Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #1

Filling fresh water tank

Question on filling fresh water tank on 2011 341. So I use the flow regulator and screw it directly to the intake nozzle of the coach, Seems easy enough. My question is, is there some type of over flow for when the tank is full? What I've been doing since I wasnt sure and didnt want to possibly burst a line, is go back and forth from the hose to the interior monitoring station, checking the tanks capacity. Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

There's a vent tube that will spurt water when it gets close. Not sure where yours may be but in my case it's in the propane compartment to the left of the tank. You may want to check out the postings below from the Georgetown section about water syphoning out during travel. I never fill my tank unless we are dry camping. I usually fill it to 1/3 and that's about it. Remember 1 gallon of water equals a little over 8 lbs.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...vent-3725.html

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #3

We lost water thru the overflow tube. I filled it up at a gas station and drove
about 6 miles to our dry camp and we had lost about 1/3 of a tank.
Anyone know how to prevent it. That time I filled it till it overflowed to get the
most in.
The next time, I watched it fill and stopped before overflow, and had no problem
tomandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Anacortesians

On our 02 325, the overflow comes out the back, just ahead of the back bumper. When filling, I usually open the cupboard in the bedroom where the tank is and keep an eye on the level.

We have very good quality water at home, so we usually leave with the potable tank about 3/4 full. If we're going on more than a 6-day trip, we fill it.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #5

My setup may be different than yours but, when I fill the fresh water tank, I always open the water pump compartment (curbside), where the tank is located, and watch the actual water level in the tank while filling it. On my tank, the overflow tube is a clear tube that comes out the top of the tank and goes through the bottom of the water pump compartment along with the low-point drains.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom341 View Post
Question on filling fresh water tank on 2011 341. So I use the flow regulator and screw it directly to the intake nozzle of the coach, Seems easy enough. My question is, is there some type of over flow for when the tank is full? What I've been doing since I wasnt sure and didnt want to possibly burst a line, is go back and forth from the hose to the interior monitoring station, checking the tanks capacity. Thanks for any advice.

dont forget if your hw heater is empty after you have filled the fresh tank
and get to cg and turn on your pump you will loose 6 gallons of water filling your hw heater .
so fill your hw heater while your filling your tank .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandles View Post
We lost water thru the overflow tube. I filled it up at a gas station and drove
about 6 miles to our dry camp and we had lost about 1/3 of a tank.
Anyone know how to prevent it. That time I filled it till it overflowed to get the
most in.
The next time, I watched it fill and stopped before overflow, and had no problem
You have to create a way to stop the water from syphoning the tank down during travel. The water sloshes back and forth then out the overflow tube and the vacuum it creates pulls the water out of the tank. I installed a valve that I close during travel and open once we arrive at our destination. Others have installed vacuum breakers. Whichever way you decide to use will solve the problem as long as you open and close the valve as required.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote