Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #1

Electric steps..... I'm over it!!!

13K meows, these steps on this XL do what they want- when they want..... Nobody can fix it..... In gonna rip'em off again one day and I prolly won't be fixing them!! Just get a box to carry around!!

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #2

If they go out and in while driving check the gap between the screen door and the frame.
Now other than that I got no idea what you mean they have a mind of themselves with out explaining yourself what they are doing.
Do you want help or just making a demanding statement what you plan to do?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #3

They don't go n out while driving, but parked, it doesn't matter which placement the rocker switch is in, they go in n out when the door is opened and closed, and sometimes they don't/ won't come up, even when transmission is put into gear.... I've tore them up once already....

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 06-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #4

Ok, I learned something yesterday about these steps, if the engine is running, the steps will go up and down most of the time when the door is open and closed, but will not go up everytime the door is closed...

With the engine off, steps will stay down with the switch flipped.

So I can still drive off with them down and tear them off someone!!

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 06-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #5

I wired mine straight to the battery and installed a switch near the door. Personally, I'd prefer manual steps but mine are welded on and I don't want to mess with it. Circumventing all those extra points of failure with a simple switch is the next best thing!
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:47 PM   #6

yeah..the old kwikees would come up with the ignition on, but the new ones, not so. i guess a fat lady stepped out and did a face plant with the engine running and walked off singing. now if the magnetic proximity switch doesnt stay engaged the steps travel out. bad news in my book. get the switch and magnet as close as possible. eliminate any door movement as much possible when traveling.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
Ok, I learned something yesterday about these steps, if the engine is running, the steps will go up and down most of the time when the door is open and closed, but will not go up everytime the door is closed...

With the engine off, steps will stay down with the switch flipped.

So I can still drive off with them down and tear them off someone!!

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Are your steps made by Kwikee or Lippert (LCI). Functionally they operate the same with slight variations (door switch etc.). The main interconnect for the ignition switch interlock is provided by the chassis ground wire (the green wire connected to the underside of the step assembly). That wire, if somehow does not have a good ground path it could cause your ignition intermittent operation. The ignition switch only needs to be ON (engine does not have to be running) for the steps to retract and it sounds like the 12 volts from the ignition switch is provided so the chassis ground may be the issue. Metal to metal contact (no paint under the green wire terminal lug and good metal contact through the mounting bolts of the step assembly to the chassis) is required to provide that chassis ground. The step switch for the LCI system when OFF will allow the steps to stay out when the screen door is closed but the ignition override should retract the steps if the door is closed. If the step switch is ON the steps will retract when the screen door is closed. Regardless of switch position or ignition ON or OFF the steps should extend when the door is opened. The steps are powered directly off the battery (25amp fuse). The battery disconnect switch (storage switch) does not have to be ON for the steps to deploy when the door is opened. The ignition interlock should retract the steps no matter storage switch position with the door closed. We have some troubleshooting procedures for both kwikee and LCI steps available if you have a multimeter and know how to use it.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to carluv
I have the same problem on my 335. Just had a new switch installed. Steps were replaced in Feb after the gear bolt sheared off. Noticed several wires are just taped up and hanging.

Now when I start the engine the steps go in fine, but with the engine running and I open the door then close it the steps stay out for 1-2 min, then finally go back in. Could that be the ground wire?
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carluv View Post
I have the same problem on my 335. Just had a new switch installed. Steps were replaced in Feb after the gear bolt sheared off. Noticed several wires are just taped up and hanging.

Now when I start the engine the steps go in fine, but with the engine running and I open the door then close it the steps stay out for 1-2 min, then finally go back in. Could that be the ground wire?
Yes, a poor ground could cause that (and not necessarily show up as a delay when opening and closing door) but also the step control unit and/or door switch can. A by-pass jumper wire from the GREEN wire terminal lug connection to a coach chassis bare metal structure would eliminate the ground as an issue. The door switch for Kwikee steps is supposed to be closed with the door closed (LCI steps=door switch open with door closed). Now, you are dealing with electrical and anything is possible.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to carluv
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Yes, a poor ground could cause that (and not necessarily show up as a delay when opening and closing door) but also the step control unit and/or door switch can. A by-pass jumper wire from the GREEN wire terminal lug connection to a coach chassis bare metal structure would eliminate the ground as an issue. The door switch for Kwikee steps is supposed to be closed with the door closed (LCI steps=door switch open with door closed). Now, you are dealing with electrical and anything is possible.
Ok thanks for the info. I will try the ground first and see what that does. Will keep you posted.
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric