Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seal Beach, Ca.
Posts: 171
Fireplace woes

We bought the Georgetown with visions of sitting on the couch, watching TV and staying warm with the fireplace. From day 1 it seems the fireplace has had issues. With it getting colder, I decided to try the fireplace one last time to see if I could get it to work. It did ..... for about 5 minutes. Then while watching TV and working on the computer, I suddenly watched the TV and computer shutdown. It blew a breaker.

What good is the fireplace is I have to treat it with kid gloves. Should I really have to keep everything else shut down if I want to use the fireplace? Is there any good solution? Has anyone else on here fixed this problem?

Thanks in advance.
__________________

__________________
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,333
I'm guessing your complaints are with the OEM fireplace (usually a Dimplex) found in the Georgetown 378.

I have a 2010 330TS, and our model did NOT have a fireplace. I installed one myself and we love it. It takes the chill off when the temps dip, does the job when the furnace is NOT needed, and gives a nice ambience. However, the space I had to install dictated a much smaller unit than the one you probably have, along with the fact that it is only 1250 watts maximum, compared to yours, which may be 1500 watts. Our unit is also plugged into the same outlet as our 32 inch TV and we have no problems ever.

Have you tried JUST having the fireplace on to see if your breaker still trips. ALSO, it takes a little playing around, but, do you know for SURE what other electrical outlets may be on the same breaker.........could even be another outlet in another room somewhere.

Just a thought.
__________________

__________________

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wherever we are parked!
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I'm guessing your complaints are with the OEM fireplace (usually a Dimplex) found in the Georgetown 378.

I have a 2010 330TS, and our model did NOT have a fireplace. I installed one myself and we love it. It takes the chill off when the temps dip, does the job when the furnace is NOT needed, and gives a nice ambience. However, the space I had to install dictated a much smaller unit than the one you probably have, along with the fact that it is only 1250 watts maximum, compared to yours, which may be 1500 watts. Our unit is also plugged into the same outlet as our 32 inch TV and we have no problems ever.

Have you tried JUST having the fireplace on to see if your breaker still trips. ALSO, it takes a little playing around, but, do you know for SURE what other electrical outlets may be on the same breaker.........could even be another outlet in another room somewhere.

Just a thought.
Agree....Check to see what else is on that circuit. We have a 2011 378 and run the fireplace all the time with the tv on and never had a problem. Could be a bad breaker.
__________________
Lostdog
2011 Georgetown 378TS in FireMist
2013 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown50 View Post
We bought the Georgetown with visions of sitting on the couch, watching TV and staying warm with the fireplace. From day 1 it seems the fireplace has had issues. With it getting colder, I decided to try the fireplace one last time to see if I could get it to work. It did ..... for about 5 minutes. Then while watching TV and working on the computer, I suddenly watched the TV and computer shutdown. It blew a breaker.

What good is the fireplace is I have to treat it with kid gloves. Should I really have to keep everything else shut down if I want to use the fireplace? Is there any good solution? Has anyone else on here fixed this problem?

Thanks in advance.
What year and model is your rig?
I have a 378TS and I don't get tripped breakers.
I would take it back to the dealer if it is still under warranty.
It just may be the element in the fireplace is having some issues and raising the amerage beyond the C/B limits which usually is 150% . So the 15 amp breaker will trip at 22.5 amps which means some thing is making it exceed the normal amperage.
I suspect the heating element in the heater is the problem
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seal Beach, Ca.
Posts: 171
My year and model is a 2007 378.
__________________
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown50 View Post
My year and model is a 2007 378.
Just a thought, but I also have a 378 with a similar fireplace. I've got a small lamp, the TV, the fireplace and a laptop computer all connected on the same circuit, 3 outlets. I keep the fireplace lights low, they are 75 watt each in top and40 in bottom, thats a bunch of wattage with the heater on. Probably 15 amps with the table lamp and comp. Anyway dim them and cut back the load. The next place I'd look is cut out the shore power, then swap two 15 amp breakers in the panel. Sounds as if yours is tripping 1-3 amps early.
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,360
georgetown50

Sounds like you have to find out a few facts.
1. What is the voltage you are plugged into? If it is low like 100 -110 volts can make the circuit breaker trip because low voltage make amperage go up.

2. If you can you need to check how many amps are on that circuit that trips. This way you can find out what is overloading the circuit.
I would first start by reducing the bulb size in the fireplace to a smaller amount. That is the easiest way to reduce the amperage on the circuit.

3. Do you have any idea what else is on the circuit? TV, Fireplace and ?
If the circuit is the same as the one with your coffee pot that may take it over the top.

So what you need to do is a little more work if this problem continues. You may need some help from an electrician if you are not familiar with electricity.
Good luck
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seal Beach, Ca.
Posts: 171
I'l have to try to lamp trick. I'm not sure how many amps are on it. I noticed I also have the printer on that circuit. I'll test again after unplugging the printer.
__________________
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: oregon
Posts: 204
I replaced mine 6 months after i got it home.i took it out and put on bench in shop and found a problem with control board hitting fire place logs and shutting it down.forest river sent me a new one and i checked it and controlled board was away from log set works good now.don't let these guys play games with you. Pete
__________________
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rockland, Ontario
Posts: 57
Try switching your water heater to propane instead of electric when you use the fireplace. Seems to have resolved my issue. You wouldn't think they would put both on the same circuit, but the way they build these things, you never know...
__________________

__________________
2007 Georgetown 378
2011 Cadillac SRX toad
Only downside to travelling is missing the grandkids!

PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.