Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #1

Engine Gauge Accuracy ?

I have to question the accuracy of the trans temp and water temp gauges. When I first start my coach the gauges show no temperature but will only take a minute for both of them to move to just under half. We have taken a couple trips up to Flagstaff from Phoenix which has a couple steep climbs. Neither gauge moves at all. I want to believe the cooling system is that good but hardly believe it to be so. Just wondering if anyone else has seen that with their gauges. Thanks

2013 Can Am Maverick
Glamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamping View Post
I have to question the accuracy of the trans temp and water temp gauges. When I first start my coach the gauges show no temperature but will only take a minute for both of them to move to just under half. We have taken a couple trips up to Flagstaff from Phoenix which has a couple steep climbs. Neither gauge moves at all. I want to believe the cooling system is that good but hardly believe it to be so. Just wondering if anyone else has seen that with their gauges. Thanks
Exact same with mine. Most wear happens while things are heating up. Looks like Ford has found a way to quickly get up to temp and keep it nailed there. V10 and tranny should last a long time!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:

Ford temperature guages won't move from their normal position until they far exceed maximum temps. So what I'm saying is that you must have the engine water level very low or the transmission has a problem you won't see the guages move until things are at their worst.

I have driven my Georgetown up long grades at high amient temps and neither guage moved at all. I have also driven highway speed at 114 degrees with AC full on and towing a car and neither guage moved off of normal.
You can try and google this and you may find out what actual temps will make them move off of normal but like I said it probably would make any difference becasue you will probably know by then you have an over heated engine or transmission.

PS I also drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff a few time and don't overheat. You just have a good V-10 and tranny underneith

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the verification. Will feel more comfortable knowing this on our next trip.

2013 Can Am Maverick
Glamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks guys for the verification. Will feel more comfortable knowing this on our next trip.
Connie and Rich
Being w eboth live in Surprise AZ if you ever want to compare notes on our motorhomes or you have any questions maybe we can get together and chat.
John

Old 08-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Site Team

I don't know who makes your particular chassis but it is true that many Ford gauges are essentially an idiot light in gauge form. They are definitely "managed" to remain centered. Unfortunately, that does not allow you to head off a potential problem such as impending overheating. The gauge will suddenly swing to the red zone and you already have a problem.

I bought a ScanGaugeII for that very reason. The water temp in my Ecoboost varies WIDELY based on how far into the turbos I am. I see it in the ScanGauge. The "gauge" on the dash never moves. I monitor my trans temp with the ScanGauge also.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I don't know who makes your particular chassis but it is true that many Ford gauges are essentially an idiot light in gauge form. They are definitely "managed" to remain centered. Unfortunately, that does not allow you to head off a potential problem such as impending overheating. The gauge will suddenly swing to the red zone and you already have a problem.

I bought a ScanGaugeII for that very reason. The water temp in my Ecoboost varies WIDELY based on how far into the turbos I am. I see it in the ScanGauge. The "gauge" on the dash never moves. I monitor my trans temp with the ScanGauge also.
The Ford F53 motorhome chassis with V-10 has ford dash and guages.
I was looking at the ScanGauge but no one could tell me for sure if it will monitor transmission temp or not. I know it will engine water temp.
I would get it if it showed transmission temp.