Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

Entry step issue

Well this is a new one for me so I thought possibly one of you might have the answer to my problem. A couple days ago I opened the coach door and the power steps extended kinda herky jerky. When I closed the door they stayed I
Extended as if I'd I had thrown the "step" switch inside the door. So this evening I started to chase down the problem. First I crawled under the unit and unplugged the step motor and checked to see I I had juice, affirmative, got juice. I checked to see if any of the fuzes had blown, no, didn't see anything tripped or blown in the main breaker box. Checked to see if the power awning would extend, no it wouldn't. Crawled under the dash and pulled the cover off of the Ford fuze box and noticed that the diode2 had blown. This shouldn't have affected my step or awning from working. My understanding is that fuze is for the BTSI or brake transmission shift interlock.
Ok, by this time I'm quite confused, "sparky" and I have never been on the greatest of terms but this can't be too difficult.
Anyone have any ideas?
It is a 2011 337 DS, Ford V10.
Marvlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:45 PM   #2

The awning power comes off your house batteries and a inline fuse.
The step power I believe comes off the house batteries with a inline fuse.
Is your house batteries good? Have you checked them?
I don't think the diodes have anything to do with your step or awning power issues.
More information is needed.

Has anyone been recently work on any of the batteries or the trailer wiring harness?
The reason I ask is that the diodes have to do with brake lighting I think.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:17 PM   #3

Yeah Iggy, I believe your right. I had just topped off the house batteries with dist. H2O. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary but maybe I should go back over the connections again. I've got it plugged into my house 50 amp. so I'm not running off of the batteries at this time.
I'll check things over again tomorrow when it's daylight.
As always, thanks for your input!
Old 09-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvlab View Post
Yeah Iggy, I believe your right. I had just topped off the house batteries with dist. H2O. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary but maybe I should go back over the connections again. I've got it plugged into my house 50 amp. so I'm not running off of the batteries at this time.
I'll check things over again tomorrow when it's daylight.
As always, thanks for your input!
You7r problems could just be a dirty positive or negative connection if your batteries are good.

I still want to know about what would have blown those diodes?
I do not know your experience is but if you check the diodes with an ohm meter you should get continuity one way and not the other.
Now if they are physically blown apart you may need to have a profession find out why they blew. I have no ideas.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:31 PM   #5

Iggy I tried to post a photo of the fuze panel but didn't have any luck. But the fuze was really fried/melted. Never have seen anything like that b/4.
I'll get it checked out as soon as I can, I'd like to know as well.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #6

You have a 2011 GT. If you still have the LCI steps this is normal. If you have Kwikee steps it is not. Is your door switch closing (Kwikee only) when you close the door?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #7

Thanks Bubbles, I switched out the steps last year to Kwikee steps and everything was working just fine. I'm in the process of getting the batteries checked to see if they are ok. I spoke with my local RV dealer and they gave me a short list of things to check. They said that it possably could be my inverter is going bad. Just one more thing to check out.
I'll post my findings when I get it sorted out.
Until then, thanks!
Old 09-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #8

To check your battery you could hit your emergency start switch (ties chassis battery to coach) with the door closed to see if they retract.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

Yeah, good idea. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #10

Ok, just an update. Replaced both of the house batteries and all is well. I've never had both batteries go bad at the exact time but anything is possible in my RV world!!
Now, deciding where to go in Ky for a long weekend of touring some of Kentuckys finest distilleries!
Old 10-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvlab View Post
Ok, just an update. Replaced both of the house batteries and all is well. I've never had both batteries go bad at the exact time but anything is possible in my RV world!!
Now, deciding where to go in Ky for a long weekend of touring some of Kentuckys finest distilleries!
Glad to hear you solved your problem.
Did you ever figure out why the diodes blew?
Were the batteries hooked up wrong?

Have fun and watch out for the storm coming your way.