Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #41

Quote:
We blew our engine to our 2012 Georgetown on October 12, 2014... Nine weeks later we still do not have our coach back
It looks like GABoy's rig was out out of commission for about 6 weeks, so 9 is a long time, even for a big rig...

Earlier this Fall the 5.7 Hemi in my Ram 2500 TV blew at 96K miles - which THANKFULLY was still under warranty. However, the dealer we bought the truck from wasted 2 weeks attempting to get the warranty work pre-approved. They claimed Ram wanted maintenance records from the previous owner, yada, yada, so I had it towed the the largest Ram dealer in our area. They got the work pre-approved in just a couple days but then it took a couple weeks for them to locate an available engine, a few more days to ship, and then another week to do the actual work. From start to finish I was without my truck for about 6 weeks. (The 5.7 Hemi is one of the most popular engines so you would think they would keep more rebuilts in stock...)
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #42

We just got our's back today ,almost 3 months to the day. Warranty covered everything (about a $15K bill). Engine has its own 3 yr warranty after the 60/60k expires. Drove it from the Ford dealer to where we bought the RV to have a few things serviced / repaired and it seemed to drive very well . I said to my wife, " from what I just drove, I think there was something wrong from the beginning. They told me the oil pump failed and the engine was all torn up inside. What I know is it happened vey fast. We only have 12 K miles on it when it blew. As far s I know, if you want a gas engine class. a RV , it is a Ford chassis / engine. I never liked the Triton V10, I like it even less now. Ford RV service was a 10 out of 10. Thanks to them, we got our RV back when we did, otherwise the dealer would have never fixed it. I think the lesson learned is before you buy, find out what dealer likes to work on the Ford chassis motor home . Our's did not and asked us why they brought it to them. They are a big truck service center but seemed to dislike RV's .we had to call the ford RV warranty number to get them to intervene. Ten out of ten to Ford RV warranty service.. 2 out of 10 to the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
tjvpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #43

Tjvpga, glad to hear you got back on the road. Sounds like dealer gave you run around.

We have put little over 1000 miles on ours since we got ours back and all is well. I'm with you on the statement that something might have been wrong from beginning as ours seems to have more power now and it runs out in rpm really well now. DW even noticed that it wasn't down shifting as much as before when going up hills. So we are very pleased at this point! Would have preferred not to have gone through all that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
We have put little over 1000 miles on ours since we got ours back and all is well. I'm with you on the statement that something might have been wrong from beginning as ours seems to have more power now and it runs out in rpm really well now. DW even noticed that it wasn't down shifting as much as before when going up hills. So we are very pleased at this point! Would have preferred not to have gone through all that though.
Glad to hear things went well with your new engine.
Wow! 1,000 miles already.
I'm at 35,000 mile son my 2012 and knock wood nothing unusual.
But the Ford Powertrain warranty is worth gold.
I thought our Ford powertrain warranty was 6 year 75,000 miles. Is this correct or wrong?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #45
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I thought our Ford powertrain warranty was 6 year 75,000 miles. Is this correct or wrong?

I am hoping the power train warranty is as good as gold....I felt lucky that I have two major Ford dealers in my area. I developed what turned out to be a transmission leak at 11,000 miles and took it to one dealer who said the transmission had been over filled and that they would not cover it under warranty. I had not touched it except to check my fluids as per each trip I would any vehicle leaving the dealer or Ford who might have over filled it if that was indeed the case but still this left with me holding the bag and or the cost for repair now and down the road should the transmission have other problems. I took it to the second dealer whom after running a dye test found that a nut had come loose though in all likelihood would have taken care of the problem under warranty no matter what. Lesson learned, don't go to that other dealer.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

Iggy

I was told by Ford RV warranty that it had a 5yr 60000 mile powertrain warranty.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #47
Retired Ford Tech

Engine trouble

As you know, I'm a retired Ford Tech. That being said, dealers are mostly CHEAP. If it does't make them money, they drag their feet. Each dealer has a warranty cost ceiling. With a very expensive job, such as yours, they will do it, but it's not their top priority.
Many an engine job I did under warranty. The tech, such as me, gets warranty time, which considerably less that customer pay. We techs make our money on Flat Rate. If a job is listed for 3 Hours labor and when get it done in 2, we get paid for 3. Thats how we made money. When I was working back East, our hourly pay was around 28.00 per hour. The Dealer hourly charge was around 105.00 back then. Considering all the knowledge we had to know, if thats all we made for a 40 hour week, it's not much of a living.
If dealers would compensate the tech, and make up the difference between warranty and customer pay, your job would have been done faster and without the Lame Bull they probably told you why it wasn't getting done in a timely manner.
I am glad you got your baby back, and all is well! I didn't want to get on my soapbox, but it struck a nerve and memories.
There are dealers who go the extra mile, but it is usually at the cost of the Technician.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
Iggy

I was told by Ford RV warranty that it had a 5yr 60000 mile powertrain warranty.
I just checked yes 5 years/ 60,000 miles.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags