Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #1

First Time user! Question about Slides and Jacks

I have a 2008 FR Georgetown 373 V10. I have used unit for 2.3 years and love it! Problem is everytime I go to use slides and jacks, they come out different each time. One time I can get slides to work anytime. Some times I have to have Jacks going down and pressure going to lines to get slides to drag themselves out. If I don't hurry and get to switches while I am raising jacks, slides will not come all the way in and I have to cross my fingers and hope I can extend then retract to finish getting slides in. Just this weekend front jacks came down and then nothing. Slides went out a few inches and that's it. I finally was able to retract everything. Pump was extremely warm plus my main batteries were 4 years old. I tried to "charge" them with a battery charger. Still nothing and anger was setting in. I decided to replace both batteries (400 bucks super) still could really get anything working. I had my wife come in and we used the manual button and I told her to lower rear jacks while I simultaneously was then able to extend slides! We were content to leave them out and I charged new batteries (were drained by now) In about 2 hours I was able to level unit with auto mode and we enjoyed the weekend. When time arrived to break camp was uneventful. When I got home I tried process again. This time is was not like I hoped. Front jacks came down perfect. Slides stayed in while I depressed buttons. Wife said rear jacks are now coming down and once they were down I was able to get slides out and everything is good to go again.

Very long and drawn out, I apologize for that. Read what you can and please comment on what I am doing right or wrong. We are going to California (2K mile jaunt) and I am concerned about my slides!

Thanks
Jayhawk1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #2

Really don't know. I am thinking frame is flexing on uneven ground causing some issues. But its just a guess.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #3

Thanks, I actually am not new to these items, just wondering if anyone knew the order that these slides and jacks come down. I just know that I was never worried about the silly things not working properly before.....
Jayhawk1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #4

Not sure about 2008, but my 2011 seems to work fine as long as plugged in to shore power when slides are activated. To lower or raise jacks I need to have parking brake set and engine running.

When I arrive at a site, I lower jacks and level coach while engine is running. Then shut off engine, plug to shore power, or start generator and extend slides, large slides first, one at a time, then bedroom.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #5

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
msm1827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobill View Post
Not sure about 2008, but my 2011 seems to work fine as long as plugged in to shore power when slides are activated. To lower or raise jacks I need to have parking brake set and engine running.

When I arrive at a site, I lower jacks and level coach while engine is running. Then shut off engine, plug to shore power, or start generator and extend slides, large slides first, one at a time, then bedroom.
X2 Have you checked your resevoir to make sure that your fluid level is not low
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #7

Does sound like low fluid to me...
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post
Does sound like low fluid to me...
I was thinking the same thing.

hatchet
HATCHET19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #9

Hi Jayhawk. I believe the owners instruction pamphlet recommends leveling your motorhome first then extending the slides. When leaving, slides in first then raise leveling jacks. After the jacks are raised the ride cushioning bags will begin filling which will raise your coach. I have a 2008 Charleston with an Equalizer leveling system and five slides. Hope this helps. 😎
MrLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #10

The sequence is with the engine running, as soon as you decide to no longer move, apply the park brake and extend the jacks (mine is an LCI system). Shut off the engine and do your setup sequence. I go outside and clear each slide and tell the wife to hit the switch. By then she has looked around the inside of the slide housing to be sure nothing has moved. My batteries are good so weather you choose to hook up electric it run the slides out on the battery is a choice. My Georgetown is finicky about running the hydraulic pump and from time to time I have to reset the red flag breaker under the step
Dc8mdtmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #11

Sides & Jacks

I had conflicting feedback from mechanic @ dealership this spring, when we picked up our new Sunseeker 3050S, from what I had been taught early on. So I asked the guys that build our slides for the Sunseeker - Foresters at Goshen this last rally. Get level as you can on your sight, hook up power, or fire up generator, or battery power, level up rest of the way with your jacks. Once level check clearances around slides, then deploy one at a time. Reverse order for tear down. Concern is, the chassis doesn't have to have a lot of bow in it to possibly bind a slide either being deployed or retracted. Our 3050s has a full wall slide, so I don't want to bind that sucker as big as it is! I used this sequence with our previous MH too, and haven't had any issues to date. . . knock on wood. . .
Old 11-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkekflyers View Post
I had conflicting feedback from mechanic @ dealership this spring, when we picked up our new Sunseeker 3050S, from what I had been taught early on. So I asked the guys that build our slides for the Sunseeker - Foresters at Goshen this last rally. Get level as you can on your sight, hook up power, or fire up generator, or battery power, level up rest of the way with your jacks. Once level check clearances around slides, then deploy one at a time. Reverse order for tear down. Concern is, the chassis doesn't have to have a lot of bow in it to possibly bind a slide either being deployed or retracted. Our 3050s has a full wall slide, so I don't want to bind that sucker as big as it is! I used this sequence with our previous MH too, and haven't had any issues to date. . . knock on wood. . .

We owned a Sunseeker 3050s before trading it in on our Georgetown. You are correct with the Class C as that's what we did.

However with a Class A the Coach engine must be running, park break engaged before leveling. After level, shut engine off and plug into shore power or generator. At this point you put the slides out.

My guess is he should start by checking fluid level.

John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (Toad)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #13

clearearnce on slides etc.

I always call my girl friend on the cell and put it on speaker so we can talk to each other as slides go out or in. Just a safety thing, and I'm hard of hearing.
aviator42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsx2 View Post
We owned a Sunseeker 3050s before trading it in on our Georgetown. You are correct with the Class C as that's what we did.

However with a Class A the Coach engine must be running, park break engaged before leveling. After level, shut engine off and plug into shore power or generator. At this point you put the slides out.

My guess is he should start by checking fluid level.

John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (Toad)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
You're right on on the Georgetown sequence! After I read your post I realized my buddy with a '13 Georgetown has to run his coach to run his jacks, I had completely forgot that, I guess we are usually setting up at the same time and don't really pay that close attention to it. . Thanks for the info.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #15

Insure your fluid level is within 1" from the top of reservoir.

When setting up camp
1. Parking brake set.
2. Start engine
3. Lower levelers
4. Plug in power to insure coach batteries are being charged.
5. Take the largest slide out 1st
6. Then the next largest, and last the smallest.

Getting ready to leave campground.
Just the opposite.
1. Take the small slides in first and the largest last.
2. Start engine and raise levelers
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #16
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Insure your fluid level is within 1" from the top of reservoir.

When setting up camp
1. Parking brake set.
2. Start engine
3. Lower levelers
4. Plug in power to insure coach batteries are being charged.
5. Take the largest slide out 1st
6. Then the next largest, and last the smallest.

Getting ready to leave campground.
Just the opposite.
1. Take the small slides in first and the largest last.
2. Start engine and raise levelers
Iggy - between steps 3 and 4 - turn off engine as slides won't work with engine running. At least in my 2011.......
Old 11-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #17

Mosr hydraulic systems will move what ever has the least amount of resistance first as i know in my fiver a i can hold one slide in by hand to get to get another one out as the smallest one bed always goes first in or out

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, jacks, slide, slide out