Old 12-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #1

Electric portion of the water heater

It is getting very cold here in north central Missouri. 17 for a low this morning and it is supposed to be zero or lower by the end of the week. We are using a lot of propane parked in our daughters driveway to keep it warm (67 degrees inside) and keep the water heater on 24/7 to keep it from freezing. I took the W/H cover off yesterday and there is a switch right next to what probably is a heating element going into the W/H. Is all I have to do to make it run on the electric element is turn on that switch? If yes, I would leave the switch on the control panel inside in the off position, correct? Let me know as we are using a lot of propane and running the W/H on electric would really help.

Thanks
Bob

aztrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Site Team

This FAQ linked below will explain it all:

Suburban's electric switch and much more

"Yes,we have reservations..but we'll eat here anyway!"...is what I say to every greeting host/hostess in a restaurant!
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:18 AM   #3

Turned it on (I hope). Will not know until we get the frozen water pump/no water flowing problem fixed. It's 8 degrees this morning at 10:30am.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #4

While parked at your daughters place, are you using the on board water system or are you connected to their home water hose?

Are you connected to their house using an extension cord? If itís only a basic extension cord to typically a 15 or 20 amp outlet, thereís only so much electrical toys you can run at once. Anything, that is basically a heater unit.....electric water heater element, coffee machine, electric heater, hair dryer etc....is a high current draw and only ONE of these toys at a time or youíll trip a breaker somewhere.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
While parked at your daughters place, are you using the on board water system or are you connected to their home water hose?

Are you connected to their house using an extension cord? If it’s only a basic extension cord to typically a 15 or 20 amp outlet, there’s only so much electrical toys you can run at once. Anything, that is basically a heater unit.....electric water heater element, coffee machine, electric heater, hair dryer etc....is a high current draw and only ONE of these toys at a time or you’ll trip a breaker somewhere.
We are using the fresh water tank. A hose would freeze and would always be getting run over by their car going in and out of the garage.

I put in a 30 amp power outlet on the side of the garage so we have at least 30 amps. Using the MH's living room electric fireplace/heater and just the propane rear heater so it heats the basement (except the water pump area).
Old 12-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #6

water heater

Hi Bob, Bob here in south east Missouri, turn your electric water heater on as long as you have shore power. Why the hot water switch is "hidden" where it s at I don't know. Turn the propane switch inside off. We use our electric whenever we can. It saves on propane.

Good luck, Bob
Bob Maager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #7

One important note. Never run the electric side of your water heater without it being full of water. In an empty WH the electric heating element will burn out in a matter of seconds.
Bnrc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post
One important note. Never run the electric side of your water heater without it being full of water. In an empty WH the electric heating element will burn out in a matter of seconds.
Not exactly 100% on that one.

My 2016 Greywolf 2017KL simply will not heat unless it meets resistance of water.

In the case yours is not the same simply switch the element. The newer elements will shut off at low temp when nothing is to be heated.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyShope View Post
Not exactly 100% on that one.

My 2016 Greywolf 2017KL simply will not heat unless it meets resistance of water.

In the case yours is not the same simply switch the element. The newer elements will shut off at low temp when nothing is to be heated.
I have not heard that one before for Suburban water heaters, Tony. Suburban has installed a new type element that won't burn up as quickly as the older ones, but it will still burn up. Suburban just sent us a technical notice on this back in November, which is attached to the Suburban FAQ thread, and can be read here.

Suburban's electric switch and much more

"Yes,we have reservations..but we'll eat here anyway!"...is what I say to every greeting host/hostess in a restaurant!
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztrooper View Post
It is getting very cold here in north central Missouri. 17 for a low this morning and it is supposed to be zero or lower by the end of the week. We are using a lot of propane parked in our daughters driveway to keep it warm (67 degrees inside) and keep the water heater on 24/7 to keep it from freezing. I took the W/H cover off yesterday and there is a switch right next to what probably is a heating element going into the W/H. Is all I have to do to make it run on the electric element is turn on that switch? If yes, I would leave the switch on the control panel inside in the off position, correct? Let me know as we are using a lot of propane and running the W/H on electric would really help.

Thanks
Bob
You are correct !! Use the electric by turning on the HW switch in the outside panel. Only use the wall switch inside when using propane and the switch will ignite the burner to heat the water

twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, heater, water, water heater