Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Electric Door Steps

Our 2011 378TS Electric Door Steps seem to have a mind of their own. We will load everyone up, close the door, and be prepared to drive away and I'll look out of the passanger side view mirror and see that the steps have not retracted. Even a couple times we have found that the steps have deployed all by themselves while we are rolling down the road. That is unnerving!

Has anybody else had this happen. The unit is going in Saturday for oil changes and few other warrenty items and I'm afraid when I get there that the darn steps will act normally.

Chuck
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #2

yes, have had the steps in 2005 375 and our new 2011 357 get confused, usually have to shut the coach down and turn battery off. It resets the step motors.
ravenmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #3

Gentleman, I have had so many issues with the Lippert step that I am going to toss it and replace it with a Kwikee step...that will save me from shooting myself..LOL>>>>
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #4

Mine have been doing the same Have not had them drop while driving...YET
CanadianRVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Anacortesians

Ours seem to work fine. There's a switch in the entryway to disable the logic when yoou're parked (leaves them down regardless of door status). Even in that position, the feature is over-ridden by turning the ignition on, which causes them to retract.

Unfortunately, if the disable switch is lft in "disable" mode they don't come down again when you switch the ignition off.

That's the only function that surprised me. It is a bit odd that the magnetic switch that actuates them is on the screen door rather than the outside door.

They're much better than the steps on our '85 Class C, which were vacuum actuated from inlet manifold vacuum through 16' of rubber tubing to each of two actuators!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #6

Steps have not worked right since day one on our 08 Georgetown....had a whole new assembly installed last summer, still much trouble. Currently they retract, then i get several loud clicks as it starts to extend out again. Gary
Ggantilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #7

The Lippert steps on our 2011 360 are absolutly junk. They will be in the landfill before fall and replaced by a new Kwikee step...but only two steps not three. I think we have given up trying to fix them and our coach is only 6 months old.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #8

Darn it! Not good to see all the problems with these Lippert steps. Sure would like to get a different brand of steps installed under warranty. That probably won't happen.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #9

This step is actually a Coach Step brand and was purchased by Lippert....they always were a problem.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #10

I just had the dealer repair the steps (Kwikee steps) on my 2005 georgetown. The problem, they won't retract. The solution was a new fuse holder. I took it to the dealer since it was still covered by them. It seems that most malfunctions come down to poor electrical connections. I have used Permatex dielectric tune-up grease at the trade with great results. A light coating on the fuse blades (and other electrical components) will work wonders. Products similar to this cost about $8 CDN at most automotive stores.

GOOD LUCK!
oldprof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #11

Same here we use dielectric grease on everything at work. It helps things maintain a good contact for a long time mostly by keeping the air (O2) and moisture off the connections. I used it on my new battery bank that I installed in my georgetown.

Old thread about my new batteries:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ries-9866.html
Old 07-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggantilla View Post
Steps have not worked right since day one on our 08 Georgetown....had a whole new assembly installed last summer, still much trouble. Currently they retract, then i get several loud clicks as it starts to extend out again. Gary
Replace the plastic bearings in the step motor with steel ball bearings.I had the same problem with mine and the tech did that clearing the trouble.
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote