Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #1

Extended Warranty?

Just came back from our trip and it seems like I have a list of repairs after every trip. Some are minor but some are a bigger problem. Nonetheless they are still repairs. It's not a problem now because its will under the 1 year factory warranty. My question to you seasoned veterans is do you recommend an extended warranty. If you do is there a particular warranty company you would go with? Any experience with repairs actually getting done under an extended warranty? Also what is an estimate of the cost of an extended warranty. Thanks for your help.

PS one concern I have is my slides don't seem like they slide out evenly. What I mean is the top of the slide seems to be out about an inch more then the bottom. Is that normal?
Htab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I had over 100 items repaired under warranty before the 1st year was up. The key is to bring everything you notice to the dealer's attention and then make sure they get down to the root cause of the problem and don't just blow it off. Your slides sound like a problem and they should check them out. It could be a much bigger problem than just a slide adjustment. If you are going to do a lot of the repairs yourself once the 1 year warranty is over, then it probably doesn't pay to get an extended warranty as I've found most of them to cost $2,000+. I can replace my own hot water tank or electrical board for a few hundred dollars. I can replace my own fridge for $1,000. I can replace my own furnace. In other words, I'd have to have a lot of stuff go wrong for the warranty to pay off since I do my own work. Remember that many of your components have 2-3 year warranties and are covered anyway. The chassis should already be covered by Ford's 5 year/60000 mile warranty and that's the really expensive stuff - engine/transmission/etc.

If you don't do any of your own work and you're a worrying type of person, it's probably worth the expense.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #3

You can purchase a second year warranty direct from Forest River for a $150.00. That gives you two years warranty at a pretty good price. Some dealers never tell you about this offer. Mine didn't, I called Forest River direct and made the purchase. If interested I can give you the phone number and the person to call..
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #4

@campster I would appreciate it if you can send me the contact info for the additional year
Htab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #5

+1

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #6

Ok guys, I'll just post it here so any other interested people can find it. Call Rhonda (don't know her last name) at 574-534-3167, she is the person responsible for these second year warranties over the phone. I just explained to her that I never received any info on this in my packet and my dealer never mentioned it to me. She used my vin # to look up my purchase, I then gave her my credit card info and boom we were done. You can also send in a check i believe. Things will get started after they receive it. Now I have a Wildcat, not sure if you need to contact someone else for a different brand trailer, but if so I am sure Rhonda can steer you in the right direction. Good Luck.....
Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post
You can purchase a second year warranty direct from Forest River for a $150.00. That gives you two years warranty at a pretty good price. Some dealers never tell you about this offer. Mine didn't, I called Forest River direct and made the purchase. If interested I can give you the phone number and the person to call..
That does not apply to motorhomes. Only travel trailers and 5th wheels. You posted this in the motorhome section.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #8

Uh Oh...I didn't realize it didn't apply to you guys...sorry for the mistake.

Tags
warranty