Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #1

First long trip in our RV, 2,200 miles dry camping, now I have a couple of questions

Hi All,

Well this was our defining moment with our RV. We drove 2,200 miles to Yellowstone 4 days full hookups and 9 days dry camping . We bought it used 2008 Georgetown 370 xl. It was a bit misused by the previous owners, but the price was right and the extended warranty fixed 6 or 7 things on it that were expensive, the slide outs, leveling jacks and steps and we upgraded the floors and furniture and it now looks fantastic.

So we have been a little trigger shy as it seamed for about the first year that every time we take it out something goes wrong with it. But this forum and our RV guy saved the day each time.

During our trip I have to say except for the discomfort below the RV did great.

So the questions are:

1- Stability - When I go on an uneven pavement or going off of a drive way where I need to turn the RV it sways side to side like a boat in rough water. The only way to stop that is to go extremely slow? Is this just the fact that it's so tall or is it something like my shocks or something else messed up in it?

2- Steering stabilizers - The last 400 miles we hit some rough winds where I had to slow down to about 50 miles per hour as all the truckers and other RV's flew by me. Will something like steer safe help in high winds?

3- Freeway curves - This could be me but I noticed when there is a freeway cure I have to slow down from 65 to about 55 to feel like I'm going to make it. I tried going faster and for the most part worked okay, but just didn't feel safe?

4- Freezer catching - Once the freezer gets cold it got stuck and it was hard to open. So I had to press the button and shake it 3 or 4 times really hard before it would budge.

Thanks for you input.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #2

Nice trip and glad you are asking the question now that you have a few driving miles. I will do my best to help you answer your questions.

1- Stability.......
Yes slow down when driving a 20,000 lb box when leaving the road.
You are not a car.
If you read here about the cheap sway bar fix may help you here.
See if you have a sway bar at the front axle as well as the rear.
If you do you can do the fix if you are mechanically able.
All it is to move the pivot bots to the hole on the sway bare that is closer to the axle. May also be weak shocks.

2- Steering stabilizers - The last 400 miles we hit some rough winds where I had to slow down to about 50 miles per hour as all the truckers and other RV's flew by me. Will something like steer safe help in high winds?

Again slow down on off road driving. If the rig rides good on pavement you probably can't do much about rough roads.

How does it drive on the freeways? Is it hard to keep straight down the road and always trying to correct steering? This will tell if your frontend alignment is good and tires.

3- Freeway curves - This could be me but I noticed when there is a freeway cure I have to slow down from 65 to about 55 to feel like I'm going to make it. I tried going faster and for the most part worked okay, but just didn't feel safe?

The sway bar fix could help but if your shocks are worn out this may do this also. Also if you have low tire pressure which could do this.

4- Freezer catching - Once the freezer gets cold it got stuck and it was hard to open. So I had to press the button and shake it 3 or 4 times really hard before it would budge.

The only thing I can suggest here is to check the seal if it is making contact or is their a gap that frost is building up.
Also try cleaning it with warm water and a mild dish soap. Also check the pleats in the seal to make sure they are clean.

This is the basic answers I can give you at this moment. I'm sure others may add their ideas and opinions.
Good luck.

PS I have attached the 2008 Georgetown brochure if you don't have it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2008_Georgetown.pdf (2.69 MB, 69 views)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Thanks Iggy, great suggestions as usual.

A few replies/clarifications.

How do I know if my shocks are the problem? On a nice paved freeway it drives very well and I don't have to correct it much. I definitely need an alignment, because my steering wheel is a little crocked after they put my times on.

I have new Michelin tires put on last year they have about 3000 miles on them mostly from this trip. The pressure on them range between 91-97 PSI. I read here that I could go as high as 100 PSI, but that seams too high, but I figured this is a good middle ground, what do you think?

I will look at the sway bar fix to see if my RV guy or someone at camping world could do this fix, if they are able/allowed.

If I end up with something like steer safe or another option do I do this for the front tires only or do I do something for the back ones as well?
Old 07-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
Anacortesians

To get the tire pressure where it needs to be, get the rig weighed, front axle on the scale, then back axle on the scale.Once you know what the tires have to carry, you can look up the appropriate pressure in the tire manufacturer's data. We did this and the ride quality was a lot better.

You can often go to a highway weigh station when it's closed and do the weighing at your leisure. Usually the scale displays are visible through the windows and are left on when the office is closed (at least around here).
Old 07-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man View Post
Thanks Iggy, great suggestions as usual.

A few replies/clarifications.
How do I know if my shocks are the problem? On a nice paved freeway it drives very well and I don't have to correct it much. I definitely need an alignment, because my steering wheel is a little crocked after they put my times on.

I have new Michelin tires put on last year they have about 3000 miles on them mostly from this trip. The pressure on them range between 91-97 PSI. I read here that I could go as high as 100 PSI, but that seams too high, but I figured this is a good middle ground, what do you think?

I will look at the sway bar fix to see if my RV guy or someone at camping world could do this fix, if they are able/allowed.

If I end up with something like steer safe or another option do I do this for the front tires only or do I do something for the back ones as well?

Here is a link to the thread about the Cheap Handling Fix.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...fix-62663.html
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #6

My freezer gets hard to open occasionally. I passed it off to the air inside contracting as it cools. Just have to pull hard.

Never saw any frost on the seal.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #7

Freezer door

Ours gets difficult to open if I push it hard when closing. Just close until it goes click.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:56 PM   #8

Look in the door frame of freezer. Some have a switch to discourage the collection of condensation on frame. warms the frame a smidge and stops the condensation. Down side it uses amperage so. not good dry camping unless solar or using gen to keep batts up. I suspect the condensation freezes, but how would I know. I'm in Calif.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #9

When it comes to handling (sway), I've probably done it all on my 2015 Georgetown 364TS: CHF didn't work...made the sway bar clunk against the frame. Motorhome service center said that this year they already had to put three Georgetown sway bar bolts back where they were originally; Steering stabilizer - nice to have, but very little improvement if any; TruTrac track bar on the rear - no noticeable improvement; wheel alignment (paid for by FR) - not much help; accurate tire pressure - no added help but important; (So, now I'm up to $1,800 with no appreciable improvement). I'm now sense a battle, so I decide to go all the way: $600 more for a 1 & 3/4" Heavy duty rear sway bar (Roadmaster), which is in addition to the existing rear sway bar. Now, I'm finally starting to see some improvement...probably should have done this first. Dealer thought all new shocks "might" help, but several Forum members suggested not to do that one. About the only thing I haven't done is replace the front sway bar with a heavy duty one. Bottom line: First, add a rear heavy duty sway bar (Medium level DIY project). Next, and finally, remember you're driving a big box with a high cg. To a certain degree, you're going to have to compensate, and you'll be just fine.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:37 PM   #10

Thanks All for the great info.

Vince - I was at camping world yesterday and the guy behind the desk told me the same exact thing about roadmaster sway bars in the back. So I'm thinking about adding that and I'm also thinking about adding Safe T Plus to front.

After that I may get my tires aligned and I hope that should set me straight

Tags
camping, dry camping