Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Extra vent cap on roof

Our rig is presently 1600 miles away awaiting our return for the rest of winter, so I can't do my own measurement.

I have a 2010 Georgetown 330TS and it has an extra vent cap on the roof located just above the passenger seat. (looks exactly like the black tank vent located above the washroom) I believe it is there (as a factory install) just to store some raw ended coax between there and the main television, in case of a future satellite dish roof mount.

I'm playing around with a modification idea I have, to mount a particular antennae in this location and would need to run the antennae lead from the exterior to the interior at this point.

Does anyone know what the thickness of the roof would be in this area?

Thanks

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:04 AM   #2

Can't answer as to roof thickness but I did notice that vent cap near the front of the MH while I was up there. Wondered what it was for.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #3

Same here. Was wondering if its similar to an attic vent.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #4

It's a dummy vent location for your sat prewire.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #5

Does it have a power awning. If so it could be the wind sensor. On my 2009 350ts the wind sensor looks like a vent cap on the passenger side near the awning.
miked11272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #6

Which one is it? I was dead set on the pre-wire for the sat version. Which BTW, does it have the wires already in place?

We have a power awning, but was unaware of any wind sensor. Makes sense though.

Glad we found this artifact and waiting for more input.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #7

The wind sensor control is located in one of the compartments near the awning. It will be secured to the top of the compartment. And it also has a remote. Here are some pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140115_183839.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	44991

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140115_183819.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	44990
Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #8

Oh, you are making me jealous. I wish we had one of those. We didn't get that option.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #9

They might put the cap in the roof for the option. It is ok but you can't tip the awning or tie it down and it can't be adjusted. Good in one way not so good in other ways.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #10

It's a dummy vent location for your sat prewire.
DC power white and red as well as a coax to your switch box.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

Iggy.......... I sorta remember looking inside the cap a very long time ago, and although I do recall seeing some coax, there may very well have been the two other wires you mentioned.......makes sense.

I'll be at our rig in a few weeks and will double check, but I'm planning on attaching my Sirius antennae on top of the vent cover and running the wire inside to the dash location of the radio for the antennae to have optimum reception.

Either way..............I'm going in!!!!!!!!

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 01-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Iggy.......... I sorta remember looking inside the cap a very long time ago, and although I do recall seeing some coax, there may very well have been the two other wires you mentioned.......makes sense.

I'll be at our rig in a few weeks and will double check, but I'm planning on attaching my Sirius antennae on top of the vent cover and running the wire inside to the dash location of the radio for the antennae to have optimum reception.

Either way..............I'm going in!!!!!!!!
Where did you find the antenna with a long enough wire to reach your radio?
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #13

I have sirus sat radio that I ordered for the motorhome and the system cost 19. bucks already have subscription on our car. The antenna they supply is magnetic however I had a dealer install the wire he drilled a hole and ran the wire down the side of the windshield behind the molding and then under the dash and plugs into the sat radio. Then use an epoxy to secure the antenna and dicor to fill the small hole. Works great.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Jergeod..........The antennae from the Sirius vehicle kit (see link) comes with enough wire to reach from the roof vent to the location where my actual Sirius radio is positioned on my dash.

As part of the kit.......it is normally long enough to go from the rear roof of a car, down and around the rear window trim, into the interior of the car and run all the way to the front dash area for a more "hidden" installation.

For my RV........I already mounted a lightweight metal bracket to the OEM vent cover for the magnetic antennae (a very strong magnet I might add) to attach to. Then I'll run the wire inside the vent stack, through the roof, and hide it on the inside of the RV down the inside trim of the front windshield, under the dash to the location of the actual radio.

Ken and Terry
Old 01-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Jergeod..........The antennae from the Sirius vehicle kit (see link) comes with enough wire to reach from the roof vent to the location where my actual Sirius radio is positioned on my dash.

As part of the kit.......it is normally long enough to go from the rear roof of a car, down and around the rear window trim, into the interior of the car and run all the way to the front dash area for a more "hidden" installation.

For my RV........I already mounted a lightweight metal bracket to the OEM vent cover for the magnetic antennae (a very strong magnet I might add) to attach to. Then I'll run the wire inside the vent stack, through the roof, and hide it on the inside of the RV down the inside trim of the front windshield, under the dash to the location of the actual radio.
What link?
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #16
Kanadian Kamper

Jergeod...........

Sorry about forgetting the link. BTW.........up here in Canada, for some reason, all the Radio Shack Stores changed their name to The Source a few years back. They seem to carry most/all the same things but I'm attaching a link to Radio Shack for your benefit seeing as you live in Central New York state.

SIRIUS-XM SADV2 SIRIUS Universal Plug and Play Vehicle : Car A/V accessories | RadioShack.com

Ken and Terry
Old 04-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #17

Miked11272. You can tie the awning down if you turn the windsensor off. Just use you remote control and hold the bottom 2buttons for 5 seconds. To turn it back on hold the top 2 buttons for 5seconds. You will know it is off if you open the awning and have to continue to hold the open button until it is fully open. On 2008 370 Georgetown my wind sensor is at the end of the arm right next to the motor. Happy camping to all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #18
Kanadian Kamper

Just a closing follow-up..........

We just returned from Florida after trying to wait out Mother Nature..........she's still trying.

As far as the installation I described, I installed the Sirius antennae on my home made metal bracket mounted on top of the vent cap located overhead of the passenger seat. There was enough antennae lead to run from drilling through the roof at this location (and properly sealed) then running the lead over to the overhead storage shelf above the passenger location, down inside the plastic corner windshield post to the dash, then along the under side of the passenger dash over to the center radio area and connected to the Sirius docking station for the radio.

On our trip back from Florida to Canada, not ONE loss of signal for the Satellite radio. Full signal strength the entire way.

Ken and Terry
Old 06-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann55 View Post
Miked11272. You can tie the awning down if you turn the windsensor off. Just use you remote control and hold the bottom 2buttons for 5 seconds. To turn it back on hold the top 2 buttons for 5seconds. You will know it is off if you open the awning and have to continue to hold the open button until it is fully open. On 2008 370 Georgetown my wind sensor is at the end of the arm right next to the motor. Happy camping to all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Thanks, I did try this and was able to tie the awning down worked great. Thanks again
Old 06-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked11272 View Post
Thanks, I did try this and was able to tie the awning down worked great. Thanks again
Would be very cautious about tying down the awning with supporting the tube for fear of bending an arm.

Tags
roo, roof, vent