Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #1

Electric Step

The electrice step on our new 360 won't shut down on extension or retraction until it tries about 8 or ten more times to open or close the step. I am told it is the controller board that is goofy...any one else had this issue.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #2

Had the same problem in Florida with our 374 . Took it to Lazydays and they changed the control module and all is well again.
jmduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #3

Well we tried 2 new controller boards on this step and niether fixed the problem. Lippert basically told us to go to Hell....so Forest River went to bat and took it upon themselves to send a new step. It was marked a 3 step unit on the box but actually it was a 2 step unit inside the box. I really never liked the 3 step unit anyway as it was always a problem pulling up to a curb or to fill with gas. So we installed the 2 step unit and also wired switch to shut the step off so it will stay retracted while it is in storage. Problem solved.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Member-at-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkatronron View Post
The electrice step on our new 360 won't shut down on extension or retraction until it tries about 8 or ten more times to open or close the step. I am told it is the controller board that is goofy...any one else had this issue.
The same thing just happened on our 360 while traveling to Virginia Beach. It goes in for repair work on Monday. We picked up our 2011 Georgetown 360DS at the end of July...you'd think it would've lasted more than a month. This is not giving me any warm & fuzzy feelings about the rest of the workmanship on our rig.

Michael King
a.k.a. Adirondack Man
Adirondack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Our steps have a case of the stutters occasionally. I've used dry lubricant on everything I can possibly see and sometimes they operate smooth as silk. The next time it's freaky. Anyone else having this issue. Have you found a solution?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #6

I've replaced a few of the bolts and bushings in the steps. I had one shear off. The parts are cheap and it works nice and smooth with new ones installed not over tightened
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
ME

We are on our third set of stairs and I blame poor design and my three kids using it as a spring board! My advise get the TWO step model and a third step to drop at the bottom!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Our step works great. We are full timers so we are parked for long periods of time and still using the steps. We are big people, so, I always support the steps with some blocking to take the spring out of them. Also, when we are in south TX for the winter we don't use the camper steps, we have a set of steps we push up to the side of the motorhome. I also installed a toggle switch in the hot line going to the step control, so all I have to do is flip the switch to keep the steps in whatever position they are in even if I turn on the ignition.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #9

Steps and Generator

Just picked up our 08 GTown, 3rd step also. They said the motor failed again.....makes one wonder about 3 steps in 3 years, with not a lot of use.
Also had the generator serviced for upcoming trip. Brought it home to load up, fired up (pardon the pun) the generator to get the a/c going, and panic quickly set in when I noticed lots of smoke billowing out of gen exhaust!!! shut it down, smelled of thick electrical burning smell. Took it back to dealer, gen had a complete failure at 900 hours. I did buy the extended warranty back in 08, so now I am glad I did that after 3 steps, and generator fix of at least 3K.
Ggantilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Member-at-Large

Ron,

I contacted Lipper and they sent me a new motor. We had the very same problem and after replacing the motor (three bolts and a wiring harness--easy for a do-it-yourselfer) it works like new. I sent the bad motor back to Lipper so they could diagnose the problem. Speak with Vaughn at LPI...he's a really great guy and willing to help at every turn. Try and get that quick reaction and real live assistance from some other step manufacturers. I'm sticking with Lippert.

Michael King
Old 09-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #11

Hi Michael. You are one lucky camper. My step has failed within the first 30 days. New control module did not fix the problem. Lipert would not send my dealer a new step. There was obviously a flaw in the making of this step..Forest River went to bat for me and got Lipert to ship a new one...I now have a 2 step unit instead of the 2 step and I like it much better. I wish it were a Kwikee...they are much better.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
Member-at-Large

Hi Ron, I too wish I had a two step configuration. Ours failed within a month but as I mentioned I got it fixed without a problem. Lippert did charge me but when they received the motor it would be reimbursed. The problem I have heard about Kwikee is to that they are not as responsive as is Lippert. Again, that's just what I've heard and I have not been doing this that long. We got our 360 back at the end of July and have seen our share of mechanical, interior and exterior challenges. We met MikSher in Bar Harbor, Maine and he was a lot of help...many great insights and stories that were quite beneficial. Best to you and yours.

Michael
Old 09-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #13

so far, 3 broken bolts and had to tighten-up the loose steps from the body.
we'll see how long that last.
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #14

Hi Michael. Just finished winterizing our 360 and servicing the batteries and checking everything over. It will now sit until mid january when we will wake up the big v 10 and head for arizona. We live in Regina Saskatchewan Canada. I have had 10 units with kwikee steps and never had a problem. Lippert was miserable and thanks to FR we got new ones and the 2 step unit works way better. What part of the states are you in.