Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #21

Click on the UPDATE RV header and it will take you to the link. Once the video plays and is over click on the Show More below the video screen.

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #22

Good to know, thanks for the clip. I wonder if a little bit of antiseize compound would help removing the anode. I wish I had the aluminum tank instead of steel. Why would they still make them out of steel instead out of aluminum. What are the benefits?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #23

I have always had long life from the atwood heaters with an aluminum tank. I really don't know why Suburban uses a porcelain lined steel tank. I only use a magnesium rod and wrap the threads with a lot of Teflon Tape. I have never had an issue with removing the fitting with tape. Anti-seize should work but I get concerned with the chemicals used in the anti-sieze leaching into the fresh water flow.

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
Old 11-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercept View Post
I have always had long life from the atwood heaters with an aluminum tank. I really don't know why Suburban uses a porcelain lined steel tank. I only use a magnesium rod and wrap the threads with a lot of Teflon Tape. I have never had an issue with removing the fitting with tape. Anti-seize should work but I get concerned with the chemicals used in the anti-sieze leaching into the fresh water flow.
The video shows why you should NOT use the magnesium anode in a Suburban. The magnesium anode is for an aluminum tank.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Your city water comes from Lake Tahoe is that correct, Not any better anywhere. I use to live there and I bet yours would last 6 years..... WE aren't all that lucky.
i believe most of our water comes from a couple of lakes in Napa County.
i think only the Sierra foothills and maybe the San Joaquin Valley get Tahoe water.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #26

Hi Old Coot, Please watch the video again. The point is they tested both aluminum and magnesium rods and found that the magnesium rods worked because they degraded. The degradation of the rod indicates it is neutralizing the ions before they attack the tank. The aluminum rod did not degrade much and therefore did not protect the tank much.

Only steel tanks need anodes, aluminum tanks (like Atwoods) do not use an anode.

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350

Tags
anode, heater, led, water, water heater