Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #1

Question EMS Electrical Management System

Would like your opinion on getting an Electrical Management System (EMS). I am picking up my first Class A next month...Georgetown 328TS, and have read that I should have one of these. Not really sure what it does, or which one works the best.

Any advice/recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks.
Fitz
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #2

There are several out there, but I have a Progressive Industries HW50 EMS. I think they are worth every penny. Different one have different features. The PI EMS has surge, hi voltage, low voltage, open neutral, open ground and crossed neutral/hot/ground protection (I think I listed everything). It also has a display that shows voltage, amps and frequency on each leg.

I would definitely get one, as campgrounds have questionable electrical systems.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
Site Team

X2 on progressive. Cost of the protection is small as compared to the damage a low voltage or surge can cause. The Progressive has a lifetime warranty which is important as protecting from a major surge will in most cases destroy the device ( part of the protection function). If you plan to stay at places that have many larger units, a unit hat has full protection ( not just surge protection) is important as many campgrounds were built before RV had two and three 15K AC units and can have low voltage problems on hot days. You have the option of permanent mount or portable( plugin). trade offs on both.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
X2 on progressive. Cost of the protection is small as compared to the damage a low voltage or surge can cause. The Progressive has a lifetime warranty which is important as protecting from a major surge will in most cases destroy the device ( part of the protection function). If you plan to stay at places that have many larger units, a unit hat has full protection ( not just surge protection) is important as many campgrounds were built before RV had two and three 15K AC units and can have low voltage problems on hot days. You have the option of permanent mount or portable( plugin). trade offs on both.
X's 3 the only one to get and the hard wire one.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

One of the first things I did when I bought my GT. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1476976452.391306.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	123471

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #6

What is the advantage of the hard wire over the plug in? Or the plug in over the hard wire? Thanks
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #7

Another happy Progressive owner here. I have the hardwired version. Wanted it to be secure and didn't want to have one more thing to carry.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFitz View Post
What is the advantage of the hard wire over the plug in? Or the plug in over the hard wire? Thanks
With the hard wire, you never have to mess with anything, worry about it being stolen, protecting from environment, etc. I plug in, flip the breaker, and then watch display to make sure I'm good.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #9
Always Learning

I try to talk about the reasons for having one here:
What Surge Protector is best for my RV? | Learn To RV

I also give the pros/cons to portable vs. hardwired.

And overwhelming recommend the Progressive Industries EMS.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #10

X 10 to all that was said.
Look for a good deal on price.
Here is one for $269 plus shipping.
You may find one better as we get closer to the holidays if you don't plan on doing any camping.

Progressive Industries Electrical Management System Hardwire, 50A..
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #11

Will it still work if you have to use a 30amp connection via an adapter?
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:11 PM   #12

Yup - works fine when connected to a 30 A outlet with an adapter. Or a household 15 A outlet with yet another adapter...

Oh, and X... what is it... 26 now? on the Progressive EMS. One of the first things I added to my Pursuit. Provides great peace of mind. Scroll down here for some pics of my installation:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d-94602-3.html

Page 5 of the same thread shows how I mounted the remote display inside the coach.

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #13

I have the portable Progressive and I like that it is portable and I can take it to my next RV or send it in to progressive easily if it ever fails and still have use of the coach. I can also check out power at any plug without having to move the coach first....It cycles through both leg1 and leg2 and gives you amps, volts and any error conditions. The Progressive lifetime warranty also beats a lot of the others.
I really like how it samples everything for about 2 minutes when you plug in before allowing current into the coach.
Some people like the "theft proof" permanently installed version but I just carry a master lock and bike cable with me which mates to the metal tab on the portable one and have had no problems at any campground. The 30 amp adapter works fine with it too. First thing I bought after sewer hose! Never have had a reason to regret it.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #14

Have the hard wired version ,installed myself. Have found 2 bad power pedestals so far, one was a low voltage situation and the ems shut down the pedestal until voltage returned to acceptable output, protecting appliances as intended.
conddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #15

My Progressive detected 2 open grounds this summer. In both cases the campground electrician confirmed this and replaced / required the breaker. Wish I had the hard wired unit for the reasons mentioned
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #16

One two occasions it saved me.
One time in Mexico when voltage fell below 90 volts.

On the other occasion in Pennsylvania voltage at a campground went over 130 volts and my system shut down to save everything. The rest of the rigs smoked all their electrical.

Now they continue to monitor and will reactive automatically when everything gets back to normal parameters.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #17

EMS Electrical Management System

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFitz View Post

The hard wired one is just one less thing to hook up at the pedestal. Don't have to worry about theft or getting wet. You also don't have to walk out to the pedestal to read the display.

I actually connected my hard wired one using plugs and receptacles. That way I can bypass it if it fails. I also have the pedestal plug-in one as a backup.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:50 PM   #18

X's 100. Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C.
EMS-HW50C 50 Amp Hardwired EMS with Remote Display

$257 or $307 with remote display monitor.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #19

I too agree Progressive well worth the $. I took a big hit last summer on a Sunday. Called and the president answered. Sent it back and replaced it in a couple of days. I have the portable, but saw a thread with a great suggestion to cut the 50amp cord near the box and add plugs so I can plug in the portable but keep it in the locked electrical bay. That way if I get hit again, I can simply unplug it to send it back. How easy is it to Uninstall and bypass the hardwired unit if you must?

Oops just saw 325bh's comment. Glad it works!
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #20

The nice thing many about this Power Management box is that if the electrical grid gets hit by a lighting strike you have a separate board that will blow a bunch of metal-oxide varistor (MOV).

If this happens you will be unable to use the box at all.

If you need to use power their is a bypass by opening the box and finding the little blue wire that is not attached to anything and plastic ties to one of the cables. It will have a female spade connector on it on.

You will also see the MOV board all burnt up with blue or red devices that probably will be black and smell from smoke.
This board can be unplugged from the board then you take the blue wire and attach it to the male spade connector on the input side of the board.
They have more details in the manual.

You contact the company about the board and will send you one for free or may charge you shipping then you just install and you have your lightning protection again.

I attached a copy of the 50 Amp instructions
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HW50C.pdf (388.6 KB, 24 views)

Tags
electric, electrical