Old 05-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #1

Emergency Exit Window

Just read a thread on another forum that got me thinking.
Has anyone tried opening the emergency rear window just to make sure it opens freely and doesn't stick in case its ever needed?
On a previous RV I owned they were designed to fall out if opened so I have never tried it on this one.

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Mine has the lever arm so it can be opened regularly. Make SURE it latches solidly as wind can suck it open till it bangs against the sidewall and break.

I always check for free movement and "unstick" the seals and spray them with silicon during Spring Cleaning/dewinterizing.

Also DW would not survive the jump, so I bought a small 13 foot rolled safety escape ladder. http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Two-Stor...+escape+ladder

The front (dinette) escape window has latches and the window has no hinge at the top. That one will fall out if opened, so be careful.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Just read a thread on another forum that got me thinking.
Has anyone tried opening the emergency rear window just to make sure it opens freely and doesn't stick in case its ever needed?
On a previous RV I owned they were designed to fall out if opened so I have never tried it on this one.
Funny you ask as I was thinking the same thing a few days back. Not sure if it's hinged or if it just comes off in case of an emergency.

You first.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #4

I have had mine opened while working on my bed mod to get some fresh air inside, it always opens freely!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #5

So it's hinged on top?
Old 05-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #6

Escape Window

I wonder what model of Hehr window our Georgetown's have? I would like to replace the back bedroom escape window with with one that has a slide or window that opens for ventilation. The two side windows don't do much to allow cross ventilation. Any ideas?
Maddog378 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #7

Mine is hinged. It was stuck though when I tried to open it doing spring maintenance. I carefully applied a little pressure in the lower corners and it opened. I just wiped and cleaned my seals similar to what Herk7769 does. Only difference is I used 303 spray on a rag.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamu View Post
Mine is hinged. It was stuck though when I tried to open it doing spring maintenance. I carefully applied a little pressure in the lower corners and it opened. I just wiped and cleaned my seals similar to what Herk7769 does. Only difference is I used 303 spray on a rag.
I'll try that. +1 on using 303
Old 05-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #9

Yup, hinged at top, I just propped the bottom open with an empty box I had at the time. I will probably clean and silicone spray the seals as well!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #10

During camping season, I open mine daily for ventilation, especially while cleaning. I also show every new person that camps with us where they are and how to use them and have them open one. You never know if you will need them.....................I pray that no one ever needs them. I never thought of a roll up escape ladder.. Will have check into those.

2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote