Old 02-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #21
Tinkerer and Putterer

oh and a good sound deadener is a whole lot cheaper than a diesel pusher if engine noise it your primary complaint.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-11103-...ords=Dynaliner

Dynaliner will also cut down on heat and it's easy to install once you get the stock carpet removed. Now putting it on the engine cover, that will require some precision cutting but it can be done.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #22

HappyGuy - have you used the sound deadener? On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being most quiet) what would you believe it to be?

I.E. On the road mine at 65 mph and 2400 RPM mine is an 8. At 65 mph and 4000 rpm noise is a 3.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #23

X3 on the gasser noise - acceptable for us - and way less money?
borba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
I just purchased a 2015 GT. On flat terrain, the engine noise is quite acceptable. But, much of this country is definitely not flat. Although I've only put a couple of thousand miles on my new GT, I find the noise intolerable when in passing gear. This is especially noticeable on a long uphill drive of 10 minutes or more. Engine sounds like it's going to explode at any second especially over 4,000 rpm. The carpet over the doghouse sounds like a good idea and I plan to try it.

Check out the 5 star tune it will change your shift points, give a small increase in torque and horsepower. Gas mileage will stay about the same. I had the same problem now just about goes over 3000 rpms on inclines. Would not have another f53 without it.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #25

Thanks. That sounds like good advice. But, I have two questions: what is a "5 Star Tune"; and what impact could this have on the warranty?
Old 02-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #26

http://www.5startuning.com/got-a-v10-rv/

This is the link any questions give them a call and ask for mike. I have had my motorhome at the ford service department for warranty work. And has not been an issue I just return it to stock tune before taking it in.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #27
Tinkerer and Putterer

I used to do high end stereo installs that focused on sound quality (I didn't waste my time with the boomers) and I can say that dynapad works as advertised. There are other manufacturers out there Boom Mat and Image Dynamics come to mind but I have stayed with the Dyna- products because I know they work and install as advertised. I have two rolls of Dynapad in my garage right now that will be going into my rig as soon as the ice melts a bit and I find time to make the changes. It will kill heat transfer and helps on engine and road noise transmission but it isn't a cure all. You have to add in some dynamat on some of the larger flat surfaces to cut resonance. Covering about 1/4 of a flat panel with dynamat will do the trick. However, if your floors are wood, which on most As they are, then you can skip that step. Wood doesn't resonate like metal does. Once the floor is covered, folks that drive Cs will start to notice the road noise from your doors and windows. Dynamating the doors will kill the resonance. They sell door kits for the purpose for about 70.00. It takes about 4 hours with a rubber roller and a hair dryer to do your first door but after your first your next will be substantially easier and faster.

So what do I expect from my winter work? Your ear perceives a 3 decibel drop as about a 50% drop in noise reduction. Realistically I expect about a 3 to 6 db drop in noise levels. 3 db if your insulation was standard automotive grade foam insulation and 6 db if your insulation was only partial like it is in many of the class Cs. If you pull up your carpet / rubber flooring and see a heavy 5/8 to 1/2 inch thick solid pad that weighs 1-2 lbs per square foot then it might not be worth your time to replace it. However, very few cars have that level of insulation (think BMW / Mercedes / Lexus) so I doubt most rigs have it as stock insulation from the factory but some Diesels might. Please note however that the pad and mat won't eliminate the noise, only reduce it.

If you are dealing with an engine cover and don't want to mess with removing the interior covering then maybe adding an alumminized insulation to the inside of the cover might be a good first step. I skipped that step because the factory already did a bang up job insulating the dog house on my rig but if you're driving an A it might be worth a check.

Dynamat.com | The Hoodliner for Automotive and Restoration

Regarding the 5star tuner. When I spoke with Mike he warned me that starting some time in 2012/13 Ford added a software patch to detect tuner alterations even when the computer is returned to stock. When you flash the program the ECM stores a code indicating that a non approved update was installed. If you have a warranty claim against your engine and they find that code stored they could deny the claim. However, Mike also said that he hasn't heard of anyone having any troubles with a Dealer when using a 5 star tuner. Still I decided to wait until my warranty is up some time next year.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:02 PM   #28

The ford f53 has a 5 year 60,000 mile power train warranty from the date of purchase. If you purchased your coach in 2012 it will expire on the date of purchase in 2017. My coach is a 2009 and I installed the 5 star tuner in 2011 and have had no issues. My neighbors have a 2012 and put it in one month after purchase and they have no issues. We are happy with the results.