Old 04-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #1

Excessive rust on 330ts frame

My MH is just two years old, but it has excessive rust all over the frame and underbody. I got past the wondering if this is normal part and have now decided to deal with it. After doing some reading, I’m planning to try out the POR-15 product. My MH is 34’ long and I’m wondering if I can get any tips from anyone who’s used the product on what to expect (i.e., how much product I should by, how much wire brushing I’ll need to do, how long it will take)? Also, should I use the spray can or paint-on method?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-518488901.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	12050   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1616052264.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	12051  

lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #2

The underside of my 2008 looks about the same. I just use flat black Rustoleum rust reformer. I get it at home depot, it's cheap and easy to get. I've been spraying the rust under my 1994 truck for years with it.

I've used two and a half cans under my Georgetown so far and I've gotten most of the rust I could see.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
The underside of my 2008 looks about the same. I just use flat black Rustoleum rust reformer. I get it at home depot, it's cheap and easy to get. I've been spraying the rust under my 1994 truck for years with it.

I've used two and a half cans under my Georgetown so far and I've gotten most of the rust I could see.
So when applying the Rustoleum rust reformer, does the rust convert into a hard solid material or does it just cover the rust? I've read several threads with folks who say the POR-15 converts the rust into this tough solid indestructible material.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #4

I don't know. Rustoleum claims that it converts rust but that sounds like alchemy to me. Even if any of these products convert the surface of the rust to something else I doubt they can penetrate any thicker rust.

At any rate I just want to stop the rust. So I'm just coating everything to keep moisture from getting to the steel. For that at least it seems to work very well. I'm not even that careful about cleaning before I paint. I just hose off the area to paint with the spray nozzle on the garden hose, then let it dry and paint. Generally I do it on a very warm day to let the water dry or let it dry overnight before I paint.

Here is the web page for the stuff I've used.
RustOleum.com
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #5

Here's an explanation I found on-line of how rust reformers work.
Rust Converters
Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #6

I have always sprayed my frames from travel trailers to 5th wheels in the Spring. Like everyone else, unless it's seriously flaking it gets RO Rust Reformer with a top coat of matte black RO metal paint. The top coat is optional but does a heck of job at keeping everything from progressively rusting.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #7

The POR15 is an awesome product, and is far superior to hardware store rust paint. It will outlast the cheaper paint 10 to 1. But it does degrade in sunlight, so a quick topcoat as recommended is a good idea.
I prefer to brush it on rusty areas, as that seems to work the paint in better. On very rusty parts, I like to give it a light sandblasting to get rid of all of the loose rust, but a wire brush or a sander with very coarse sandpaper would work too.
There is a less-expensive POR15-like product out there, that is about half the cost, but I cannot remember the name of it. Any auto-body repair supply store would know.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
Here's an explanation I found on-line of how rust reformers work.
Rust Converters
Thanks for digging this up!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
The POR15 is an awesome product, and is far superior to hardware store rust paint. It will outlast the cheaper paint 10 to 1. But it does degrade in sunlight, so a quick topcoat as recommended is a good idea.
I prefer to brush it on rusty areas, as that seems to work the paint in better. On very rusty parts, I like to give it a light sandblasting to get rid of all of the loose rust, but a wire brush or a sander with very coarse sandpaper would work too.
There is a less-expensive POR15-like product out there, that is about half the cost, but I cannot remember the name of it. Any auto-body repair supply store would know.
Was it by chance "VHT SP229 Rust Convertor"? I found this on amazon with pretty good ratings. What kind of paint do you use for a topcoat over the POR15?