Old 09-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #21

Im leaning to it having to do with moisture... It rained it tripped.. Sprinklers on it tripped.. Shut off sprinklers.. All day yesterday ran perfect .. No tripping... Last night it rained.. Woke up it was tripped.... All day kept cord dry and it didn't trip... I would think if there was a short to ground in the coach it would happen all the time... Is this a fair assumption??

What has me questioning this is the fact of this being a new outdoor heavy duty cord... Both ends are shielded from the weather so how could wster be shorting to ground??

Old 09-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

GFCI protects the human body from shocks and not an overload of power (amps). This about GFCIs: Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs):

2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
All it takes to trip a GFI is moisture around the plug connections. It could be that simple.

This happened to me several months ago. Got near a little water after draining my water tank. To this day, I cannot plug into a Gfi garage outlet or any other GFI. If it was water, why wouldn't it work after drying out.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjester View Post
Im leaning to it having to do with moisture... It rained it tripped.. Sprinklers on it tripped.. Shut off sprinklers.. All day yesterday ran perfect .. No tripping... Last night it rained.. Woke up it was tripped.... All day kept cord dry and it didn't trip... I would think if there was a short to ground in the coach it would happen all the time... Is this a fair assumption??

What has me questioning this is the fact of this being a new outdoor heavy duty cord... Both ends are shielded from the weather so how could wster be shorting to ground??
Shielded from weather does not mean waterproof. All it takes is a small amount of leakage for a GFCI to trip and a bit of condensation can be enough to cause leakage. It could also be related to moisture where the power goes into RV. Remember the idea is for the GFCI to trip well before the risk of electrocution due to a ground fault.

Not to hijack the thread but you say you have a freezer on a GFCI. This is generally not recommended as inductive loads such as freezers and refrigerators can cause false trips of GFCI. I would suggest you have a single outlet without GFCI installed for you freezer. This is allowed by code in most places as long as it is dedicated to the freezer and clearly marked.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #25

I agree on having a dedicated breaker circuit with out a gfic in line for the freezer. For a fridge also. This should be a 20 amp line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #26

I understand the dedicated line for the fridge...and it has it's own circuit ..But the freezer is in the Garage and it was explained to me that code required gfi for all garage receptacles......when / if the electrician returns to once again move the 50amp circuit...
I will ask him about giving me a non Gfi receptacle for the freezer...

I have determined that the GFI trips when it rains or get really humid... Also noticed today that the transparent storage box I keep in the Rv basement had condensation in it...( basement was dry)

Thanks guys...

Tags
electric, electrical