Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2020, 09:10 PM   #21

entry door opening during traveling

Hello all, We just took delivery of a 2014 Columbus and on the way home the entry door came open. I know I shut it before leaving the dealership. After I got home I opened it and then shut it again before backing it in. Again, it popped open. I noticed that time that it appears to be slightly bowed in the center but also that the door jam is bent in a couple spots like maybe the previous owned tried to break in. So pretty distressed I was thinking the worst. After getting this beauty and having an awesome trip home first time ever towing a 5th wheel (I've always had travel trailers) I am feeling pretty shitty about overlooking this after seeing how excited my wife was in getting it. It is a 325RL and it has a big window in the door. I tried tweaking it but was extremely worried about breaking the window. The door did flex though, I noticed. After reading some of these posts it would appear that I am not alone. In past coaches I always turned the grab handle in toward the door but I have never had to lock the bolt. The other thing I noticed is that I actually have to push on the center of the door to get the bolt to lock. Otherwise, the door shuts fine and does not just pop open. It appeared to be fine until this happened. it didn't slam or get whipped open fortunately but did raise hell with the panel on the screen door a bit. Maybe it's flexing going down the road? What have some done to correct this or do I need to get in the habit of locking the bolt? I already am used to flipping the handle all though I didn't think about it today. Thanks
tuneman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #22

Mine has always been locked when under way since we bought it. Sounds like you have a needed adjustment coming up!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #23

NO QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell11 View Post
After about 2000 miles, the entry door on our Georgetown 369 opens while driving. We now have to lock the deadbolt on every trip. Does this happen to anyone else?
Aside from a full day PDI that I discovered later truly takes 4 full days to be done properly because what no one should have to check must in fact absolutely be checked! This is one of those items. FYI, in the first 3 months of ownership. I had over 50 warranty items. It became apx 70 in 6 months. This is a whole separate thread I gave up on educating the community to.

ALL of the RV industry (TT, 5th wheel, RV,..... ) are assembled (not manufactured) worse that lincoln logs and then delivered. As a first timer, I discovered that there is no QC during assembly. If something is done correctly, you are just lucky! On your specific problem which is directly related to my previous paragraph and sentence, if during assembly, the assembly worker takes time to install the door properly in alignment, everything will be fine, but if he is rushed (assigned 20 units vs the 10 units he can properly do in his shift) that day, something wrong will happen at some point in time that day. In my case and probably yours too, he did not align the door latch to the door locks properly. A simple few minutes or care vs a rushed assembly. I discovered mine as I was crossing an enormously steep very tall suspension bridge (Dames Point Bridge on I295 in Jacksonville FL) and my door opened and the stairs went out. Luckily I was in the middle lane and no one was next to me. It was a few miles before I was over the bridge and able to locate an area mildly safe to stop while still on the interstate. Apx 45 minutes later as dusk arrived, I discovered I had no usable headlights. It took me a while, but I discovered that only the brights were usable. When i eventually arrived at my destination, I discovered all lights were actually able to be "on", but though more disgusting assembly, none were installed correctly, adjusted, aimed, ... Net result, drivers lights pointed to the stars and pax lights pointed to hell.

FYI, I would do the adjustment/door latch alignment yourself (like every other problem you discover) to ensure it gets done properly. Over 3+ years, I have discovered that ALL repair facilities are on the same atrocious level as the assemblers ("manufacturers").

It was extremely unnerving for my first time driving an RV and just the beginning of what I was to discover is an atrociously inferior unprofessional "industry".

BTW, when I entered my RV for the first time, I noticed that the table was not installed and not there to be installed! It left the factory with a big open space and no one noticed???? The RV dealer presented this RV to me for my PDI and they did not notice??? I should have turned around and left never to accept this RV. As a first time purchaser, the naive nature of first time customers is how the industry survives.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:27 AM   #24

Use the bolt to travel.

For a carpenter one of the most difficult jobs is replacing a door.

Getting the fit right is tough.

You will have to be patient and work on it. Latches often have some adjustment.

Likely the door was somewhat tweaked by wind. Happens often.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:48 AM   #25

Door opening on the road

You can adjust the door jam striker plate but yes the body will flex the best thing is to lock the door while traveling for multiple reasons. If someone was in motor home or 5wheel it could open and something or someone can fall out, plus you may not be in a place you can pull off. Be safe lock it on the road.
Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #26

We've always locked the bolt to travel.

People have told us that we don't need to lock the second (bolt) lock because it's only used when they originally transport it. I figure that if it's used for transport, they must know something that I don't.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #27

We always lock the deadbolt.

I also give the door am extra yank after it is closed to make sure it is latched. Sometimes I will hear a click as the latch fully engages with the door frame.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door