Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #1

Finally on our way!

After purchasing our GT 328 in January and giving my daughter away at her wedding last Saturday we have finally begun our, hopefully 3 year odyssey, across the country.

We checked in yesterday at James County park in Charleston SC. So far a delightful place with plenty to see and do for those of you on the east coast.

We plan on wintering in Florida and the Texas coast and exploring the west (Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, etc) next summer. The summer after we will hopefully make it to Alaska and then finally head down the east coast back to Georgia.

Thanks to all of the contributors on this board. We have certainly gleaned a lot of useful information and answers to many of the same questions/problems experienced by all motorhome owners. Please keep up the good work as we will be checking and posting to the board regularly.

Also, any tips on where to stay and things to see is always appreciated as well.

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #2

May you exciting journey be filled with wonderful memories. Safe travels!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #3

Keep us posted on your journey. Like you we just purchased a GT 328tsf. Our is getting married in 2017 and hopefully a few short years to retirement. Hence the reason we bought the GT is to travel when we retire. Best of luck in your travels.

John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (Toad)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:20 PM   #4

ENJOY!

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

Checkout Montana and Idaho too

If you get the chance checkout western Montana and Idaho. Both beautiful places, the Coeur d'Alene area is very nice. If you get to northwestern Montana the Flathead valley is also beautiful. I would recommend a drive around Flathead lake and a trip into Glacier National Park, although depending on what you are driving the Going to the sun road can get a little scary.
Always tons to do from river rafting to hiking & fishing. I would also recommend a trip to the top of Big mountain ski resort, you get fantastic views of the valley to the south, views of mountains to the north and Glacier Park to the North east.
Whitefish Montana was my home for 10 years and hopefully in another 1 - 2 years will be again.
Wherever you decide to go I hope you have a great time!
Old 10-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #6

Slow down

My suggestion is to not try to see the entire country in one big bite. Slow down, minimize your driving and maximize your exploring. Time is not an issue for us, so this summer it took us almost six months to travel the five southeastern states - only about 2000 miles. Loved every slow step. No more than 150 miles per day, and for evey travel day we slept at least two or three nights.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
My suggestion is to not try to see the entire country in one big bite. Slow down, minimize your driving and maximize your exploring. Time is not an issue for us, so this summer it took us almost six months to travel the five southeastern states - only about 2000 miles. Loved every slow step. No more than 150 miles per day, and for evey travel day we slept at least two or three nights.
X2
Great Advise!
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #8

Enjoy your travels. Wish we were ready to do the same. Just remember that you can't take a motor home or trailer across the Sun Highway in Glacier. But you have a ways to go before you even need to worry about that. Be safe.
Timmy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #9

Sounds like a grand adventure! Please keep posting where you stay and your ratings. We will be beginning a long adventure soon and are bookmarking rv parks with good reviews. Price will be a big consideration for us so we know some compromise will have to be made.

Looking forward to your picture too!
Old 10-31-2015, 02:51 PM   #10

Following your grand adventure. Our first trip after retirement in 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote