Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #21

The CSP lead is intended to be connected to an ignition switched source so that when you turn on the key the steps retract. It should not be wired through the disconnect nor should it have +12v on it constantly or the steps would never extend. Also the schematic posted is not the same as for our steps so they must have changed something along the way or it is for different steps. On ours the orange wire to the switch connects directly to the battery. There is a separate red wire than runs directly from the motor to the battery too.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #22

Steps

The schematic came from FR and according them it applies to all Georgetowns.
Also I did not suggest that CSP lead be connected to the disconnect switch.
The colors on the schematic may not be same as the actual wiring.
There is a problem if the Lippert manual is right, and lets hope FR will provide a solution.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtelguy View Post
The schematic came from FR and according them it applies to all Georgetowns.
Obviously they are not the be all end all authority on their own rigs then as the schematic supplied by Lippert for our steps is different. I suspect that there may have been a change in the steps and or the way they are wired from rig to rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtelguy View Post
Also I did not suggest that CSP lead be connected to the disconnect switch.
I didn't say you did, I merely pointed out that if it were connected to +12V all the time as you asked FR then the steps would never extend except when the door was opened because this is what this wire is supposed to do when the ignition is turned on, Retract the steps.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 03-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #24

Step Control

The Lippert step schematic (included in the manual) that I have is simplified and fails to include the battery disconnect switch which affects the way the step operates and also the Lippert schematic does not indicate any connection to the ignition switch.

If you have a Lippert Schematic that includes these items please post a copy.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:01 AM   #25

Here is the link to the manual that came with our coach for our steps directly from Lippert's site.

The CSP wire is noted as Yellow on this diagram.

Our steps surely do not function the way the manual says they should as we cannot "lock" our steps in a retracted state no matter what I try. Not a big issue to me as I can just put a magnate next to the switch on the door if I want them out of the way for checking on my batteries but I can understand why it bothers others.

My theory with this wiring situation is that if the white and red wires were swapped such that the red wire went through the switch then the system would function as though the switch was in the on position all the time normally, however if the switch is turned off at ANY time it would immediately cut power to the motor and stop the steps in their tracks. I have not had time to try it out but might tomorrow. In this way you would close your door and after the steps were retracted, turn off the switch (which cuts power to the motor) and they will stay retracted (I hope). Once the switch was turned on and the door opened they would extend. Once extended turn the switch off again and they should stay extended. This is exactly the way the steps on our old rig functioned. The problem would then be that it would be possible to drive off with the steps extended as you are actually cutting power to the motor and if left out with the switch off they would remain that way even with the ignition on.

www.nwjeepn.com