Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #1

Entry step problem

The switch that keeps the steps out when parked and door closed has stopped working on my 2014 351. The steps just go in when door closed and out when open. The light is no longer lit on the switch when flipped on either. I'm thinking a fuse has blown. Any one know which one or where it would be just for that switch? A wiring diagram may be helpful if anyone has that too. There the kwikee steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-05-2015, 07:33 AM   #2

I think the fuse for the light in the switch is in the battery control box under the steps but sounds like your switch has failed or the wiring to it has an issue because just a light problem (bulb may have opened) would not cause your steps to fail as stated. JMO.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #3

I agree that just the light should not cause a problem. But I have no power at that switch anymore. Which seems that power must go through circuit when flipped on to tell steps to stay out. I'm thinking light on switch just used same power. So guess I'm on the hunt for a fuse.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
Senior Member - Retired

Entry Step Wiring Diagram

GABoy: Attached is an entry step wiring diagram I have. It is dated 2008 so it may not be exactly the same as what is installed on your MH. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 111606-ESTEP (2).pdf (227.0 KB, 308 views)
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
I agree that just the light should not cause a problem. But I have no power at that switch anymore. Which seems that power must go through circuit when flipped on to tell steps to stay out. I'm thinking light on switch just used same power. So guess I'm on the hunt for a fuse.

I don't have the Kwikee steps. Mine is the Lippert steps and my switch must be off to allow the steps to stay out with the door closed. The switch is only set to on for retracting the steps with door closed. I think Kwikee has changed their switch configuration from earlier days but my Kwikee step switch (2000 model MH) also had to be off to keep steps out with door closed.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
GABoy: Attached is an entry step wiring diagram I have. It is dated 2008 so it may not be exactly the same as what is installed on your MH. Good luck!

Thanks CA Fisherman! I checked the 5 amp fuse in the battery disconnect box per the diagram you posted and it was blown. Replaced and switch works to keep steps deployed with door closed and parked! The light still doesn't work on switch so assume it's blowed.
The people of this forum always make a task easier with the info they provide!
Thanks all!

Old 03-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #7

Is your battery connect switch on? I had my lippert steps replaced with the kwikee and the steps always go back in if the battery disconnect switch is off.

Edit.. I see you found the problem right as I posted

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Is your battery connect switch on? I had my lippert steps replaced with the kwikee and the steps always go back in if the battery disconnect switch is off.

Edit.. I see you found the problem right as I posted

Yes battery disconnect switch is on as for normal usage. You are correct if disengage battery's disconnect the steps retract when you shut door as for storage.