Old 08-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

electric stairs problem

I have a problem with the electric stairs on my 2012 Georgetown 378. The electric motor runs, but the stairs will only extend or retract part of the way. The motor continues to run after the stairs stop moving, but the gear on the end of the motor stops turning. So the gear on the end of the motor will rotate for a second or two, then the gear stops rotating but the motor continues to run for another second or two. Any thoughts??? Thanks

Pitroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #2

I found this video that shows that it just may just be a dirty gear that binds everything.
Take a look.
https://youtu.be/lkBFR94F4FY

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Inside the gearbox is some limit switches as I have been told that stops the motor when fully extended and fully retracted.
Sound like one or both may have went bad/broke or out of adjustment.
well, Iggy has one, but, it would be the first time I have ever heard about internal limit switches. Most have a controller that senses the motor stalling when fully extended or retracted and shut it down (also when it hits a curb, etc.). Obviously it also has a timeout. From your description, sounds like you have stripped the internal nylon gears and the motor must be replaced as the gears are not replaceable.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
2012 Solera

On our 2012 Solera, I believe binding from dirt and/or corrosion caused sufficient binding to cause the limit switches to trigger before full retraction or extension. I soaked everything underneath with penetrating oil and “helped” the step extend and retract several times - step then started working normally and has continued to do so for a couple of years since.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #5

Take a look at this video and shows how to move the main gear if you have broken gears and use another part of the main gear.

https://youtu.be/9cVER9rBZmI

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #6

There are no limit switches. There is however a current limiting circuit and that is what shuts down the motor in either direction. When the steps movement stops (doesn't matter why or where then the current will rise) and when the current reaches a preset value the motor shuts down. Does sound like a motor issue.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #7

I had the same problem. On inspection I found that 2 of the 3 screws that hold the motor to the frame were loose. I took the motor off and the internal plastic gears were stripped. I think the extra side loading killed the gears.
Amazon is your friend. In 3 days I had the new part in hand and installed.
For installation make sure the steps are out all the way, I put a small jack under them.

For the future I will annually check the screws when I lube the gear.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #8

It doesn't matter where the steps are positioned when changing the motor, just have to have enough room to remove and replace it.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
It doesn't matter where the steps are positioned when changing the motor, just have to have enough room to remove and replace it.
Just know that, if you have not removed the step power fuse they will extend or retract (depending upon if the screen door is open (extend) or closed (retract)) when mating the main 4 pin connectors.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitroes View Post
I have a problem with the electric stairs on my 2012 Georgetown 378. The electric motor runs, but the stairs will only extend or retract part of the way. The motor continues to run after the stairs stop moving, but the gear on the end of the motor stops turning. So the gear on the end of the motor will rotate for a second or two, then the gear stops rotating but the motor continues to run for another second or two. Any thoughts??? Thanks
Not sure if it has the same problem as mine... here it is...

After letting the stair set out for a couple months, my stair could not fold in all the way, I have to help by pushing it. Turn out, it was kinda rusted a little at the joints. What I did was spray some W-40 and exercise it a few times by help pushing it in and out while open and close the door. Now it works perfectly.

Hope yours could be resolved as easy.

tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric