Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #1

Fabricated Motorcycle Rack

As promised, here are the pics of the motorcycle rack I designed and fabricated. It has dual 3" receivers with removable rails and mc track should I not taking the mc with me. This particular mc is actually a Honda PCX150 - a 300# scooter that is supposed to do 70mph, but actually does only 64. The rack is capable of supporting 4-5 times the load, but I like excess capacity unlike the RV industry. It is bolted directly to the F53 chassis. No need or desire to tow anything. Test run around town and on the interstate showed NO motion on camera at all. All connections & straps were tight.Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack Back Side View.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	170061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack Rear View.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	170062  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #2

Keep a close eye on it. I have seen the results of several scooters coming my loose while on a rear hitch mount. It’s not pretty what it does to the scoot
Old 04-30-2018, 11:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
Keep a close eye on it. I have seen the results of several scooters coming my loose while on a rear hitch mount. It’s not pretty what it does to the scoot
Thanks for the concern, BUT (big but) as said, I designed and fabricated it. It is not available commercially, This will not fail. The Rv will disintegrate before this will. The only concern is getting rear ended. Nothing one can do for that.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Thanks for the concern, BUT (big but) as said, I designed and fabricated it. It is not available commercially, This will not fail. The Rv will disintegrate before this will. The only concern is getting rear ended. Nothing one can do for that.
No not the rack failing but the straps working loose or failing. With the rear racks things bounce more then when in a trailer causing me re issues with the straps
Old 04-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
No not the rack failing but the straps working loose or failing. With the rear racks things bounce more then when in a trailer causing me re issues with the straps
Not in pic, but will be doubling straps and upgrading to larger size although they are plenty capable. Also will have front and rear shocks in compression.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #6

Very nice. The two point receiver is a great idea. I carry a 850# Harley
on a mighty lift on one point and a class 4 hitch, have carried it about 20k miles no problem. I attached straps from the corners to the roof for stability, but you will not have a problem with two points. I would be interested in seeing how you fabricated the receivers to the frame.
With two hitch points you could fabricate a receiver and tow a car behind the lift, I cannot do that with a single point due to the stress during turning. Traveling with a bike is great, you won't even know it is there when underway yet you have transportation to enjoy the country roads when you get to your destination.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #7

Posting a follow up photo of my Mighty Lift, it has a hydraulic lift to raise the bike from the ground, and supplemental roof mounts to eliminate bounce and sway.
Works very well but must have a class 4 hitch, factory hitch will not due for a bike over 350# as it only has a 500#capacity
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rvbike.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	170140  
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
Posting a follow up photo of my Mighty Lift
I actually saw your pic on another thread not too long ago.

I can't tell, but it appears the bottom is lower than the coach rear. I made it a point to make mine taller to not hit the road in and out of hills and crowns.

Any problems with the police and not having plate back there - visibility? In my pic, I have not moved the plate yet, but it attaches to the driver side rear light with its' own illumination.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
As promised, here are the pics of the motorcycle rack I designed and fabricated. It has dual 3" receivers with removable rails and mc track should I not taking the mc with me. This particular mc is actually a Honda PCX150 - a 300# scooter that is supposed to do 70mph, but actually does only 64. The rack is capable of supporting 4-5 times the load, but I like excess capacity unlike the RV industry. It is bolted directly to the F53 chassis. No need or desire to tow anything. Test run around town and on the interstate showed NO motion on camera at all. All connections & straps were tight.Enjoy.

Just noticed your spare tire mount. Been looking for one, can you share where you got it —— Thanks
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeFeo View Post
Just noticed your spare tire mount. Been looking for one, can you share where you got it —— Thanks
This one is NOT available commercially. I guess you missed a significant point - I manufactured (I am an OEM in a different industry) the MC rack JUST LIKE the Spare Tire Mount I also Fabricated. When I posted that thread, just like this one, no one in this community is willing to pay the $ actually required for materials and time necessary to fabricate one for them. I have what I call standards that made America Great, but unfortunately, today most have no problem purchasing at the Walmart Chinese standards. Some day, decades from now, someone may inherit or purchase my RV, mods included.

The posts were not a pat on my back, but to provide ideas/solutions to others that may want to do the same - Themselves. Although with some having a cynical view, they will believe the former.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #11

Nope, I didn’t miss it. However I thought you were only referencing the mc fabrication. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #12

What model is your Georgetown?
John.Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Debbie View Post

Not sure who the question was for? Mine is a 2016 369XL.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Debbie View Post
2017 270S - It is 29.75 feet nose to tail without my fabs.

Tags
cat, motorcycle