View Poll Results: Number of Extended Service Contracts Purchased
Bought at time of purchase from dealer 16 38.10%
Bought at later date, Good Sam or Other Company 7 16.67%
Didn't buy, but wished you did 4 9.52%
Did not buy, should not need extra expense 15 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Extended Service Contracts (Warranty)

Previously I have posted on this forum about the process of purchasing a 2011 Georgetown 330TS over the last three months as we waited for it to come in on trade at a local dealer. Well last night DW and I made the plunge and signed all of the purchase agreements. We take delivery Aug. 09, after the orange hydraulic lines are changed (info from this forum led me to this discovery!) and a few other items at our request.

My question to Forest River/Georgetown owners, especially motor home, is how many of you purchased the extended service (warranty) contracts from the dealer, either with a new or used purchase. The 2011GT we bought has 4600 miles on it and has been on the road just over a year. Dealer (finance mgr. and sales mgr.) hit us hard on the need for the service contract. 7yrs/75,000 miles for $3800 extra, down from $4995. DW and realize it is a roll of the dice either way. I have until delivery to make a final decision. We really went to the "wall" with this purchase, moving up from looking at 2007-2010 used.

What say you IYO? Thanks, Sherman12

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
I bought extended warranty for our 2008 Georgetown 4 years ago, and used it 3 times for new steps(unbelievable),new stator in generator at 2200 bucks, and last week for the a/c compressor that would have been $1100. One more year to go on warranty...

Ggantilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
We bought ours straight from Forest River after we purchased our TT. I am glad I did, we have ours back in for some warranty work, and it's saved us a bunch....
2004 Chevy Avalanche Z66 W/Transmission Cooler
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
I think you should get the warranty. When you buy a new MH all the appliances come with the manufacture warranty which does
Not apply on a used on. Plus all the hydraulics and slides, repairs can get expensive. Also check to see if the Ford drive train warranty can be transferred. If not there is a mother reason for the extended warranty. just had my A/C compressor replaced due to a leak at 5k and 1yr old under warranty.
concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Even though it is a high upfront cost i think that i had made the right decision little repairs are expensive
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member
We bought the 7 year/ 75,000 miles warranty at the time we purchased our 2007 GT370TS new. It was $3400 and we haven't the need as of yet to use it. It won't hurt my feelings if we don't, but just like any other insurance it's the peace of mind having it. You just never know when it may be needed.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
I wish had known about Forest Rivers 2nd year warranty back when I made my purchase, I would have paid the $150 for my rig. Not sure why Forest River doesn't just have a 2 year warranty. There's been a lot of discussion about dealers not informing the buyers of this warranty and pushing the other extended warranties. I am considering Good Sam's, I can't see anything else that can offer what CG can at a reasonable price. Don't get me wrong, I've not had any major issues and enjoy my TT.

2006 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 5.9L Cummins 4X4
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD Fatboy Lo & 2000 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (Planning)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
I called FR about a second year's warranty and was told that it's not available for my Georgetown. Unfortunately, the 7yr/75k mi service contract I purchased will be long gone before the 7 years are up. It looks like we'll be travelling around 20k miles/year which will cut the contract length in half.

I just used the service contract to get the propane system repaired. The solenoid shutoff at the tank failed and required purchasing a complete new detector kit with solenoid to get it working again.

pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Extended warranty

When we purchased our 2006 Sunseeker in 2010 from Camping World here in Roanoke they pushed the warranty hard. We thought about it, the unit was 4 years old with less than 10K on the odometer. Knowing how Mr Murphy and I get along we decided to spend the dollars. No problems yet, but it is there if we need it.

Side story that affected our decision. July of 1992, while driving up the mountain to go past Mt Rushmore to the KOA near there I looked over and saw a Class A motorhome on the side of the road with a big tow truck hooking up. Looked under the motorhome and saw what was probably transmission fluid pouring out onto the gravel. OUCH. There went some dollars and time, maybe the vacation as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris in Virginia
2006 Sunseeker 3100SS/LTD
2008 Smart Passion Cabriolet TOAD
1986 Honda Helix (Original owner)

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
How about didn't buy didn't know it was available.

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote