Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #1

entrance step cover

I wanted to know if anyone has made a cover for your entrance steps. When we are on the road I would like to cover the steps so that no one falls in. When I was shopping for my motorhome I saw one with a cover. I just can't remember how it was made , any Ideas.
texasgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I believe someone asked about this before and the biggest concern was the weight of the fill-in-piece in order to support the weight of an adult. I believe someone uses a gate but never saw any pictures. Hopefully someone has built something and will share their info.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Not sure if you should need anything thicker than 1" plywood........maybe even less. I haven't done it, but thought about it.

I envision lining the perimeter of the cavity of the stairwell with sheet metal screws at 1" below the surrounding floor height, or fasten the same number of "L" brackets. You would then rest the plywood board, cut to the inside dimensions, on the screws or brackets. To reinforce the actual board, attach a support arm (possibly a 2X2) to the underside of the board to wedge between the board and a step.

Does that seem like it would work to anyone else? I assume there is a similar arrangement for the entranceway of a lot of diesel pushers where the entrance steps are right in front of the co-pilot's seat.

I would keep the screws or "L" brackets short so as to not snag your ankles on them when using the entrance steps normally.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #4

I used 1/2 plywood and 2 by 4 covered with carpet
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Not sure if you should need anything thicker than 1" plywood........maybe even less. I haven't done it, but thought about it.

I envision lining the perimeter of the cavity of the stairwell with sheet metal screws at 1" below the surrounding floor height, or fasten the same number of "L" brackets. You would then rest the plywood board, cut to the inside dimensions, on the screws or brackets. To reinforce the actual board, attach a support arm (possibly a 2X2) to the underside of the board to wedge between the board and a step.

Does that seem like it would work to anyone else? I assume there is a similar arrangement for the entranceway of a lot of diesel pushers where the entrance steps are right in front of the co-pilot's seat.

I would keep the screws or "L" brackets short so as to not snag your ankles on them when using the entrance steps normally.
I would seriously not use "L" brackets, no matter how short. There's always a chance someone could come in contact with them and slice open a leg.
If I was going to make something I'd use 3/4" plywood cut about 3" wider than the opening so it sits on top of the flooring. I'd take a 2x4 and cut 2 or 3 pieces to lay flat under it and screw the plywood into them. They would be cut to fit down in the opening to keep the plywood from shifting. Cover the plywood with carpet and attached a handle to each side to enable picking it up. Just a suggestion!!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I would seriously not use "L" brackets, no matter how short. There's always a chance someone could come in contact with them and slice open a leg.
If I was going to make something I'd use 3/4" plywood cut about 3" wider than the opening so it sits on top of the flooring. I'd take a 2x4 and cut 2 or 3 pieces to lay flat under it and screw the plywood into them. They would be cut to fit down in the opening to keep the plywood from shifting. Cover the plywood with carpet and attached a handle to each side to enable picking it up. Just a suggestion!!!
That's exactly how I would do it too.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote