Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

End of year Maintenance

getting a jump on the end of season threads:

ok so who does their own winterizing? I'm thinking I got it figured out on my 2014 335 if I can get the hot water bypass correct. The lack of a real manual leaves a lot to interpret.

anybody do there own oil change and have any advice? I just cant bear to just take it to those idio....er dum...er...guys at where I bought it. They basically want you to drop it off and then someday they will call you to come get it...wha??

anything else we should be looking at for end of year?

i'm also thinking of leaving it plugged into power during the winter or is it best to just unplug and hit the battery disconnect?
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Valves should look like this for winterize.

I leave mine plugged in over the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130911_155158.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	39591  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullenw View Post
getting a jump on the end of season threads:

ok so who does their own winterizing? I'm thinking I got it figured out on my 2014 335 if I can get the hot water bypass correct. The lack of a real manual leaves a lot to interpret.

anybody do there own oil change and have any advice? I just cant bear to just take it to those idio....er dum...er...guys at where I bought it. They basically want you to drop it off and then someday they will call you to come get it...wha??

anything else we should be looking at for end of year?

i'm also thinking of leaving it plugged into power during the winter or is it best to just unplug and hit the battery disconnect?
I take mine to a Ford truck dealer for oil changes. They have found several issues that were under warranty that I hadn't noticed. I know they do it right and find all the fittings.

I do my own winterizing. Get a 5 gallon bucket to pour the antifreeze into so you don't have to keep running outside to change the one gallon containers.

Do a very detailed inspection of the roof and fix.

I leave my batteries in the coach, but assed a cutoff blade switch. I go out every 2-4 weeks and drive it about 5 miles. It charges the batteries, keeps the tires from getting a flat spot and lubricates the engine.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #4

I need to take a pic of the HW valves in the 335...its a bit different. I'll need to find a "ford truck" place around here north of Indianapolis.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #5

For your hot water tank, basically look at the valves. You probably have three.
Two near the tank and one in between the two going to the tank.
What you want to do is shut the two near the tank, so you aren't pumping antifreeze into the tank from the hot or cold side.
The third one between the other two, is so when you pump antifreeze into your system, it basically will just flow between the cold going in and the hot going out. Since you have the two near the tank closed, it has no choice but to flow between the two then.
Hope that makes some sense and some help.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #6

I have a 2007 Georgetown XL 378. Anyone know where the hose is to suck up the antifreeze?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaminski View Post
I have a 2007 Georgetown XL 378. Anyone know where the hose is to suck up the antifreeze?

Thanks in advance
On my 2005 GT XL, there is not a hose to suck up the antifreeze unless you installed it yourself. I simply use a portable hand pump with one end attached to the city water input and the other free in the antifreeze jug. DW turns on the various water faucets and flushes while I pump and pump and... you get it.

Then, I pour some antifreeze into the sink and shower traps. Of course the hot water bypass is on and the fresh water is drained and then a beer.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #8

"...and then a beer".

^this
Old 09-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Denver, CO

Quote:
"...and then a beer".

^this
Beer first, at the break and then after. Everything should be done in three's (or 6 or 9 etc)
Old 09-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:

Thanks in advance
On mine it is buy the water pump on the right side. There are two round white plugs. The first time I did mine I took the panel right off, then you can see everything. Behind the back wheel you will see the drains and if you lay on your back and look up you will see an other round plug. Take it out and look up and you will see the valves to bypass the water heater.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
PPST OGCDG

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Pump Converter Winterizer Kit - Camco 36543 - Winterizing - Camping World

In my area of South Eastern VA I drain holding tanks, Pour RV Antifreeze in the drain traps, By-Pass the hot water heater, Drain the Hot water heater, use the air compressor set at 35lbs and blow out the water lines and Open the low point drains. I do not put any Antifreeze in the fresh water lines at all.
I do not use W^[ M^#T brand RV Antifreeze any more it the fresh water lines. Because it hard to remove the taste and smell after it is drained in the spring time.
If this Brand of Antifreeze with do this to a Water Filter housing what will it do to the fresh water lines.
Here is a Picture of a new filter Housing on the left and the old filter housing on the right.
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #12

aren't you supposed to cap the water filter line?...filling that up doesn't make sense to me
Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
aren't you supposed to cap the water filter line?...filling that up doesn't make sense to me
Capped pepsi bottle in the filter canister takes up that space.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
Canadian Member

I just pumped antifreeze into my water lines but forgot to remove the water filter from the canister. Is there any need to remove it or can I just leave it in? I always put a brand new filter in in the Spring so I'm not concerned about reusing that filter.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Capped pepsi bottle in the filter canister takes up that space.

Turbs
Last year I did the pepsi bottle thing.
This year I pulled the fitter and and then used the antifreeze in the canister to dump in the traps and left the canister empty.
I also disconnected and drained the lines to the to the ice maker a water dispense.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
Always Learning

Don't forget pink to the toilets with flushing them- I had a cracked water valve the first trip of this year because I didn't.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #17

If there is an anti-freeze hose it is near the water pump and has a small filter and plug on it. If you do not have one install a T and valve between the freshwater tank and pump. Winterization is no problem, but take your time and take notes. Once the pump is on and the valves are turned and the anti freeze is flowing every single inch of line must be flushed. Don't forget the toilet flusher, the outdoor faucet if you have one, the drain hoses, the sink traps, the water filter(take out the filter) It takes me about two gallons.
Follow the owner's manual carefully, a mistake can be a costly hassle. Once you do it one year, the next will be easier if you make yourself a checklist and follow it carefully. The same is true of spring startup. As far as engine and chassis, follow the manual and keep records. It is just a truck,and anyone with mechanical ability can do it, but you cannot make any mistakes.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance