Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #1

electric water heater switch

just discovered my 2011 coach has an electric water heater switch located on the lower left corner of the heater unit, inside the outside cover...it was cotter pinned shut...when I turned it on, heard the generator pick up the load...is there another switch inside somewhere?
I do have a switch inside for the gas water heater control and didn't know of the electric switch as it was not pointed out when we had a walk through...
levendoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #2

My coach is the same. Switch for electric water heating is on the outside of the water heater and gas is on the inside. The only switch inside is for gas operation of the water heater.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Infractee

Just make sure there is water in the tank before turning on the heater.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Anacortesians

I wonder why they changed the design. My 02 rig has a switch, alongside the one that turns the gas water heater on, that directs 115VAC to either the microwave or the water heater.

We often put both heat sources on together when we want a lot of hot water quickly. I don't know if this is a good idea or not.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #5

That is the same set up in almost all of the campers on this forum for trailers, fifth wheels, and motorhomes, too. The power under 110v is controlled on and off by that outside switch under the cover with a pin through it, and also inside in the converter breakers, there is a breaker labeled "water heater". Many of us control the AC power to the W.H. by flipping the breaker at the converter, as it's easier to access. The inside water heater switch near the thermostat and tank indicators is for gas operation. Turn this on, with the gas bottle valve open, and the W.H. will operate in the gas heating mode; also note that when it's up to operating temp, the light will indicate the W.H. cycling on and off, as needed. You can run both electric and gas at the same time, if you desire for faster recovery time, since they are such a small capacity, the 2 service modes operate independently of each other. Hope this helps! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
The Old Man

There are a couple of threads already on mods to add a switch for the electric mode to the inside cabin. Try a search if that sounds like something you might want to try.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Site Team

My outside switch has corroded in the on position ;-((

I also have a 120v breaker for the HWH which I use to
shut it off when necessary.
You might also have a breaker for the HWH which you can use
to turn the electric element on and off. Check your
120v breaker panel and see what you find.
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
My outside switch has corroded in the on position ;-((

I also have a 120v breaker for the HWH which I use to
shut it off when necessary.
You might also have a breaker for the HWH which you can use
to turn the electric element on and off. Check your
120v breaker panel and see what you find.
Ours also is hard to switch back and forth so we use the breaker inside the coach to turn on the electric hot water. As a check, I always turn on the water inside the coach and check if there is water in the hot water lines before turning on the electric hot water switch. The inside circut breaker is much more easier to switch on and off

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

So have I got this right??????

Assuming you've gone camping with full hookups.........

You're disconnecting in the summer from a weekend of camping with full hookups.........sewer, water, electricity. We would assume you would have used electricity to heat the hot water tank all weekend because it's on their service (flat rate electricity) as opposed to YOU using YOUR propane. There'd be NO water in your fresh water tank, you've emptied the grey and black tanks as you leave the park, and you've disconnected the shore line. As soon as the shoreline is disconnected, everything electrical in the living area of the RV would go dead.

All things being equal then, this HWH switch (located in the panel accessed from the outside of the HWH) would have been in the "on" position in order to heat the water using electricity. Not sure when this pin is supposed to be used, nor whether the switch is in the "on" or "off" position when the pin is in use. Anyway..........

Next time you go full hookups camping and connect to electricity, because this outside switch was left in the "on" position, doesn't the HWH automatically start heating up using electricity, the moment the shoreline is connected? This probably shouldn't cause any concern, because there would still be water left in the hot water tank from the last outing. Right?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #10

Who leaves water in the hot water tank when not in use. I drain mine everytime I bring it home. That water can get a little stale in that tank. I replace the annod rod and refill the tank each time were camping. Now if were just going from one park to another or traveling accross the country, yes, I leave the water in it. I use the parks electricty when ever I can. Your paying for it. On the road or drycamping, off goes the electricty and on goes the gas. Gas is a lot faster recovery.

Another thought. If your voltage is low, I would also turn on the gas. Some parks have low voltage and it can burn out the computer boards in your hot water tank, ref, and microwave.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Well, Since we don't actually drink that water I don't drain the water heater or system for that matter until we winterize.

The reason you should always switch the water heater AC off when you do your departure walk around prior to departure is to make sure it is not "On" when you plug in shore power at home. No need to heat that water when you are at home waiting for your next trip out in a few weeks.

If you decide you are going to be home for a while; always having it "off" and pinned will prevent you from frying the heater element when you turn your valves and drain it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #12

Hi levendosky, and kenandterry. To clearly answer your post question, turn the outside pinned switch under thew outer cover to the "on" position, and leave it there from here on out. You now can control the same thing by turning the dedicated circuit breaker located in your converter box labeled for the Water heater on and off, as needed. I never drain my WH either, in 3 years so far. I do however switch the WH breaker and the refrigerator off before disconnecting to leave at the campsite. Upon arrival at a campsite, I hook up the water hose pressure first, turn on the hot water faucet to verify water is present, then turn on the breaker to power the WH. Hope this clears up your question! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
Anacortesians

You replace the anode rod after every trip? The anode rod manufacturers must really love you. It's there to sacrfice itself to prevent corrosion of the tank. If there's still zinc on the rod when you pull it out, put it back.

With relatively good quality water most places in the west, where we travel, I only pull the rod when draining the WH to winterize. This year there was about 60% of the zinc still there, so it goes back in for next season.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
You replace the anode rod after every trip? The anode rod manufacturers must really love you. It's there to sacrfice itself to prevent corrosion of the tank. If there's still zinc on the rod when you pull it out, put it back.

With relatively good quality water most places in the west, where we travel, I only pull the rod when draining the WH to winterize. This year there was about 60% of the zinc still there, so it goes back in for next season.
OK so I left out saying putting the same anode rod back after draining the tank. Were like you, the using the same anote rod more than one season if it is still good. Thats a personal choice about draining the hot water tank each time.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
Old 12-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
Who leaves water in the hot water tank when not in use.
I do. I only drain it when I winterize.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #16

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
On my 2011 378 I had the dealer add a switch inside for the water heater. They put it in a perfect spot, in one of the panels beside the drawer under the closet the washer and dryer go in. You have to walk right by it to go from the bedroom to the bath. Since the electric panel is right underneath it, I imagine that is where they cut into the wiring for the heater. All I have to do then is keep switch outside in the on position.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote