Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #1

External Propane Connection

We just purchased a 2015 Georgetown XL 378. It was 1 month old yesterday!

We are planning a trip over Memorial Day weekend and want to be able to hook our grill up to the external propane port. The port is a female propane quick connect. The question is, does anyone know if this is a regulated connection or a full pressure connection? It makes a difference on how it hooks to the grill. If it is already regulated and you attached it to the grill’s regulator, it causes all kinds of pressure problems.

Someone told me that these ports are new on the 2015 models, but that might have been a sales pitch!

Here is a link to the hose we think we need!

Camping World

High pressure disconnect on one end and the other is teh same threading as a small propane bottle.
Sandy and Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #2

Not sure if this answers your question, but here is a good video that explains connecting a grill to a RV propane tank

https://youtu.be/wb6H448KsP8
Old 05-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #3

Thanks for the post chris, but that is not what I am looking for. My Georgetown is at the dealers to take care of the list of small items that we found on our firt two trips so I can't post a picture of the connection. I'll do that when I get it home.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #4

S&S,
where it the connection in relation to the regulator that supplies the coach? (Before or after the regulator)
Old 05-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
Retired US Army CW4

This is a regulated connection. The LP flows to the external grill connection AFTER the regulator on the propane tank, just like the furnace and stove. If you attach a grill that also has a regulator installed it will not work.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
S&S,
where it the connection in relation to the regulator that supplies the coach? (Before or after the regulator)
Don't know yet, will check it out thoroughly after the coach comes back home.

At least now I know the first steps for getting this answer, Thanks.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Kat View Post
This is a regulated connection. The LP flows to the external grill connection AFTER the regulator on the propane tank, just like the furnace and stove. If you attach a grill that also has a regulator installed it will not work.
Thanks but that makes me even more confused. Most small propane grills have a regulator that connects to one of those small propane bottles and allows you to dial from high to low flame. If this connection is after the RV regulator and it wont work with a second regulator in line, how do I control the flame height at the grill?
Old 05-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Shirley View Post
Thanks but that makes me even more confused. Most small propane grills have a regulator that connects to one of those small propane bottles and allows you to dial from high to low flame. If this connection is after the RV regulator and it wont work with a second regulator in line, how do I control the flame height at the grill?
You'll need a "low pressure" grill.

The connection "quick coupler" is a low pressure connection.

Designed and in place for this grill normally.
http://www.rvqgrill.com/

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I went to a fireplace store and they had everything to make that work.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If you have a grill with a regulator on it, if possible you'll have to remove it and get the appropriate fittings @ bob mentioned.

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #11

I modded my weber q, removed the regulator and installed a 10' hose with quick connect, i also quick connected the regulator so i could still use the small bottles if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150122_185451.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	76309   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150122_173238-1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	76310  
08 dodgeram current TV
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
You'll need a "low pressure" grill.

The connection "quick coupler" is a low pressure connection.

Designed and in place for this grill normally.
RVQ II Grill Portable RV Grill $229 with FREE SHIPPING except HI, AK & Canada

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
If that is what Forest River expects me to do then they should be ashamed at themselves. Drilling holes in the side of a 37’ motor home to attach the cheapest looking grill on the market is shameful. I’m still trying to get an answer from Forest River, but their support line sucks.

Why would they install a totally useless propane port on the side of their top of the line Georgetown?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
If that is what Forest River expects me to do then they should be ashamed at themselves. Drilling holes in the side of a 37’ motor home to attach the cheapest looking grill on the market is shameful. I’m still trying to get an answer from Forest River, but their support line sucks.

Why would they install a totally useless propane port on the side of their top of the line Georgetown?
Because everything on your mh is low pressure.

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-08-2015, 10:20 PM   #14

Turbs, I know that everything is low pressure, but why cut a hole in the side of a motor home to give you a low pressure port that is totally useless for just about every decent grill that you can buy today. If it really can’t used for anything productive, why put it there?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
I modded my weber q, removed the regulator and installed a 10' hose with quick connect, i also quick connected the regulator so i could still use the small bottles if needed.
Thanks Cableman, I think that is exactly what I have to do. Late now, but my plans for tomorrow are now to bring the Coleman Road Trip grill into the garage and look at what it will take to do that conversion.

Here is a video showing almost the same Coleman Grill being converted to us low pressure propane.

Three problems with the video are that Coleman has stopped making the regulator assembly shown in the video, exactly the one I have, as stated in the video, the threads are proprietary to Coleman, and I want to preserve the ability to use the grill at home using a standard tank of propane.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks Cableman, I think that is exactly what I have to do. Late now, but my plans for tomorrow are now to bring the Coleman Road Trip grill into the garage and look at what it will take to do that conversion.

Here is a video showing almost the same Coleman Grill being converted to us low pressure propane.

Three problems with the video are that Coleman has stopped making the regulator assembly shown in the video, exactly the one I have, as stated in the video, the threads are proprietary to Coleman, and I want to preserve the ability to use the grill at home using a standard tank of propane.

Maybe pickup a weber regulator if you cant mod the coleman one like i did on mine, id have to think it would work the same.

This would prolly work too
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00064...5RL&ref=plSrch
08 dodgeram current TV
Old 05-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #17

As I understand it, and the video also says so, the Coleman threads are proprietary, which means you can't find another product to hook into the grill. Like the video demonstrated, you have to remove that gold colored connector that actually attaches to the inside of the grill.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #18

What i meant is mod a weber regulator with quick connects to fit the modded piece that video shows, this way you can use small tanks if needed. Or that coleman stove one i listed should fit and you would just remove the other one from the stove when you wanna use the small tanks!
08 dodgeram current TV
Old 05-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Turbs, I know that everything is low pressure, but why cut a hole in the side of a motor home to give you a low pressure port that is totally useless for just about every decent grill that you can buy today. If it really can’t used for anything productive, why put it there?
I guess it's a matter of opinion.
I've used a low pressure port and an rvq grill for ten years.

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #20

I followed the Coleman conversion video displayed above. I added a ball valve right before the fitting that goes into the stove. Make sure you get low pressure fittings. The store clerk accidently gave me a high pressure fitting. I about had a stroke trying to get it to fit into the low pressure quick connect.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane