Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #1

Fantastic Fan Installation - wiring question

I am installing two Fantastic Fans in my Georgetown 280 to replace the factory vents. After removing the interior flange, I discovered some twelve volt wires I'm assuming are there for the purpose of a fan. There is one brown wire hanging by itself, then there is a white wire taped to another brown wire, but the brown wire is looped with no end on it.

Which wires do I use? Do I cut the looped brown wire and connect those two ends together with the black wire from the fan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mauidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #2

"Trust but verify."

Use a volt meter to determine which wire is positive and which is negative, and then follow the directions that came with the fan. Some wires that are "supposed" to be one thing may turn out to be another. "Trust but verify."
Old 07-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #3

Thanks Boyd! For those viewing this with a similar question, here is what I found out. The looped brown wire is the "hot" wire and the white wire attached to it is the ground. I'm assuming the brown wire by itself is a lead to the other vent, but will let you know when I get ready to install that one. You'll need to tap into the looped brown wire (I used an inline connector) to get power to the fan. Other than the dubious task of scraping off the 100 lbs. of caulking around the old fan (just kidding), the installation was a breeze. (Pun intended).
mauidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #4

Fan one done

Good going Dude, you're wire colors are normal, up to the fan anyway. I think you'll find the Fantastic Fan to be an excellent choice, I have. The one exception is figuring out how all the combinations of switches and dials interact for operation. And, the hood seal on my fan is soooo good that it sticks when not used on a daily basis. Tried silicone to ease the seal, not worth a hoot. When the sticking occurs I turn the nob to manual, crank with force and pop it open; Return to automatic....Make sure you do the forcing in manual or you'll strip the automatic gears....Don't ask me how I know that.

Happy de-caulking

Tags
fan