Old 11-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #11

Thanks Iggy, There is one GFI outlet in the bathroom, but that circuit was not affected at all...is it possible to have 2 GFIs in a 50 amp service RV? Called Forest River customer service, left a message and havent yet got a call back...thanks!!

Old 11-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda50 View Post
Thanks Iggy, There is one GFI outlet in the bathroom, but that circuit was not affected at all...is it possible to have 2 GFIs in a 50 amp service RV? Called Forest River customer service, left a message and havent yet got a call back...thanks!!
Check your outside compartments. I have a GFCI in my storage. Also, check the kitchen outlets. Failing to fix by resetting GFCI's, get a pro to look at it.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #13

UPDATE:::: Problem completely solved!!! The offending outlet (with heaters in it) and the crackling outlet in bedroom are replaced and everything is completely back to normal. Used the screw type outlet.

I want to thank everyone who advised and provided info....you greatly helped!!!

I only wonder, though, why the breaker did not trip? Seems that would have been the first thing to go...LOL Anyway, we learned a big lesson here (what we can safely put into each outlet) and thankfully at a cost of under $15 ;D Amazing!!!
Old 11-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda50 View Post
UPDATE:::: Problem completely solved!!! The offending outlet (with heaters in it) and the crackling outlet in bedroom are replaced and everything is completely back to normal. Used the screw type outlet.

I want to thank everyone who advised and provided info....you greatly helped!!!

I only wonder, though, why the breaker did not trip? Seems that would have been the first thing to go...LOL Anyway, we learned a big lesson here (what we can safely put into each outlet) and thankfully at a cost of under $15 ;D Amazing!!!

The cracking sound was the arching of a loose connection.
Circuit breakers trip when you have an overload of amp that exceed the circuit breaker. It will also trip if the hot wire at the outlet touched the ground or neutral wire.

Glad this one is solved.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #15

Concerning outlets - GFCI's are usually near any water or in the outside compartments - I have one in the outside water convenience center, who know why, seems like a dumb place to have an outlet - and the connections on every outlet should be checked for tightness, probably once a year or so. Afterall, hauling these things around at 60 or MPH is like a constant Richter Scale 4.7 for each trip. Of course that goes for any mechanical connection be it electrical, water, or physical.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Concerning outlets - GFCI's are usually near any water or in the outside compartments - I have one in the outside water convenience center, who know why, seems like a dumb place to have an outlet - and the connections on every outlet should be checked for tightness, probably once a year or so. Afterall, hauling these things around at 60 or MPH is like a constant Richter Scale 4.7 for each trip. Of course that goes for any mechanical connection be it electrical, water, or physical.
GROUND FAULT CURRENT INTERRUPTER
Basically water and electricity mixed will easily kill a person.
I won't go into electrical theory but take my word for it.
The GFCI outlet will quickly sense a resistive electrical current path to ground and shut down much quicker than a circuit breaker. A hair large hair dryer will trip it sometimes because the heating elements slowly heat up which makes the GFCI that someone or thing is making a direct short to ground. This is a variable resistive load.

You will always find GFCI outlet attached to outside outlets and any where water is located. This is to save a person from electric shock when you make contact to water which is also a source to ground which in turn makes a electrical direct short.
This is only if a body/ human makes contact to a energized conductor meaning the black or red wire in the outlet.
It can also happen if you touch a damaged metal toaster case, etc.
Hope this give you some basic idea what they are used to prevent.

Here is a great link that better describes it than I. Oh it has pictures also.
http://ecmweb.com/content/how-gfcis-work

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical