Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

Extended Service

I'm debating whether to buy an Extended Service plan on my 2013 Georgetown 335. Good Sam wants $5700 for 7 Years. Had one on a previous RV, but I never got my money out of it. Guess it's like insurance: you buy it and hope you never need it. Thoughts?
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #2

IMO, extended warranties are a waste of money for the exception of a motorhome. You can buy two brand new coaches (same exact model) and one may have a bad roof in a couple of years, but the other one lasts 20 years. Too much human input goes into building one. The price you were quoted seems very high to me. We were quoted less than half of that for the premium policy through XtraRide (Protective Asset Protection) for seven years. We actually ended up paying 1200 at the end since the dealer made a serious boo boo. I did some research on that company and everyone seems to be very happy with them as they pay claims quickly without hassle. I'm an engineer by trade and my brain is wired to be able to reverse engineer things effortlessly and could fix most of anything that could go wrong with our coach. However, since I'm only getting older by the minute, I wouldn't want to have to tackle fixing a slide out or something major like a bad roof. Shop around to see if you can get a better quote.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
I'm debating whether to buy an Extended Service plan on my 2013 Georgetown 335. Good Sam wants $5700 for 7 Years. Had one on a previous RV, but I never got my money out of it. Guess it's like insurance: you buy it and hope you never need it. Thoughts?
Boy that sounds pretty high to me, to make things worst is that if you bought the 2nd year from FR, if they offer it on your MH. Your GS would not kick in until the 3rd year so in essence you are paying for 7 years and only getting 5....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #4

So.... let's set the record straight... TT have the "optional 2nd year" but MH DO NOT.

With that being said, I've been looking long and hard at these policies which I'm going to make a decision this month. I've been looking at Good Sam and Whole Sale Warranties.com (someone on a previous thread suggested them and had a good review). The first question is the duration of the warranty. For me, I'm looking at a 7 year policy. The second question is what's the deductible; in my case one (GS) has a $250 and other (WSW) has $200. So, they are similar there. GS quoted me $5,982.11 for the entire duration (7 years) and WSW was $2,197.00.

So, my next question was... what's the difference. With Good Sam and Camping World now as one, my thought was they aren't going away anytime soon. However, it's hard to justify for double the price! So, I asked WSW to sell themselves to me. She did a nice job and sent me links to the BBB and irv2.com. I went back to her and told me to tell me in brass tacks...I wasn't going to go to all the random links and such. I told her to SELL me on her company concisely. Here was her response:

"
As you requested per our conversation, I will point of some of the biggest differences between Good Sam and the programs that we offer. First of all, when comparing the difference in coverage, there are a few things that are covered under our policies that are not covered in the Good Sam policy, the most important differences being:

1.Radiator
2.Audio/video components, GPS systems, touch screens, display screens, etc.
3.Awning mechanisms
4.Exhaust brakes
5.All wiring and wiring harnesses

Secondly, once your manufacturer’s warranty expires, with Good Sam their policies are sold in 1 year terms. In the world of RV extended warranties, every model year older the RV gets the rates go up. With our policies, (once the manufacturer’s warranty expires) we can provide 4 year terms at a time.
Other than that, our rates have yet to be beat by Good Sam. Although our company may not be as well-known as Good Sam, because we pride ourselves on customer service we always remain as an extra layer of support for all of our customers throughout the entire term of their policy. And because we know how important happy customers are, we make it a priority “go to bat” for our customers if and when the need arises. Furthermore, because we work so closely with our warranty companies, it gives us the clout to stand behind our customers as well. I will also send you an email template shortly after this that contains several links to reviews and references about our company as well as the companies that we are sending you quotes for. If you have absolutely any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you!"

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #5

Good info Chris. Found their website and requested a quote. Also looked on IRV2 forum. Lots of positive comments about them. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Boy that sounds pretty high to me, to make things worst is that if you bought the 2nd year from FR, if they offer it on your MH. Your GS would not kick in until the 3rd year so in essence you are paying for 7 years and only getting 5....

Only one year warranty on my MH. Good point though.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMSNT View Post
So.... let's set the record straight... TT have the "optional 2nd year" but MH DO NOT.

With that being said, I've been looking long and hard at these policies which I'm going to make a decision this month. I've been looking at Good Sam and Whole Sale Warranties.com (someone on a previous thread suggested them and had a good review). The first question is the duration of the warranty. For me, I'm looking at a 7 year policy. The second question is what's the deductible; in my case one (GS) has a $250 and other (WSW) has $200. So, they are similar there. GS quoted me $5,982.11 for the entire duration (7 years) and WSW was $2,197.00.

