Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Uncle AL

Extended Service Plans: Wholesale Warranty vs. Xtra Ride

We have a Georgetown 378 XL and are debating an Extended Warranty. The dealer we had purchased the RV from is offering the Xtra Ride for about 5,200 for 7 years and the offer from Wholesale Warranty is $3,997 and is an inclusion warranty which notes exactly what is included.

Any thoughts on Warranties in general and have you used either of the above or Good Sam as well?

Thanks for your feedback,

Uncle Al
Old 02-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle AL View Post
We have a Georgetown 378 XL and are debating an Extended Warranty. The dealer we had purchased the RV from is offering the Xtra Ride for about 5,200 for 7 years and the offer from Wholesale Warranty is $3,997 and is an inclusion warranty which notes exactly what is included.

Any thoughts on Warranties in general and have you used either of the above or Good Sam as well?

Thanks for your feedback,
Uncle Al
What do you want the warranty for?
The Ford engine, chassis and drive train has its own 3 year 36,000 mile plus warranty. The F-53 is solid and isn't a issue.

or

Do you want a warranty for the microwave oven, refrigerator, heater, water tanks, roof, windows, etc?

What does the dealers warranty cover? Don't let him say bumper to bumper because it doesn't.

How much deductible per incident?
Is it have a yearly max or max amount for the term of the coverage?

NOW this is what I think...
Put the amount you would pay for the warranty in a special bank account.
And use it if you have anything that goes wrong after the 1 year Forest River Warranty expires. You will save a lot if you do this and not throw away your money on a almost worthless piece of paper.

I also would say if your dealer is close to your house make sure you get any issues taken care ASAP after you buy.
Front end alignment if is steer all over. (FR pays but you take it to Ford)
Water leaks from pipes, hydraulic system leaks or if the levelers or slides act funny.

You can always come back here and ask.

Good luck on your decision.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We bought a 7 year Good Sam extended warranty with our coach. Basically it worked out to be $500 per year. We used it once, a month before it expired to get our satellite dome fixed. Total price of repair was $300 plus our $50 deductible. Personally I wouldn't do it again. I'd rather put that money in an emergency needs account. If you don't need to use it then you'll have it for routine needs such as tires, oil changes, etc.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #4

We got the Premium Protective Xtra Ride 7 year bumper to bumper with tire for $1,200 directly from the dealer we purchased the coach. I read good reviews about them.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
warrenty

AL,

Is that $1200.00 a year or total for 7 years? Just wondering ours one year runs out in May 2014. And DF and I have been debating what to do. I like Iggy reply which makes senseand safe a lot of money,
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
AL,

Is that $1200.00 a year or total for 7 years? Just wondering ours one year runs out in May 2014. And DF and I have been debating what to do. I like Iggy reply which makes senseand safe a lot of money,
No, it was paid in full when we purchased the coach. I just looked at the policy and it's 84 months, 100 deductible, and it's the Platinum policy.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #7

BTW, from what we were told that was the dealer's cost. Not sure how true it was, but originally they quoted us double that amount. The finance guy we were talking to lost his cool when DW caught a major discrepancy on the paperwork. We basically walked out and were ready to leave when the owner came out apologizing and told us that the extended warranty will be at cost. I'm glad he came out and made things right because we traded in our TT on the deal and had already transfer all of our stuff to the coach.

I still don't know how some of the quotes people are getting are 5k plus. Maybe our dealer has some sort of connection with Protective and is able to sell the policies cheaper.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
BTW, from what we were told that was the dealer's cost. Not sure how true it was, but originally they quoted us double that amount. The finance guy we were talking to lost his cool when DW caught a major discrepancy on the paperwork. We basically walked out and were ready to leave when the owner came out apologizing and told us that the extended warranty will be at cost. I'm glad he came out and made things right because we traded in our TT on the deal and had already transfer all of our stuff to the coach.

I still don't know how some of the quotes people are getting are 5k plus. Maybe our dealer has some sort of connection with Protective and is able to sell the policies cheaper.
All the warranty is actual a life insurance policy on your rig.
They take the money and hope you forget or die.
And if you have a claim they pay minimal minus your deductible.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #9

Yup, it's a win win for them.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
Warrenty

Al,

When we bought ours last May he offered that Policy for close to $ 6500. for seven year. I thought that was really high. So we passed on that.
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #11

Dutch,

That's insane. I think we got really lucky. I think the dealers make more money selling extended warranties than selling an RV.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #12

I purchased my ESP plan last week through Wholesale for my 2013 Forester 3051S. I compared Good Sams to Wholesale and really liked the coverage Wholesale was offering. They even gave me another year of Coach-Net to sweeten the deal. I am a Sams Life Member and usually buy from Camping World but had reservations with some of the feedback others was giving with their claims. I went with the 7-year plan.
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty