Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2018, 01:56 AM   #1

Engine V-10

The first GT-5 had a bad head with only 300 miles. That’s two for two. Not a good batting average for FR.
azino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:58 AM   #2

Isn't that a Ford Chassis? I would think it's a bad for Ford rather than FR. I'm guessing FR doesn't break down an new V-10 to verify Ford did their job correctly.

What was the issue with the second V-10?
Old 01-06-2018, 06:10 AM   #3

You’re correct, it’s a Ford Chassis. However, FR has a process in-place to complete and checkout the entire unit before shipment. Additionally, the dealerships should be checking out the entire unit before it’s placed online for sale. Somewhere in these processes, the QC process failed.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalich View Post
Isn't that a Ford Chassis? I would think it's a bad for Ford rather than FR. I'm guessing FR doesn't break down an new V-10 to verify Ford did their job correctly.

What was the issue with the second V-10?

The second unit had no heat on driver’s floor boards. The engine worked great.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #5

Dealer check? I would imagine very few would bother. It is unfortunate. I have seen new units at dealers that I would be ashamed to show anybody, much less think they would buy it.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #6

Engine replaced at 18,000 miles. Engine started pinging then died. Towed to Prescott AZ from Grand Canyon. Ford Dealer told me the Engine had to be replaced. Old Engine is removed and awaiting new Engine delivery. Don't know exactly what the Engine failure was.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by azino View Post
You’re correct, it’s a Ford Chassis. However, FR has a process in-place to complete and checkout the entire unit before shipment. Additionally, the dealerships should be checking out the entire unit before it’s placed online for sale. Somewhere in these processes, the QC process failed.
Yeah right! In your dreams. There is NO QC at ALL!
And this is just 1 of the 100s obvious items to show.
The judge is going to have a field day with FR when my case is on the docket.
FR thinks it is a Ford problem even though FR left the chassis unprotected for 1.5 years on their property after raw F53 chassis was delivered to them. It was left unprotected from the elements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bumps.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	167377   Click image for larger version

Name:	ubolts.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	167378  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #8

What is the first picture of. We bought ours as a 2013 on the paperwork, and was ordering a sway bar bracket found out it is a 2012 chassie wonder if I should ask for a rebate.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwehba View Post
What is the first picture of. We bought ours as a 2013 on the paperwork, and was ordering a sway bar bracket found out it is a 2012 chassie wonder if I should ask for a rebate. Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I ordered & had this 2017 RV built to specs vs off a dealer's lot. Piece of SXXX. It was the last one of this model assembled - they call themselves manufacturers, but they are only assemblers. It was put together with OLD laying around leftover parts. I personally fixed over 60 warranty issues plus dozens of upgrades that should be standard. The chassis was lying on FR's lot for over 1.5 years full of leaves and rust before it was picked for my assembly. It was a 2016 F53 chassis - also a year older than it should be.

The first picture is of the front and rear axle bump stops and bolts removed to install the F&R Sumo Springs - IMHO a required upgrade! The second is the axle U-Bolts - Had to be replaced when I installed second rear anti sway roll bar - another required upgrade.

BTW, the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer is another REQUIRED upgrade. Probably the most important of the hundreds of items I did!
Old 04-07-2018, 08:32 AM   #10

The photos of rusty suspension parts are a normal thing in the northern half of the country. All it takes is one trip on the salt covered roads and some moisture, let the unit sit in a warm damp climate and bang you have the nice rusty chassis.

Just drive by any RV manufacturer and you will see frames and chassis for motorhomes parked and waiting to be built. This also happens for almost all other truck type body builders.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQfrog View Post
The photos of rusty suspension parts are a normal thing in the northern half of the country. All it takes is one trip on the salt covered roads and some moisture, let the unit sit in a warm damp climate and bang you have the nice rusty chassis.

Just drive by any RV manufacturer and you will see frames and chassis for motorhomes parked and waiting to be built. This also happens for almost all other truck type body builders.
You must work for FR or just one of the many that accept their defective assembly practices! Don't need this type of response justifying all of the defects found on this forum. This acceptance mentality is why they continue to do what they do. Little resistance for improvement. Thy are stuck in the dark ages of bully mentality! I'll delete subscrption now.

As I said, this was a dedicated order/assembly. There was little time delay, it did not sit waiting to be sold. The parts to be used in the assembly sat for years unprotected from the elements and had this prior to assembly. This was delivered to FLA - FYI, no road salt here.

BTW, that is more than a few weeks or months of rust!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #12

No don't work FR. Worked in the truck and fire truck manufacturing for many years
Chassis are ordered for stock based on dealer input for projected sales of each model. You don't go to the local dealership and pick up a chassis. If that specific chassis weight, wheelbase, etc is slow selling, over ordered etc they sit till needed. Ford may limit time of production for certain options weights or wheel bases. Ether order it then or don't get any. So you order then and park them till needed. Normally these chassis have very minor changes or differences, from year to year.

Trust me when I say I don't like some of the poor quality issues with these expense units we have purchased. But sometimes we blame the wrong person or group. FR did not put the poor paint on the Ford components. Poor quality AC units, awnings, power steps, etc are not manufactured by FR but purchased. Unfortunately all the components, parts and pieces are being made by the same companies. The few big companies have purchased the smaller companies that might have made the best product available, and merged them under their umbrella. And many times made them cheaper quality. Leaving no other options but that one supplier.

As far as FL not having rust issue's. My family members Chevy pick up has more rust on the frame than my Ford motorhome frame even after 4 years of winter trips in the February to March time frame, from NY to FL and back. And his truck has been no farther north than GA.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #13
Road Warrior

True....ALL RV manufacturers do this, more often than not your chassis is a model year or even 2 than your rig and as to your comment about FR quality issues, ALL RV manufacturers have these as well, even rigs costing 2 or 3 times what a FR rig does, its just the nature of the beast. You either accept and deal with it or get out of RV'ing
mikedawson is offline   Reply With Quote