Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Firestone Ride Rite Air Bag - Caution!!!

I just thought I'd share my terrible experience with Firestone Ride Rite.

To start things off, I woke up this morning at 5am with the excitment and anticipation only a middle aged kid would have about installing a new set of front and rear Ride Rite Air Bags on my 2013 GT 350TS (22K GVWR Chassis). How cool I was going to be cruising down the highway with the 4 corner adjustable wireless air command system to independently adjust each air bag on the fly? This was going to be a level of comfort only the rich and famous can experience.

So I started with the pre-assembly of the rear airbags. They went to together easily enough and my kids were even was good. Today was going to be a good day....HA HA!! Following the less than detailed instructions, I approached the MH to quickly learn that Firestone's instruction are not accurate. They show two holes existing and two holes needed to be drilled. That should be easy enough. But wait, the two existing holes are not there. Where did they go? So I called Firestone and their response was, "I don't know what to tell you. That happens sometimes." So I asked how I'm expected to find the right spot to locate the holes to be drilled? Answer, "Not sure. Maybe you should find an installer." I thanked him for his wonderful customer service and hung up.

Ok, I give up on the rear and figure I might have to have that installed to ensure it's right (Estimate $250-$300). I moved to the front axle. After another easy pre-assembly, I again approached the MH with cautious optimism. I knew this assembly would require drilling holes in the chassis, but I was prepared. But I soon found that a bolt on the chassis frame interferes with the install. I was not able, nor did I want to remove this critical bolt. So back to the phone. "Hello Firestone......." After being on hold for a lengthy period of time, they told me I should go to an installer to have this done. "They try to look at the Chassis, but don't see all the models." (Estimate another $250-$300).

Well I'm now in a position where I have to probably pay another $500-$600 to have this installed. Not what I was expecting, but I be the most comfortably riding GT on the Michigan's pot-holed freeways. I would be worth it. But now I was going to save some money on the Wireless Air Command System. I bought the "no-drill" kit for easy installation. I started with the pre-assembly. Not so easy. I began with installing the compressor on the no-drill plate. Part of that installation was to install the air filter on the compressor. And to my surprise, it was the wrong filter. It did't screw into the compressor. So I moved on to quickly learn that the no-drill kit was not compatible with the 4 corner wireless air command system. After another lengthy phone call to Firestone, I was told that it doesn't fit despite all of the firestone literature stating that it does. They said, they apparently don't have one that works for the 4 corner unit (part #2500). I was also told to return the system (at my expense for shipping) to the vendor where it was purchased since they included the wrong air filter. They would not even send a new filter or work towards a fix of their errors.

The customer service/technical support from Firestone was horrible. Even the manager (Paul) I spoke with didn't care to help and support the products they sell. I was completely shocked.

I called 3 installers in the area to see what it would cost to have the entire system installed. I was told between $725 and $950. I would not have been upset if this was known at the beginning. But I specifically called Firestone prior to buying the systems and was told that any idiot can install these things.

Since it was very apparent that Firestone is not the least bit interesting in backing their products, I decided to return everything. The shipping was expensive, but worth it to have peace of mind. Of course I asked for compensation from Firestone, they declined (and quite rudely I might add). I filed a complaint with the BBB.

The reason I'm writing this to merely inform so that other may benefit from my misfortune. It will be a cold day before I ever buy a Firestone product. I could understand if companies make mistakes. But I would expect them to back there products to make it right. They didn't even make an attempt to right their wrongs. Perhaps they are worth the money for many people. But I would only suggest you proceed with caution and know that if you have problems, they will not support you.

I looked the at the installation instructions for Air-Lift and they are much more detailed. So I called them to discuss this application. I was much more impressed with their level of knowledge about their products. I have a better feeling about potentally using them. They even talked me out of spending $700 on the on-board on-demand compressor kit.

Tough day....But now It's Miller time!!

MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train
I had the same issue with the Firestone instructions for my Liberty. Vague is not even close.

TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
All in on air lift brand.

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
I installed PacBrake Air Suspension on my truck.
I like the new Air Lift with the Internal Jounce Bumper. You can run the unit with no air and not cause any damage.
Never enough camping!!
jonnys_walkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Air Lift here and no issues. only one very minor slow leak (4 psi in 3 days when cold) just showed up in the last few years, the system is 11 years old! can`t complain one bit!

Good luck!
02 Ford Excursion V-10 4.30 gears 5 Star Tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar Rear Airbags
Prodigy and Dual Cam
07 Cherokee 32B
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
I just put the Firestone bags on my F250.
Instructions were good, just had to use some common sense when drilling the required holes.
I didn't bother with the compressor kit, as it cost far too much for little benefit.
The bags have been installed for about 3 months, and I have had zero loss of pressure.
Installing anything like air bags is not for "dummies", but it really isn't that difficult.
But I am unimpressed that their customer service is manned by jerks.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member
Installed my air springs about 5 years ago or more and never had any problems. Instructions had pictures which showed the brackets in place and only had to drill 2 holes. This may be because the 2006 frame included holes that Ford no longer provides. I have mine set up that I air them up before we leave on a trip. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. It's ridiculous that companies can make untrue statements or do shotty workmanship but the customer has to pay to either take their RV to get it fixed or return a bad product. I didn't receive a discount for buying something that had to be taken back a couple times to make it right. If they had to reimburse for our expenses incurred by their poor workmanship they would be more quality oriented as opposed to quantity oriented.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
I put the Firestone RideRites on my F250, although they were no-drill bags. Took a couple of hours and I didn't find the instructions to be too bad at all. Put the compressor kit and dual gauges on as well and loved they way they operated and gave me the ability to adjust from in the cab, but I did have to make my own bracket as I didn't want to drill the compressor or tank into the frame. Never had any problems with them at all and enjoyed the way they improved the ride so much I have a pair sitting in my basement with my existing compressor and gauges to put on my 350 now. Just need time to do the install........Wonder if I spent less time on this forum if I would get it done

Jack of all trades - Master of none
2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2014 Sabre 36QBOK
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote