Old 12-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #1

Finally took delivery on the 2013 Georgetown 360 XL

I will write a review later on and post pictures. The person who delivered it spent almost 3 hours going over everything and testing everything. But since we are new to motor homes, some things stuck, some we will go watch the videos we took.
Let me preface my questions to this: We did receive all the manuals, about 10 pounds worth! I am in the process of putting them in binders and reading. We just took delivery and are planning a trip to the parents for Christmas, about 30 minutes away. Cant read all this stuff by then

Lots of questions now. We installed a 30 amp breaker and ran the front heat strip last nite, the lights and at one point had 3 tvs running. What exactly can be run on 30 amps? My brother says cant run that microwave or much more that you have on now.

The antenna, if there is a crank, I an not find it! I can barely see what they are calling an antenna on the top! We did manage to get a few stations, ETV, commercial stations mostly, one actual decent regular channel. Is there a crank or does this round looking thing I can barely see up there just sit there?

I would like to just get a simple antenna that will get several decent channels. I can not see putting out over 1000, 799 for the satellite and 399 to install, PLUS the receiver. I dont even watch TV that much, but the couch potato does. Any suggestions in this department?

The oven...... arg, I have never been a gas person! The PDI person showed us how to light the top, no problem, turn it on and strike. WOrked well. The oven, he was not sure if it worked the same or if I had to manually light it. That thought is not appealing to me!

The refrigerator is a household model. Looks like one on the outside and inside, but there seems to be discussion on what the heck it runs on. We know it worked on electric as we are plugged in at the moment. We will not plug in at my parents house. So if the generator is running, then that will power the refrigerator, I think! If both the generator and the power are off, does it run on batteries? Seems like that would be a huge drain if so.

Thanks to all who respond! I will have a better idea of my review after staying in it and moving it from place to place this week. One thing i can say right now is the new ceramic floor is slippery!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #2

Congrats on the new rig. We have a 2011 360.
The 30 amp is almost maxed out...turning on the mwave will probably trip the breaker.
The tv antenna is the new type for digital tv..turn on the booster located in one of the front cabinets likely on the right side.
The oven..we took ours out and made the space into storage.
Not sure what you mean by a household fridge...ours is a double door unit and it works well on propane and electric. Controls are top right when you open the right hand door.
Hope this helps..watch those triple electric steps..getting too close a curb when they deploy will be an issue. Good Luck on your maiden voyage.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #3

Merry Christmas on your new Georgetown.
You have the exterior color patern I wanted but it wasn't available.
How's the weather in Mrytle Beach. May be heading that way in Jan.

Let the questions begin.

1. Yes you have a gas and electric hot water heater. To turn the electric on the hot water heater you must turn on the switch located outside inthe water heater compartment. Lower left behind the pipes.

2. If you want your big refrigerator to cool quickly use gas and then switch over to electric at the campsite.

3. Yes you can run your refrigerator while driving on gas as long as your house batteries are fully charged.

4. If you feel it drives hard on higway and sways a lot, steering difficult get Forest River to approve front end alignment at a FORD dealer. Makes a world of difference. Est $225 for a good lazer alignment.

5. If you want you can re-adjust the front and rear sway bars underneath to make the rig more stable from swaying on turns and when big rigs pass you on highway.

6. If you get the front end aligned go ahead and get the oil changed as well as lube the chassis. Worth the $100 or so.

7. When watching local TV make sure you turn on the antenna amp button which makes the led go green on it. You must have this on to watch local channels. You should get good local reception where you are.

8. Things you need to buy.....
A few laundry baskets to put in side compartments for stuff.
Good air compressor that goes at least up to 125 PSI.
This is what I have. AIR COMPRESSOR LINK

9. document all the serial numbers of all the appliances and make sure you register them online at their individual website.

10. MAKE SURE you check all the tire pressures as per the yellow sticker on wall or inside one of the cabinet doors.

I'm sure others will add to this list.

Good luck and enjoy.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I see that you must have the new home fridge option that is very new.
If it is then it runs off the coach batteries through an inverter. I saw one of that kind at a fall RV show. The salesman did not seem to know much about it because it was so new.
It will run down the house batteries when parked and not plugged in but the salesman told me they had extra batteries.
The oven in ours we have to light with lighter and the instructions are in the manual for the stove. We had never used gas before we got an RV and now wish we had it in our home. If you use the oven a lot you can leave the pilot on and you will not have to light it until you shut of the gas. Do not be afraid to ask questions we all learn from each other. Good Luck and have a Merry Christmas.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #5

