Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #1

Entry door handle mod?

Anyone figured out a mod to get a real grip on the entry door of a 2014 Georgetown 270? Have already torn one gas strut off from wind gust. My old fingertips just can't hold it. I would put a plain ol' cabinet handle on it but am afraid of what I might drill into, or NOT drill into in the door. Don't think the skinny little sheet of aluminum would hold it much. Open to ideas.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #2

Same issue. We keep 3 pumps on the Rv for this reason.

2016 Berkshire 40BH XL

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sirozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:40 PM   #3

Interesting, but boosting the strut manufacturers profits doesn't do either of us any good. Plus the fact I can hardly pull the door strongly enough to get it to latch. Got to be a better way.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #4

I got them free from the dealer since they changed out 3 already. We have 3 small kids who can't and i wouldn't want them to hold the door when opening. I asked about a stronger pump, but dealer said it would void the warranty and may cause more serious damage. I had given up on this, but maybe someone will have a better idea.

Last trip to AZ my mother-in-law opened the door during some high winds near Sedona. Both her and the door went flying out with her landing on the ground. After a quick 😂 I helped her back in and left the pump off for the rest of the trip.

2016 Georgetown 350 XL

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sirozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy B View Post
Anyone figured out a mod to get a real grip on the entry door of a 2014 Georgetown 270? Have already torn one gas strut off from wind gust. My old fingertips just can't hold it. I would put a plain ol' cabinet handle on it but am afraid of what I might drill into, or NOT drill into in the door. Don't think the skinny little sheet of aluminum would hold it much. Open to ideas.

They make a handle that attaches to your screen door. They cost twelve dollars. We broke our strut on the door from a gust of wind. We have two doors we installed these on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	106078  
grizzfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #6

I may just have to order one to make it easier for us old farts: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-42183-Sc...door+handle+rv

or http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...FU6BfgodX6cF0Q
Old 04-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
Happily Retired Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1461616490.165204.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	106086

My 378xl has a different handle. I am surprised that FR isn't using a standard assembly across the board.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #8

Quote:
The door is very thin aluminum on both sides and a foam core. You could drill all the way thru the door and install small bolts long enough to exit the outside and use large flat washers and acorn nuts (for aesthetics) and touch up with the appropriate color. This is how the "EZ OPEN HAND RAIL" is done for its installation, only from the outside.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan4 View Post
They make a handle that attaches to your screen door. They cost twelve dollars. We broke our strut on the door from a gust of wind. We have two doors we installed these on.
This picture is on our Spartan 1032. It attaches to the screen door.
grizzfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #10

What about a spring over the strut? Not sure what the assembly looks like though.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan4 View Post
I am having difficulty believing the plastic catch between the door and screen door would hold any better than my poor old fingers. Also realized today when the strut was replaced they used the same step bracket that was on the coach. It was bent in the incident so the strut does not line up correctly, ergo the door doesn't either and you have to slam the heck out of it to get it to latch and then the bottom is still not tight. Obviously back to the dealer with this part. Geeze!
Old 04-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeystamper View Post
Attachment 106086

My 378xl has a different handle. I am surprised that FR isn't using a standard assembly across the board.
Now that is a usable handle! Wonder can I get one like that put on my coach? No harm is asking, but yes, why wasn't it used across the board.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Now that is a usable handle! Wonder can I get one like that put on my coach? No harm is asking, but yes, why wasn't it used across the board.
You have to buy a new double lock with that type of handle at Camping World.
About $100
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #14
Happily Retired Member

Sandy b

Maybe you can get info from Forest River to find out it the XL assembly will fit on your door.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #15

Thanks, everyone. Seems the answer is indeed a new lock. CampingWorld does not show them in stock but PPL does, so that will be the route I go.

Tags
door, modifications