Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Emissions Testing

Just received my invitation to get my Georgetown motorhome tested for emissions. Has anyone else had the pleasure? If so do you know where they plugged the tester in. I've looked all over the place and have yet to locate it. Hopefully they know where to look but I thought if someone knew where it is and they don't I could direct them to the connection. Thanks for any assistance you could give.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #2

It's funny that you posted this, about an hour ago I just came back from having my 1997 3/4 ton GMC Suburban emissions test in Westminster and I had a conversation with the person doing the test as to why the test on my vehicle was different then the others, he said because the Suburban is considered over weight so therefore the testing is different. With an over weight vehicle they do a test on idle speed, then at 2500 rpm's and then idle speed again this is all done at the exhaust pipe and never connect to the on board computer in the vehicle. OK what is concidered over weight...anything over 8,500 lbs. The Suburban is approx 10,000 lbs....What a way to get more money!
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I'm going to the Westminster VEIP Station tomorrow. I wasn't sure how they would do the motorhome. I was really surprised that it was still $14. I looked over the engine compartment and next to the driver's seat and steering column and I couldn't locate where they'd plug in. So we'll see tomorrow how they go about it. I'll post the outcome.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 06-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #4

Mine was $14.00 as well. I was in the second bay from the left. I didn't think to ask if RV's are done different. Good luck..
Old 06-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #5

We used to have to emission test at our old house but we moved about 10 miles down the road to a town where we are outside the testing area. However it was always a real pet peeve of mine that they test RVs at all. They are not used whithin the effected area as a commuter vehicle but are driven away from the area being tested. Just another way for local government to get our money and disquise it as an attempt to do something good for the evironment. What a load of bull*%$#
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #6

If they want more money then just add it to the price of the tags but MVA always finds a reason to raise the price any way. The testing here in Maryland is every two years, anything can happen with in that time frame.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Well I went to the Emission Testing facility in Westminster MD this morning. I found out the motorhome is exempt from testing and there was no charge. So I was given a slip of paper to keep in the glove box. The technician stopped me on the side of the building, took my slip and asked how long was the motorhome. She went back inside and a couple minutes later another person gave me the exemption paper. She said I should never receive another notice unless I change my tags, then it would cycle through the system again. On my way there I saw another Georgetown heading towards Gettysburg. I was directly behind him until the hill and the 5er in front of him slowed. I went by, waved and continued to the testing facility. I was really surprised that they didn't charge me the $14. So basically I went for a nice Saturday morning drive. I would have rather been following the others to a nice campground, but we're still waiting on our first granddaughter to be born any day now.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 06-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Well I went to the Emission Testing facility in Westminster MD this morning. I found out the motorhome is exempt from testing and there was no charge. So I was given a slip of paper to keep in the glove box. The technician stopped me on the side of the building, took my slip and asked how long was the motorhome. She went back inside and a couple minutes later another person gave me the exemption paper. She said I should never receive another notice unless I change my tags, then it would cycle through the system again. On my way there I saw another Georgetown heading towards Gettysburg. I was directly behind him until the hill and the 5er in front of him slowed. I went by, waved and continued to the testing facility. I was really surprised that they didn't charge me the $14. So basically I went for a nice Saturday morning drive. I would have rather been following the others to a nice campground, but we're still waiting on our first granddaughter to be born any day now.

That's great news, glad it worked out. So how does it fell to come out on top for a change?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
That's great news, glad it worked out. So how does it fell to come out on top for a change?
Strange, but I'll take it.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #10

I know this doesn't apply to you anymore, but my 315DS SE has the OBD II connector on the right side of the steering column, a real pain in the butt to get to. Yes we have emissions testing here in TX too, or at least DFW and Houston.

2008 Georgetown 315DS SE
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
I know this doesn't apply to you anymore, but my 315DS SE has the OBD II connector on the right side of the steering column, a real pain in the butt to get to. Yes we have emissions testing here in TX too, or at least DFW and Houston.

2008 Georgetown 315DS SE
Thanks for the reply. I'll check there just in case anyone ever needs to connect to it for diagnostics. I think I'll use a site mirror to look so I can avoid getting stuck in one of those not too pleasant positions.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #12

No problem, I found it while I was looking for the brake controller connector, you don't have any idea where that is do you? I am assuming it has one since I have the 7 pin connector on the rear hitch. I am getting ready to buy a tow dolly with electric brakes, and need to know where the connector is. Does your M/H have one? I have the F53 chassis.

Kevin
Old 06-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #13
Site Team

Take a look at this file. It shows the connector to be behind the center instrument panel. I read where one guy found it taped to the steering column.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/TRUCKBBAS...tml/Q119R1.pdf

You should have a pigtail to connect to it, but if not you can get one from either Ford or if you'd rather, Tekonsha makes one. Their part number is 3034-P. It goes from the 14 pin plug to the controller.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
No problem, I found it while I was looking for the brake controller connector, you don't have any idea where that is do you? I am assuming it has one since I have the 7 pin connector on the rear hitch. I am getting ready to buy a tow dolly with electric brakes, and need to know where the connector is. Does your M/H have one? I have the F53 chassis.

Kevin
We have the F53 Chassis as well but flat tow our Grand Am. We had Camping World set everything up with the Brake Master System. They most likely used the wire but I have no idea where they made their connections up front. I can relate to the back soreness. I've had two back operations as well as put on an extra layer around the waste. Ok, I sugar coated it. I'm what's considered a Post-Skinny human being

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #15

Thanks for the reply's everybody. I am going to look again next time I get it out of storage. I already have a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller and an adaptor that I used to plug it into my Ford Expedition when I was towing my Roo. With any luck it will even be the same adapter.

Kevin