Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Panama City, FLorida

Faulty Ground Wire on Headlight Circuit

I recently experienced a loss of headlights after dark, not a good thing, in my 2012 Georgetown 327DS. I had just pulled into the RV park that evening when all of a sudden the headlights went off. I checked the fuse box that the Ford owner's manual showed could be blown that would cause a loss of lights. Fuse was good. Fortunately I had someone following me in a car who would be joining me at the camping grounds and used them to lead me on into my camp site. I noticed that all of the rear signal lights were working and only half of the side markers were on, mostly to the rear. I called the RV dealership where I purchased the motor home and they immediately said take it to Ford if the headlights failed, most likely would be covered under the Ford chassis warranty. So as I was driving back home after the weekend camping experience I noticed that I had several other strange things happending with the directional turn cameras, the high beam indicator light was on birght blue even though the headlight on/off switch was off. The night before I was going to take the coach into my Ford dealer, I went out to take a look at all the wierd operataions I was experiencing. 1. No headlghts at all. 2. Light switch off, the high beam indicator light was on. 3. In parking light mode, the rear side maker lights were ok at rear of coach, but up near the front they went very dim. 4. Buzzing noise somewhere under the dash depending upon if the parking break was applied or not and the lght swich off. Anyway, Ford tech trouble shot the issue for 2 hours to discover a loose ground wire on the coach side that Forest River installed but did not tighten it down very well. With only 2500 miles after a couple of trips it has backed the nut off the screw enough to cause the complete loss of the headlights and cause the erattic operation of the turn signal cameras and the other issues I described. Here is the rub, when Ford called Forest River about it, Forest River told them they didn't have any vendor relationship with Ford that would allow them to pay the warranty repairs $201 direct to the Ford dealer. But they did say if the customer would pay the invoice and send it to Forest River they would reimburse me. So I faxed the invoice in on 14 June and still waiting on my refund check. Lesson learned here is that next time I experience a problem that is questionable as to who is responsible for the warranty, Ford or Forest River, I will take it to the RV dealership and let them start the troubleshooting and if it turns out to be on the Ford side then they can take to Ford and get the work done. I find it interesting that Forest River uses Ford chassis but they don't have a working relationship on such hard to determine issues that the customer has to be stuck in the middle . and pay the bill even with both coach and chassis under full warranty. If Forest River can write a check to me, seems they could write a check out to the Ford dealer that did the repair of their faulty work at the factory. Next time the RV dealer can pay Ford and then seek a refund from Forest River. Oh, by the way, I would recommend all Forest River owers check that ground wire inside the engine compartment to the right side on the metal post rising vertically off the frame. Its a white wire screwed to the post and apparently there is a nut on the back of the screw that backed off and the connection became loose. At 5 miles hour in an RV part, not much danger. If your doing 60 MPH on the Interstate or narrow hwy it could get ugly very quick.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #2

Excellent description of your troubles and repairs. Very detailed.

Hope all is well now with your rig. BTW.....pictures of where this ground wire is that you're talking about would really help for others trying to locate it.

You are so right about who pays who especially when both units are in their warranty period. Given what we the customer have paid for these rigs, let the big guys fight it out directly........and leave us out of the equation.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDave View Post
... Oh, by the way, I would recommend all Forest River owers check that ground wire inside the engine compartment to the right side on the metal post rising vertically off the frame. Its a white wire screwed to the post and apparently there is a nut on the back of the screw that backed off and the connection became loose. At 5 miles hour in an RV part, not much danger. If your doing 60 MPH on the Interstate or narrow hwy it could get ugly very quick.
Is this the one ? Thank you for your post !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fil blanc.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	15870  
Old 06-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Panama City, FLorida

Yes, thats the wire

After reading the post about the whole coach wiring one guy was having and he said the factory said they did not keep records of how each coach was wired from front to back, I cannot be sure they would connect this light circuit ground wire at the same place everytime. I took a picture this even on the suggestion of another forum members post. Mine does appear to be on the vertical metal post where the horns are located also. Oh yea, my check came today from Forest River. John Armstrong followed though like he said he would it be here in 2 to 3 weeks.

Name:	Ground wire 2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	15914
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grnd wire that was loose.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	15915