerator Solar Fridge Cool Fan | eBay
Best of luck and try to keep cool!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:33 AM   #3

if we know we are heading out to the desert
where this time of year it hits well over 110
we turn on our fridge a few days before leaving
makes for a little icy wall build up
everything including ice cream has been ok
in extrem weather
we have the AC on during the day and into the night
this hold inside temp down to prox 80
if you are leaving your rig during the day
with the AC off
get's mighty hot in there

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
Hello. I have a 2012 Forest River Georgetown XL 337DS. I am camping at the Usery Mountain Regional Park outside Phoenix. The daytime temperature is reaching 108 degrees. The Dometic refrigerator is set to automatic and the coldest temperature setting possible. I am hooked up to electricity - 50 amps. However, during the day, the refrigerator seems to lose the battle with the ambient temperature. The refrigerator temperature rises to approximately 55 degrees during the day and then drops again during the evening. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the refrigerator?

Levelness, shade and airflow are your friend.

You MUST be level side to side for the fridge to function. This is MOST critical in hot weather when every BTU of cooling counts. Liquid Ammonia trapped in the coils will KILL your cooling capacity very quickly especially in hot weather.

I like to sleep with my head higher than my feet (maybe you do too) but adding tilt to the camper is not the way to do that when the fridge is mounted on the side of the camper.

Leave the awning out if it covers the air vents on the fridge (rig an awning if not) to add shade to the cooling chimney. Add a forced fan to increase airflow through the cooling fins in the chimney. Reduce what is in the fridge to allow better circulation inside.

Move the fin thermocouple to the top of the transfer fins.

All of the above
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV evaporative Fridge.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	16827  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #5

We have the double door model and are in the Florida heat and 99% humidity. The unit is on auto and set at it's coldest setting. Over night the temp will be at 33 or 34 degs and by the end of the hottest day the temp will come up to 38 deg or so. And you can hear the built in fans running the entire time. We do keep the awning out as much as possible and that shades the compartment.

If you don't have the fans I would say that would be the problem. Best guess anyway....
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #6

I have not operated mine much above 100, but I have a 10 bag of ice in my freezer for the last couple of months. It has stayed frozen.

That may not be a good measure of temperature, but I do know I have checked it on hot days and it always seemed to be within norms.

I agree that if you expose the refer to the heat of the sun it will definitely negatively affect performance.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Fan(s) in the rear of the refrigerator compartment blowing up across the tubing is the most effective way of increasing the cooling capacity. A circulation fan inside the refrigerator also is a tremendous help, but you must have good circulation on the rear of the unit in addition to the refrigerator being level in all directions.

Just don't let the outside fans blow on the burner area.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #8

I agree with all answers to help refer in hot climates.
I have a 4 door model and I live in Arizona. I always turn on my refrigerator on a least a day before leaving if not longer. I have been in Nevada and Utah with 100 degrees plus and still able to maintain 33-35 degrees at full max. I also have 2 fans that kick in to help displace the heat buildup and helps the system maintain at high temps.
Trejjer when did you turn on your refrigerator? When you arrived at the campground at 100 plus temp?

Or did you turn on before you left home?

Also electric is slow to build up and I usually use gas to cool down first then maintain on electric if available.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #9

I have fans inside and outside in the vent stack. No problems maintaining 36deg in 105 heat.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post

A number of us have added this type fan to our refrigerators with great success. As for dealing with 108 degrees I'm not sure how low the temperature will stay in the fridge but 55 seems way too high. Others have added this type fan to help displace the heat at the rear of the fridge. I haven't found the need for one yet but hopefully someone that has can give you their results.
Thanks, My dad has the some problem in the trailor, I will send for a fan for him.
RONN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONN View Post
Thanks, My dad has the some problem in the trailor, I will send for a fan for him.
Need to get a couple for the outside, behind the refrigerator and pc cooling fans work great for that.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all
Old 07-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post

Just ordered one - looks to be effective.

Thanks for the info.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #13

A quick and easy solution while sort of "red neck" is to get a 12" box fan and mount it on the ouside fridges lower outside vent panel blowing in. When my fan thats mounted on the cooling coils of the fridge kicks on it's rather noisey, so I use the 12" box fan and then the factory installed cooling fan doesn't kick in and fridge actually stays cooler then with the factory cooling fan

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Need to get a couple for the outside, behind the refrigerator and pc cooling fans work great for that.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all
Thank you for the info, I have ordered two sets, one for me and one for my dad.

Thanks again
RONN
RONN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
ME

Does anyone have any pictures of the fan that was added to the outside back of fridge
Old 07-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
Just Love to Camp

Pics of the mod would be great. Having the same temp climbs to 48. I keep my fridge on all summer. and on gas in travel. Would love not to have to worry about it. That is if DH would do the mod!!!
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordes View Post
Pics of the mod would be great. Having the same temp climbs to 48. I keep my fridge on all summer. and on gas in travel. Would love not to have to worry about it. That is if DH would do the mod!!!
Here is the one I installed with the chrome toggle switch to control it. The fan is the black rectangle in the center between the small tube and the large tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00035 (2).jpg
Views:	332
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	16909   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00036.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	16910  
Old 07-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
Just Love to Camp

Fridge is on a slide. Can you place the fan anywhere. I saw something about bottom vent??? Or do it on both? Should it be blowing upwards?
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordes View Post
Fridge is on a slide. Can you place the fan anywhere. I saw something about bottom vent??? Or do it on both? Should it be blowing upwards?
My fridge is not on a slide and yes, the fan blows up. Just make sure it doesn't blow toward the propane/flame portion.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #20

Although I just ordered one of the 12-V fans, I've always used (been a "Fan" of) the ones sold at Wal*Mart for about $15 that use two "D" cells.

It's 103 outside right now, and I'm drinking a 37-degree bneer from my Dometic!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote