Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #1

Emergency Exit

Yesterday the lock broke on my Georgetown 360DS, I was inside! removed the plate on the lock however there was not enough clearance to completely remove it, I tried to move the leaver but could not get the right angle. My only choice was to climb out the window Any else have a similar situation and what did you do??? I had never thought how serious this situation was until it happened

A couple of things went through my mind:

(a) no place to put your foot climbing out the window

(b) I am going to fall

(c) can my wife climb out

(d) what if I was not strong enough to life myself down. Its 4-6 feet to the ground...could be jumping onto a busy road
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
Yesterday the lock broke on my Georgetown 360DS, I was inside! removed the plate on the lock however there was not enough clearance to completely remove it, I tried to move the leaver but could not get the right angle. My only choice was to climb out the window Any else have a similar situation and what did you do??? I had never thought how serious this situation was until it happened

A couple of things went through my mind:

(a) no place to put your foot climbing out the window

(b) I am going to fall

(c) can my wife climb out

(d) what if I was not strong enough to life myself down. Its 4-6 feet to the ground...could be jumping onto a busy road
This was a blessing in disguise! Now you can think about how to Get out in a FIRE! If you ever are in a location where "Mac the Fire Guy" is showing how to use a "Egress Window "it will certainly Open your eyes to how important a Exit Plan is! You have seen how difficult it is, people don't just "Jump Out "! Youroo! !
Old 12-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #3

Mac the Fite guy was at Goshen this past FR Rally
We went to his seminar and glad we did. Taught us s lot. As for your lock breaking our Judy broke 2 days ago and I use a pocket knife to open it, just enough leverage to push the latch in. I thought I was going to have to climb out the window since I left my phone in the house.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Mac the Fite guy was at Goshen this past FR Rally
We went to his seminar and glad we did. Taught us s lot. As for your lock breaking our Judy broke 2 days ago and I use a pocket knife to open it, just enough leverage to push the latch in. I thought I was going to have to climb out the window since I left my phone in the house.
I was a catch guy for Mac at Goshen last year, found a easier job this year! It is a serious condition to exit a burning MH,but it is a Long way Down! Youroo! !
Old 12-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #5

Youroo, if you were one of the catch guys you probably caught my wife as she was coming or the window during one of the climbing out the window demonstrations.
Mac is a very knoledgable man and funny too.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Youroo, if you were one of the catch guys you probably caught my wife as she was coming or the window during one of the climbing out the window demonstrations.
Mac is a very knoledgable man and funny too.
Wrapperman, could you please send me information for my "Class action " I have going for my Back injury! Youroo! !
Old 12-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #7

I am sure that it would be easier to jump out the window with fire and smoke licking your heels than it would if there was not that motivator! Falling 4 to 6 feet onto pavement would be the least of your worries. Look at those who jump out of windows many stories up. Now, what I would not want is to be caught in a motor home fire and not have immediate access to an exit. Even in our TT we have a door to our bedroom as well as the living room at the opposite end of the trailer.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Fellow member Doug (ependydad) did a somewhat amusing write up about using the emergency exit window last year. (or maybe earlier this year, I can't remember) Even though it was lighthearted and he poked fun at himself, it was an eye opener for most of us reading.

I have since purchased a fire extinguisher to keep by the bed (the one that came with the 5th wheel is mounted by the door) to hopefully allow enough time for an escape route to the door.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #9

Happen to me recently. Took me 2 hours to find a way to open the door from the inside. The handle manufacturer is aware of this safety issue but does not do anything. I will support anyone that could initiate some action. I am in Canada. If any Canadian had that issue, please email me and we will bring that up to Transport Canada.
douxyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #10

I keep a small two step ladder stowed behind the couch. Used it once to climb out the front passenger side window. My wife is short and it comes in handy when cleaning out cupboards, etc. I have also used it outside for cleaning, waxing, etc.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #11

Youroo, too funny. I am not going to tell my wife what you said because then she wouldn't let me play with you if we ever met.
My wife is the one who Mac told to stop half way out while he talked. She was a little embarrassed about that but took it in stride.
Thanks for catching her.