Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

Finally pulled anode from water heater

Was surprised to see it was totally gone in just two years of light use. Lots of white scale particles.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

That is why in needs inspection every year.
The longevity all depends on the water quality.
Water with high levels of iron or sulphates will accelerate deterioration.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
That's why it's necessary to pull it every year and inspect it. For us snowbirds in areas where you need to winterize, it's no big deal because the anode has to be pulled so the tank can be drained. In warmer areas I suspect that the anode is going to wear out faster because it's in contact with water year around whereas in the colder climates there are several months that the tank is drained and the anode is not subject to wear.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #4

Make sure you flush the tank out. Even when we winterize it each year with only 6 months of use you get a hugh amount of white scale from the tank. CW has a small diameter short hose to stick into the drain hole to flush it out. It works well.

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #5

Ours was pretty nasty and we just got our coach a few months back.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Ours was pretty nasty and we just got our coach a few months back.
How nasty is nasty? The anode should look nasty, but it's supposed to and means it's working. Until it wears down to about the diameter of a pencil, you should be ok. As noted earlier, that's why it's important when you winterize or inspect the anode that you flush the tank to get rid of all the particles.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Site Team

we have really good water out here, so i didn't have to replace mine for 6 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
we have really good water out here, so i didn't have to replace mine for 6 years.

I don't have one to replace.

One reason I run a water filter.....
Old 11-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post

I don't have one to replace.

One reason I run a water filter.....
Then you don't have a Suburban with an anode.
The filter will not stop an anode from disintegrating.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Then you don't have a Suburban with an anode.
The filter will not stop an anode from disintegrating.
Ya I know, but the filter kleeeens "stuff" out and that keeps my little alloy tank Kleeeeeen...
Old 11-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #11

I had the same problem. The anode on my WH is nearly gone after 2 seasons. What I learned is that it's very like due to "soft water". I usually fill my fresh water tank from home and it's softened water. The increase in sodium in the water gives the anode a life less than half of what it would be with "hard" water.

So where is the balance? You don't want water with high levels of calcium and magnesium clogging up the water system. Since the replacement anode is only about $15, I'm happy to just change it out every couple of years.
Also I have two filters in my water system and it's done nothing to save the anode from the sodium.
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #12

I picked up two anodes for my 10 gallon suburban water heater.
Suburban Water Heater Anode Rod Magnesium 2 PK 232767 | eBay

Price is $28 and no tax and free shipping

Don't forget you need a 1 1/16" socket to remove them.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #13

We had a Sandpiper for 20 years....knew nothing about an anode in Suburban water heaters. The previous owner of our current unit had taken the anode out of this water heater before we bought it. Mostly gone, I (effortlessly) installed a new one. I'll be checking it's condition regularly now.
J Autry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
B47

Just a thought about anode rods - I realize that we are talking about anode rods installed in RV units here, but has anyone ever given any thought about the anode rod installed in their home water heater or inspecting/replacing it?

The anode rod installed in your home water heater serves the same purpose as the one installed in your RV water heater and therefore corrodes (sacrifices) in the same manner.

I would wager that some homeowners are not aware that their water heater contains an anode rod.

I learned really fast that home water heaters contain anode rods after coming home and finding the bottom of my old water heater laying on the floor and water gushing out.

I now have a tankless water heater so I don't have to replace an anode rod any longer.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Just a thought about anode rods - I realize that we are talking about anode rods installed in RV units here, but has anyone ever given any thought about the anode rod installed in their home water heater or inspecting/replacing it?

The anode rod installed in your home water heater serves the same purpose as the one installed in your RV water heater and therefore corrodes (sacrifices) in the same manner.

I would wager that some homeowners are not aware that their water heater contains an anode rod.

I learned really fast that home water heaters contain anode rods after coming home and finding the bottom of my old water heater laying on the floor and water gushing out.

I now have a tankless water heater so I don't have to replace an anode rod any longer.
I change mine at home every 2 years
Old 11-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #16

I looked at it late this summer while waiting for the paper work on the Lite to go thru.
Should be good for awhile.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Your city water comes from Lake Tahoe is that correct, Not any better anywhere. I use to live there and I bet yours would last 6 years..... WE aren't all that lucky.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

I believe most home water heaters are glass lined and don't need the anodes. At least ours have all been glass lined.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I believe most home water heaters are glass lined and don't need the anodes. At least ours have all been glass lined.
I guess I had the cheap ones that weren't glass lined. I Googled the subject before I posted and what I found didn't specify glass or steel.

Anyway when we brought this house, I decided I didn't want a 40 gallon water bomb in my attic that could let go at anytime, so we got a tankless water heater that works great without an anode rood.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #20

Please take the time to watch the video and read the text.
This should answer a lot of your questions and correct some misconceptions.

Copy and past the link in your browser and hit enter.

Happy Camping

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode, heater, led, water, water heater