So, my next question was... what's the difference. With Good Sam and Camping World now as one, my thought was they aren't going away anytime soon. However, it's hard to justify for double the price! So, I asked WSW to sell themselves to me. She did a nice job and sent me links to the BBB and irv2.com. I went back to her and told me to tell me in brass tacks...I wasn't going to go to all the random links and such. I told her to SELL me on her company concisely. Here was her response:

"
As you requested per our conversation, I will point of some of the biggest differences between Good Sam and the programs that we offer. First of all, when comparing the difference in coverage, there are a few things that are covered under our policies that are not covered in the Good Sam policy, the most important differences being:

1.Radiator
2.Audio/video components, GPS systems, touch screens, display screens, etc.
3.Awning mechanisms
4.Exhaust brakes
5.All wiring and wiring harnesses

Secondly, once your manufacturer’s warranty expires, with Good Sam their policies are sold in 1 year terms. In the world of RV extended warranties, every model year older the RV gets the rates go up. With our policies, (once the manufacturer’s warranty expires) we can provide 4 year terms at a time.
Other than that, our rates have yet to be beat by Good Sam. Although our company may not be as well-known as Good Sam, because we pride ourselves on customer service we always remain as an extra layer of support for all of our customers throughout the entire term of their policy. And because we know how important happy customers are, we make it a priority “go to bat” for our customers if and when the need arises. Furthermore, because we work so closely with our warranty companies, it gives us the clout to stand behind our customers as well. I will also send you an email template shortly after this that contains several links to reviews and references about our company as well as the companies that we are sending you quotes for. If you have absolutely any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you!"
I'm not sure if FR covers a MH being I do not own one you can call and find out, what I do know is that FR will not include all TT models under there so called umbrella. I also know that the 3 party warranty will not kick in until the FR one is over and the 3 party starts the day you sign up. Thats how I paid for 7 years and had the 2 year with FR, so really I paid for 7 and only get 5 years. But it is cheaper when the unit is new so it's kinda of a toss up.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #8

I just got off the phone with Good Sam. Some interesting notes as well... their "extended warranty" is insurance and the gentleman I was talking to is a licensed agent to sell it. (Not bashing the other companies but an interesting note) So, when dealing with a dealer or another warranty company, you can dicker price because it's non-regulated versus being "insurance". It is what it is.

Another interesting note on that line of thinking... GS would be able to adjust the deductible based off of usage (i.e. mine is stored for the winter so I can raise the deductible to $1000 which lowers the yearly cost to $425/yr). I just confirmed that WSW does not do that.

In the end, I believe that I'm going to go with Good Sam. Somewhere in another post I thought that someone thought that since they are now with Camping World and all work must be done there: I checked and that is incorrect. Any licensed facility can be leveraged with a GS warranty.

My rationale for going with GS versus WSW. GS isn't going anywhere (not suggesting that WSW is or might be), you can vary your deductible such that it'll basically cost me around $550 per year since we have kids and live in WI (in storage). Dealing with GS directly with a licensed agent vs WSW is a broker. Again, nothing but nice things to say about the gal I was working with at WSW. She's ALWAYS called me back and followed up on things. However, for a premium, I can cut out a middle man and deal with a larger company directly. Again, that's at a cost and I understand that however there's flexibility which comes with that as well.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #9

Here is a pdf file of our coverage so you can compare. We got the Platinum coverage for 84 months with 100 deductible.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XTRA-MH-CB Motor Home Coverage Booklet.pdf (452.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 01-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #10

Sorry alparmmer, so I have my head screwed on straight... who's booklet is this?

Old 01-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Sorry alparmmer, so I have my head screwed on straight... who's booklet is this?
First page has the company name, Protective Asset Protection's XtraRide coverage.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #12

Yep... I got that far however who did you get this through? This is where I'm getting lost in this entire process. It seems like everyone has a hand in the pot. GS is through GS however WSW is brokering Portfolio who is administered by First Extended.

Does my question make sense or am I totally confused?? :-)

Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Here is a pdf file of our coverage so you can compare. We got the Platinum coverage for 84 months with 100 deductible.

How much is this costing you?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Yep... I got that far however who did you get this through? This is where I'm getting lost in this entire process. It seems like everyone has a hand in the pot. GS is through GS however WSW is brokering Portfolio who is administered by First Extended.

Does my question make sense or am I totally confused?? :-)
Sorry about that. We bought it through the dealer at the time of sale. Not sure if you can get it directly through them. Here is the web adds: Protective Asset Protection

The number on the warranty card is: 888-756-5529. We haven't had to file a claim, but from what I've found on the web people are pretty happy.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #15

I got a quote from Wholesale Warranties. $100 Deductible. 6 years @ 15,000 miles/year for $4297. They don't provide Consequential Loss Coverage. Quote I got from GS was $250 deductible for 7 years. No annual mileage restriction.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
How much is this costing you?
We ended up paying 1200, but the original quote was 2600. It includes the tire warranty too. DW is an accountant and found a discrepancy during closing and the finance guy totally lost it when she called him on it. We walked out and the owner came out apologizing and told us he would give us the warranty at cost.