Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Member
 
CombatYoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 30
Electrical issue - leaving tomorrow!

RV has been in storage for a few weeks.

Went and filled up with gas, then went to start the generator and got nothing - not even a click.

I wasn't getting any electricity anywhere, and I'm pretty sure I had run down my house batteries by not disconnecting them.

I plugged the charger into 120v outlet and let it charge for a while. When I hit the generator start switch I now get a clicking sound, as in a car when there is not enough juice to turn the starter over.

I am now plugged in to 30 amp service - I tried again and still got the clicking.

I will continue to let it charge.

Any thoughts on what is going on? Could I have discharged my batteries completely and it is just taking a while to charge up? I thought with engine running or plugged into 30 amp that I would no longer be relying on the house batteries, so I'm surprised it's still just clicking and not turning over the generator.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
2015 Georgetown 27S
CombatYoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
jtstromsburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Stromsburg, Nebraska
Posts: 1,654
If the house batteries discharged below 50% they can be ruined. If it were me, I'd disconnect power, check water level in the batteries and then hook up a good charger direct to them, not just the converter. I ruined a new battery by not watching fluid level and one time over discharging killed it.
__________________

__________________
Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
Member
 
CombatYoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 30
worth a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
If the house batteries discharged below 50% they can be ruined. If it were me, I'd disconnect power, check water level in the batteries and then hook up a good charger direct to them, not just the converter. I ruined a new battery by not watching fluid level and one time over discharging killed it.
I just had the batteries checked at O'Reilly's and they tested fine. Not sure how much confidence I have in their test.

Will check the water on them now and charge them - thanks a lot for the suggestion!
__________________
2015 Georgetown 27S
CombatYoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,563
Hit the emergency start switch to tie the chassis battery to the coach and see if the genny will start. If it does, your coach battery is low.
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bluepill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 935
Check the voltage at the batteries while the charger is on. You should have 13.8 to 14.4 volts if the converter is charging in bulk mode (which it should be if the batteries are less than 80% of full charge)
__________________
2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H
Bluepill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
Member
 
CombatYoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 30
I will need to see if my darn voltmeter still works - thanks for that tip.

Small update on the situation:

When disconnected from shore power, I get no electricity in the coach, as if the batteries are totally dead (I did make sure the battery connect switch was on). Stairs still extend and retract and awning will deploy/retract. Generator doesn't make any attempt to start.

When connected to shore power, electricity works in the coach, generator makes clicking noise when trying to start.

Do I have a bad switch somewhere? Or a short?
Or is this just the behavior of severely drained batteries?

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. As of right now we're planning on leaving tomorrow without having access to the genny - no Xbox or rear AC going down the road. :-(
I am charging the batteries via 30 amp shore power/onboard battery charger overnight.
__________________
2015 Georgetown 27S
CombatYoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #7
Member
 
swamprat26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 72
Is your inverter on?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
swamprat26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #8
Member
 
CombatYoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 30
No inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat26 View Post
Is your inverter on?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My coach does not have an inverter installed in it.
Is your thought that something like that is draining the batteries?
__________________
2015 Georgetown 27S
CombatYoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatYoga View Post
I will need to see if my darn voltmeter still works - thanks for that tip.

Small update on the situation:

When disconnected from shore power, I get no electricity in the coach, as if the batteries are totally dead (I did make sure the battery connect switch was on). Stairs still extend and retract and awning will deploy/retract. Generator doesn't make any attempt to start.

When connected to shore power, electricity works in the coach, generator makes clicking noise when trying to start.

Do I have a bad switch somewhere? Or a short?
Or is this just the behavior of severely drained batteries?

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. As of right now we're planning on leaving tomorrow without having access to the genny - no Xbox or rear AC going down the road. :-(
I am charging the batteries via 30 amp shore power/onboard battery charger overnight.
Your battery appears to be fine. Those items you say that function when not on shore power are fused directly off the battery. Just curious, have you tried to start the genny using the start switch on the genny itself?
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatYoga View Post
RV has been in storage for a few weeks.

Went and filled up with gas, then went to start the generator and got nothing - not even a click.

I wasn't getting any electricity anywhere, and I'm pretty sure I had run down my house batteries by not disconnecting them.

I plugged the charger into 120v outlet and let it charge for a while. When I hit the generator start switch I now get a clicking sound, as in a car when there is not enough juice to turn the starter over.

I am now plugged in to 30 amp service - I tried again and still got the clicking.

I will continue to let it charge.

Any thoughts on what is going on? Could I have discharged my batteries completely and it is just taking a while to charge up? I thought with engine running or plugged into 30 amp that I would no longer be relying on the house batteries, so I'm surprised it's still just clicking and not turning over the generator.

Thanks!
Converters are very weak when it comes to charging batteries and will take days if they're run down. To speed this up you need to put each battery on a strong charger until charged.
__________________

__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, electrical

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.