Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #1

Engine noise Reduction

Has any one tackled the job of reducing sound in the front part of a Georgetown 360. I have padded the doghouse which reduced the sound somewhat. I looked under the hood stuck my head under and looked up there was only foam there....if I pad this will this help..
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #2

I know one person here that spent a lot of time buying expensive sound proofing for the dog house and in the engine and wheel wells.
If I remember correctly the issue was how to install them that they will stay in place in the engine compartment top area.
I don't think you can stop it but the dog house is the only place I can see spending the money. The rest of the areas are hard to get into and personally not worth the effort. This is my thoughts only and not others.

Someone may have more information or the actual installer may still stop by here.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I know one person here that spent a lot of time buying expensive sound proofing for the dog house and in the engine and wheel wells.
If I remember correctly the issue was how to install them that they will stay in place in the engine compartment top area.
I don't think you can stop it but the dog house is the only place I can see spending the money. The rest of the areas are hard to get into and personally not worth the effort. This is my thoughts only and not others.

Someone may have more information or the actual installer may still stop by here.
Its not sound proofing the wheel welds ,,,I believe the noise is coming from under the dash ....if you open the hood and look up after you put your head inside you will see that there is only a foam pad under the portion of the dash that is over the engine compartment,
Old 12-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #4

What I found that reduced a lot of noise for me was 1 1/2" insulation board (foam) did the complete dog house area sides and top. You need to cut lots of peices to make it solid and attach with liquid nails, been on 1 year and counting. You could add up in where you are talking also. HD or Lowes both carry it.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
What I found that reduced a lot of noise for me was 1 1/2" insulation board (foam) did the complete dog house area sides and top. You need to cut lots of peices to make it solid and attach with liquid nails, been on 1 year and counting. You could add up in where you are talking also. HD or Lowes both carry it.
Did you add insulation board in the hood area,,,,open the hood '''put your head inside then look up. I only saw a foam pad
Old 12-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #6

Mine might be a little differant being and 06, no I didn't even look in that area but when I wake her up from her winter nap in the spring I sure will look at that.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

here's the thread.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-21030.html
Old 12-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #8

Hmm. Never considered the noise that much of an issue to us.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

The only time we can REALLY hear the engine, is if it shifts down a couple of gears for a significant hill climb.

Other than that, it's basically wind noise and/or tire noise on the pavement.

I improved the speakers significantly in our cabin using the stock in-dash stereo system, and for the most part..........ambient noise is not an issue.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #10

There is some noise that comes from under the dash which for the most part is a piece of plywood with a foam pad on the bottom. Rather than try putting more insolation under the dash, probably add a dash cover.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #11

My irritation with noise comes from both the passenger and driver side side windows, especially with a cross breeze. For the sliding window if I get aggravated enough I'll put a piece of rolled paper between the window and slide channel. However, the fixed window or slide window seems to emit a ton of noise tooling down the highway.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #12

A better way is to take a piece of velcro the smooth side and glue it to the top side of the screen, it may take several strips for the screen. As for the window adjust the clips or get new ones. I am going to try and put the same in the window track. This was a tip from Iggy and it works
Old 01-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #13
WDK

I took the windows out on both sides and insulated the clips or covered them with an outline of silicone caulk which more or less fills the track and quiets the rattle but still allows them to slide quiet easily.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:50 PM   #14

My 2014 GT351 had a recall on the Hehr side sliding driver and passenger windows- dealer covered work on warranty- worst part was there was a lead time on parts so meant return visit-big difference now driving down the road.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
FL family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:06 AM   #15

FL family,
can you tell us more about this window recall? Maybe start a new thread so it would be easier to find using the search function? I know a lot of others would be interested, and unless they're monitoring this thread, they'd miss out...
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL family View Post
My 2014 GT351 had a recall on the Hehr side sliding driver and passenger windows- dealer covered work on warranty- worst part was there was a lead time on parts so meant return visit-big difference now driving down the road.

Where did you find out about this recall? I checked arfc and don't see this recall. I need to know if my 2014 351 is affected. Please provide more information. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #17
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post
I took the windows out on both sides and insulated the clips or covered them with an outline of silicone caulk which more or less fills the track and quiets the rattle but still allows them to slide quiet easily.

WDK

Sorry I meant the screens.....I have not had any problems with the windows.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #18

I don't know where or who told Fl family that there was a recall on the hehr slide windows on our 2014 351, but I have talked to hehr and to Forest River directly. Both state that there is no recall on the driver and passenger slide windows. That's per Nathon Johnson with Hehr international and Kevin Stratton with FR GT warranty. Both stated no recalls on any windows for GT.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #19

Well alrighty then...I had my 351 in for misc warranty recently (November) and one item was the rattling side windows. My dealer checked and there was a kit available from Hehr to address the rattling issue (so more a retrofit vs "recall"). The dealer said it would take a while to get the kit so I called Hehr directly and was told if I had the part number from FR that Hehr would ship me the kit. I called FR but soon after the dealer called and said the kit was in so I just let them do the work. I attached pic of the window after retrofit kit was installed but no real difference can be seen.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1420662302.012866.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	68225

FL family is offline   Reply With Quote