I have a friend with an Itasca DP with the 3 door refer and his has a slew of batts and an inverter to run the fridge. He said he had an option that would start the generator if the refer tried to start and the batts were low. WOW, way too complex for me. I would forget to disable that puppy and the gen would start in storage and gas somebody.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinasgirl View Post
I will write a review later on and post pictures. The person who delivered it spent almost 3 hours going over everything and testing everything. But since we are new to motor homes, some things stuck, some we will go watch the videos we took.
Let me preface my questions to this: We did receive all the manuals, about 10 pounds worth! I am in the process of putting them in binders and reading. We just took delivery and are planning a trip to the parents for Christmas, about 30 minutes away. Cant read all this stuff by then

Lots of questions now. We installed a 30 amp breaker and ran the front heat strip last nite, the lights and at one point had 3 tvs running. What exactly can be run on 30 amps? My brother says cant run that microwave or much more that you have on now.

The antenna, if there is a crank, I an not find it! I can barely see what they are calling an antenna on the top! We did manage to get a few stations, ETV, commercial stations mostly, one actual decent regular channel. Is there a crank or does this round looking thing I can barely see up there just sit there?

I would like to just get a simple antenna that will get several decent channels. I can not see putting out over 1000, 799 for the satellite and 399 to install, PLUS the receiver. I dont even watch TV that much, but the couch potato does. Any suggestions in this department?

The oven...... arg, I have never been a gas person! The PDI person showed us how to light the top, no problem, turn it on and strike. WOrked well. The oven, he was not sure if it worked the same or if I had to manually light it. That thought is not appealing to me!

The refrigerator is a household model. Looks like one on the outside and inside, but there seems to be discussion on what the heck it runs on. We know it worked on electric as we are plugged in at the moment. We will not plug in at my parents house. So if the generator is running, then that will power the refrigerator, I think! If both the generator and the power are off, does it run on batteries? Seems like that would be a huge drain if so.

Thanks to all who respond! I will have a better idea of my review after staying in it and moving it from place to place this week. One thing i can say right now is the new ceramic floor is slippery!
As to the refrigerator, its much larger than even the 4 door models that came with Georgetowns. It must be out of the range of gas/elec cooling systems you now its all electric with a compressor. Larger means more power and the house hold units consume 2X -3X more than the absorbtion types. Good planing is all you need, if you have a 15 amp circuit for the coach at your planned destinaltion, thats all you need for the frig and a few lights. As for 30 amp ability there are threads on here that cover it quite well, search in the heading box for 30 amp service. The way to play the reefer game under way is to learn and put in service the inverter for the fridge, the engine alternator will replace the power in the batteries the inverter consumes. Just don't leave excessive periods without engine or shore power connection or the batteries will be consumed. House hold reefers have been in campers for years, just mostly park models and high end DP units.
The antenna amp is a switchplate looks like outlet for 12VDC. Its go a small black button, push to turn on amp and you'll get a green LED to show its on.

Sounds like the antenna itself is a modern omnidirection unit. I'm sure when set up correctly you'll get lots of HD local programming. You shouldn't need another.

Reading your books will answer a lot of your questions, have a great holiday and enjoy your new coach!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #7

Carolinasgirl......

Looking at your notes, poses more questions than even you posted.

You mention you installed a 30 amp breaker. Does that mean you have a 30 amp outlet wired at your house for the motorhome? Did the MH come with a 30 or 50 amp cord? Usually rigs with 2 A/C units will have 50 amp cords.

It's possible the new motorhomes do not have a crank for the TV antenna. It's possible the new ones are omnidirectional and fized height. Do you have a picture of what's on the roof that MAY be your antenna? Close to your main televison, you may see the coax connection and a small black button for the amplifier that turns a small green light on when using the antenna. Turn it off when using campground cable. You also must program the TV for either "air" or "cable" from it's menu to get the channels available.

Not sure what you mean by the phrase "The refrigerator is a household model." It may look alot like your home unit, but it could be electric and propane powered (with a little help from the batteries). Inside the door (either fridge or freezer) you may see some buttons and lights for operation in either mode. If it's truly a residential model (electric only) that's news to me on a Georgetown.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinasgirl View Post

Most rv parks other than state parks have cable hook ups for tv,other than that you will be buying a satellite for roof....
Old 12-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #9

Best advice: Take photos of all that you have questions about. The antenna will get good reception even down if the booster is cut on, small push button in front cabinet over dash, light comes on green. The oven is easy just stand on your head and use all three hands, lol. You have to push in and hold the temp/ignite knob and at same time use a fireplace lighter to light the burner, once lit turn to desired temp and you will be good. Really want to see the pics of the fridge, PICS< PICS and PICS.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #10

Some newer model georgetowns have residential refrig as an option,this gentleman has a small digital tv disk on roof it is stationery,its fine if your around a metropolitan,area,otherwise about all it gets is PB. booster or no booster...