Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #11

Try running the coach engine for 10 minutes and with it running try to start the genset. It has worked for me in the past with the same symptoms.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
Try running the coach engine for 10 minutes and with it running try to start the genset. It has worked for me in the past with the same symptoms.
x2

Major Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #13

Clean your battery terminals

Try cleaning your battery terminals and making sure that your battery fluid level is up above the plates in your batteries. Then charge with a good charger for a couple of hours.

Don
Old 07-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #14

Battery readings should be done under loaded conditions NOT standing on their own.....
Old 07-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #15

X2.. Yup test batteries under load
Old 07-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #16
Weekender

Sounds to me like the 12VDC solenoid inside the control box (probably a RV Custom Products Model SDC-107A) has gone belly up. If you have a meter you can check it as follows; With the shore power disconnected and generator off, check the three large connections on the right side of the control box. The top one should be 0, the middle one will show you the voltage on your batteries (approx. 12.6V if the batteries are charged up) and the lower one will show you the voltage on your chassis battery (again approx. 12.6V). Now plug in the shore power and recheck the top voltage. If it reading approx 13.4 your power converter is functioning. Now check the middle stud again, if the voltage reading has increased to the same value as the top stud, the solenoid is probably okay. If the middle stud voltage does not increase, then the solenoid is probably not working and the only solution is to replace it. Power being supplied to the generator start circuit from the batteries and a host of other 12VDC components are fed through that solenoid.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Your battery appears to be fine. Those items you say that function when not on shore power are fused directly off the battery. Just curious, have you tried to start the genny using the start switch on the genny itself?
X2 on trying to start the generator using the start switch on the generator. There have been a few times the switch on the dash would not work and the one on the generator would.

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #18

Update - appeared to be dead house batteries

After charging the batteries all night via the onboard charger, I still only got the clicking sound from the generator.
I started up my coach and let it idle in the driveway for close to an hour while we loaded it.
As we got ready to go, the interior lights came on and I had electricity.
The generator fired right up.

Clearly I depleted the batteries, and probably damaged them.

But we're on our trip and everything seems to be working.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #19
Weekender

I am glad that you are on the road. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but want you be prepared. The fact that the chassis generator charged your coach batteries almost verifies that the solenoid is inoperative. FYI there are two solenoids in that control box, one that connects the 120VAC to 12VDC converter to charge the coach batteries and the other that kicks in through the Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Module when the engine is running. What all this means is that the 12VDC converter will not charge the batteries while on shore power. The lights, fans, etc. will continue to work as they are directly powered by the 12VDC converter on the upside of the solenoid. Things that are connected directly to the coach batteries through fuses such as the steps and gas detector will not work when the batteries deplete too much. Until that solenoid is replaced only the chassis alternator or a separate battery charger will charge the coach batteries.
I went through this a few months back and had to research the circuitry before I could finally resolve the problem. BTW - the solenoids are available at most RV Parts houses, but it is a bear to change out. RV Custom Products who makes the control box like to sell the whole unit, but I opted for the $30.00 solenoid replacement, self-installed.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #20
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Just making sure...is your battery disconnect on? Try turning it off and back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
electric, electrical