Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 07:22 PM   #1

Electrical

I have a 2014 Georgetown MH. When I open the door the steps stay up. Also the battery switch, for the coach, does not come on. There is no light, no anything. It is like everything in the coach is dead. When I start up the MH, the steps go out, and the coach battery switch works and all the coach functions work. I turn off the ignition and everything works like it should. Why do I have to start the MH in order for the steps and coach function to start working?
Pauline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #2

It sounds like you may have dead "Coach" or "House" batteries. Do you have some kind of voltage readout on your charger control panel?

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
I have a 2014 Georgetown MH. When I open the door the steps stay up. Also the battery switch, for the coach, does not come on. There is no light, no anything. It is like everything in the coach is dead. When I start up the MH, the steps go out, and the coach battery switch works and all the coach functions work. I turn off the ignition and everything works like it should. Why do I have to start the MH in order for the steps and coach function to start working?
My bet is that your coach batteries are dead or that there is a problem in your battery control center. WHen you start the coach the isolation relay closes and the chassis battery is connected to the house batteries and the steps work.

Start with the coach batteries. If they are good, follow the leads up to the BCC and make sure that there is 12 volts all the way up. The steps are powered by the BCC and clearly they are not getting power without the engine running. The disconnect switch is powered from the BCC as well.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #4

If you can actuate the emergency start switch (don't start the engine) and the steps extend (door opened) your coach batteries are depleted.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #5

Thank you all for your replies but if I turn off my ignition 5 seconds after starting and now I have lights, refer,micro oven, steps all working do you still think I have battery problems?
Old 02-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

How long do things continue to work after starting the coach? A few seconds, hours, days?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
Thank you all for your replies but if I turn off my ignition 5 seconds after starting and now I have lights, refer,micro oven, steps all working do you still think I have battery problems?
Evidently you are plugged into shore power (microwave working) or running genny and so your converter is supplying all the DC and your battery could still be bad?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

you are right I forgot about it. But now my step switch doesn't work. I will start checking the batteries. Do you know the manufacture number for the switch? The switch has no numbers on it at all.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #9

5 picker

I don't know I am trying different things now.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #10

On my 378 there is a 50A breaker on the 12V feeding the BCC. If when plug into
shore power coach living & kitchen lights work but engine compartment light or
power awning does not work then it could be that 50A breaker should be checked
and reset. Also if the 50A breaker was tripped the battery would not receive a charge from
the converter and the light on the battery disconnect would not operate.
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, electric