Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Finish is coming loose from Cabinets

Just noticed this morning that on a couple cabinet doors that the finish is blistering up and seperating from the wood doors. It appears as well that the finish has a tint to it. I have the cherry wood cabinets. So far it's in the kitchen and the rear bathroom. I'm hoping to contact FR and see if they could sell me some to touch it up. The wood under the finish looks lighter than the finished areas. If I can't get it from FR I'll just have to see if I can match it and do my practice work in the rear bath before attempting the kitchen. Anyone else having any issue like this?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #2

Not yet but then our rig lives a sheltered life (in the garage) so it doesn't get the UV exposure.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #3

I used to run an upholstery business and we did a lot of wood touch up.
If Forrest River does not supply touch up stain, then I would recommend the "wood stain markers" that you can purchase at Home Depot. They are yellow and look like a permanent marker with a broad tip. They come in several colors including cherry. They work very well, although sometimes a couple of layers are needed. We always finished of with a bit of paste wax, once dry.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #4

my non fr rig has the cherry cabinets and i have a slight BLONDISH area near the door handle where we have worn off the finish
its cherry wood but appears to be stained a darker cherry finish

i thought it was just me,

i have a can of cherry stain in the garage and after a few trials on other species, we are not even close...

i imagine the doors are all built and stained by the same contractor......
and they just put enough on to last a short time.....
if you get the color code number i would sure be interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Spice Racks1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	2902  
Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
my non fr rig has the cherry cabinets and i have a slight BLONDISH area near the door handle where we have worn off the finish
its cherry wood but appears to be stained a darker cherry finish

i thought it was just me,

i have a can of cherry stain in the garage and after a few trials on other species, we are not even close...

i imagine the doors are all built and stained by the same contractor......
and they just put enough on to last a short time.....
if you get the color code number i would sure be interested.
You're 100% correct. Patrick Industries makes all of the doors for FR. I contacted FR parts department and they referred me to PI. Contacted PI and they told me that their stains & finishes are a custom blend made in house. They do not ship stains or finishes because they come under the Hazardous Materials Blanket. I contacted my local FR dealer to see if they had anything and they basically said to take the door to Home Depot or Lowes and try to match it. So I'll see what I can do to match it. If all else fails and I hate to look at the mis-match then I'll replace the door. They can ship that but I'll have to go through FR to order it. Here's their site if anyone wants to check it out.

Patrick Industries, Inc. HPL High Pressure Laminates

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0044.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2921
Here's what my door looks like. The finish came off in 2 places. One very visible at the top and the other just below it is still in the blister state.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 08-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I removed the door and took it with me to HD and placed it up against the samples. Once I found what I believe to be the closest match, I asked the HD employee could he open it for me to do a little test run. He said sure and the color was very close to the cherry used by Patrick Industries. It's Min-Wax Vermont Maple in the water based stains, it's in the small cans. I sanded the area where the finish lifted and applied the stain. I left it on for about 30-35 seconds and gently wiped it off. I did this 3 times one day, and repeated the process the next day. It gradually gets to being close to the color of the rest of the door. I also purchased a spray can of finish semi-gloss. After allowing the stain to dry for a day I taped off the door so only the one piece of wood that contained both bad spots was the only thing visible. I wiped the other factory finished area with alcohol to remove any wax residue. I very lightly sanded the finish with 600 grit sandpaper to remove the sheen. Wiped it all down again and left it dry for about an hour. Then the big finish, sprayed it lightly, second coat has to be within 2 hours or you have to wait 72 hours. It turned out really well. Is it 100% no, but about 98% and I'm pleased with the results. Best part is I don't need to buy a replacement door and I have enough stain and finish in the event I need to repair any more doors etc.
Total cost was around $13 at HD.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR