Old 07-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #1

Electrical issue - leaving tomorrow!

RV has been in storage for a few weeks.

Went and filled up with gas, then went to start the generator and got nothing - not even a click.

I wasn't getting any electricity anywhere, and I'm pretty sure I had run down my house batteries by not disconnecting them.

I plugged the charger into 120v outlet and let it charge for a while. When I hit the generator start switch I now get a clicking sound, as in a car when there is not enough juice to turn the starter over.

I am now plugged in to 30 amp service - I tried again and still got the clicking.

I will continue to let it charge.

Any thoughts on what is going on? Could I have discharged my batteries completely and it is just taking a while to charge up? I thought with engine running or plugged into 30 amp that I would no longer be relying on the house batteries, so I'm surprised it's still just clicking and not turning over the generator.

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #2

If the house batteries discharged below 50% they can be ruined. If it were me, I'd disconnect power, check water level in the batteries and then hook up a good charger direct to them, not just the converter. I ruined a new battery by not watching fluid level and one time over discharging killed it.

jtstromsburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #3

worth a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
If the house batteries discharged below 50% they can be ruined. If it were me, I'd disconnect power, check water level in the batteries and then hook up a good charger direct to them, not just the converter. I ruined a new battery by not watching fluid level and one time over discharging killed it.
I just had the batteries checked at O'Reilly's and they tested fine. Not sure how much confidence I have in their test.

Will check the water on them now and charge them - thanks a lot for the suggestion!
Old 07-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #4

Hit the emergency start switch to tie the chassis battery to the coach and see if the genny will start. If it does, your coach battery is low.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #5

Check the voltage at the batteries while the charger is on. You should have 13.8 to 14.4 volts if the converter is charging in bulk mode (which it should be if the batteries are less than 80% of full charge)
Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #6

I will need to see if my darn voltmeter still works - thanks for that tip.

Small update on the situation:

When disconnected from shore power, I get no electricity in the coach, as if the batteries are totally dead (I did make sure the battery connect switch was on). Stairs still extend and retract and awning will deploy/retract. Generator doesn't make any attempt to start.

When connected to shore power, electricity works in the coach, generator makes clicking noise when trying to start.

Do I have a bad switch somewhere? Or a short?
Or is this just the behavior of severely drained batteries?

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. As of right now we're planning on leaving tomorrow without having access to the genny - no Xbox or rear AC going down the road. :-(
I am charging the batteries via 30 amp shore power/onboard battery charger overnight.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #7

Is your inverter on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #8

No inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat26 View Post
Is your inverter on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My coach does not have an inverter installed in it.
Is your thought that something like that is draining the batteries?
Old 07-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatYoga View Post
I will need to see if my darn voltmeter still works - thanks for that tip.

Small update on the situation:

When disconnected from shore power, I get no electricity in the coach, as if the batteries are totally dead (I did make sure the battery connect switch was on). Stairs still extend and retract and awning will deploy/retract. Generator doesn't make any attempt to start.

When connected to shore power, electricity works in the coach, generator makes clicking noise when trying to start.

Do I have a bad switch somewhere? Or a short?
Or is this just the behavior of severely drained batteries?

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. As of right now we're planning on leaving tomorrow without having access to the genny - no Xbox or rear AC going down the road. :-(
I am charging the batteries via 30 amp shore power/onboard battery charger overnight.
Your battery appears to be fine. Those items you say that function when not on shore power are fused directly off the battery. Just curious, have you tried to start the genny using the start switch on the genny itself?
Old 07-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatYoga View Post
RV has been in storage for a few weeks.

Went and filled up with gas, then went to start the generator and got nothing - not even a click.

I wasn't getting any electricity anywhere, and I'm pretty sure I had run down my house batteries by not disconnecting them.

I plugged the charger into 120v outlet and let it charge for a while. When I hit the generator start switch I now get a clicking sound, as in a car when there is not enough juice to turn the starter over.

I am now plugged in to 30 amp service - I tried again and still got the clicking.

I will continue to let it charge.

Any thoughts on what is going on? Could I have discharged my batteries completely and it is just taking a while to charge up? I thought with engine running or plugged into 30 amp that I would no longer be relying on the house batteries, so I'm surprised it's still just clicking and not turning over the generator.

Thanks!
Converters are very weak when it comes to charging batteries and will take days if they're run down. To speed this up you need to put each battery on a strong charger until charged.

Tags
electric, electrical