Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

First Timer: Winterizing 2010 350

Hi,

The instructions that came with the RV on how to winterize were very brief and maybe that is the way it should be. I did what it said which was to run anti-freeze through the lines using the dedicated hose located beside the water pump. In addition and before doing the anti-freeze, I put preasure throught the lines and opened each water fawcets one at a time.

Is that all I need to do? I read some people stating on this forum that the water heater had to have something done to it. The one page instruction that I have did not mention anything about the water heater.

I also, disconnected the coach and chassis batteries so they cannot be drained and then freeze. I would normally remove them but we plan on using the RV at Christmas.

Your feedback would be appreciated.
Guy Lacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Don't forget to flush the toilets until the pink stuff comes through the line. By-Pass the water heater. There is a screw in 4" white plug next to the water heater that will give you access to the by-pass valve to the water heater. If you don't by-pass the water heater you'll fill it with anti-freeze. Once by-passed relieve pressure at the relief valve then remove the anode rod at the bottom to drain the water heater. You need to pour anti-freeze into each sink and shower as well as the toilet to keep the traps rom freezing.
You may want to consider using compressed air to blow out the lines so you don't have to rinse the lines out for your Christmas trip.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #3

I already did the anti-freeze without shutting the water heater valve, meaning it now has anti freeze in it. SHould I leave it for this time or do as you said.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #4

I drain all the water and empty the water heater and filter. Then used compressed air at 40 psig into the city water connection. Purging the water heater first, then sealing it and do all the toilet supply, shower, faucets hot and cold. Bypass the water heater, then suck up some RV antifreeze with the pump and run it through the lines. Then blow those lines clean again. Finally pour some antifreeze straight into the drains to fill the traps and leave some in the toilet bowl.
I also blow the tank fill for just a little to make sure no water is left in the fill line.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Lacroix View Post
I already did the anti-freeze without shutting the water heater valve, meaning it now has anti freeze in it. SHould I leave it for this time or do as you said.
I'd drain it. Unless you put quite a few gallons in there I'd be worried it's too diluted to be effective.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #6

Ok Thanks. I guess that valve is behind the removable panel in the same compartment as the water pump. Gee, you would think this would be indicated in the winterization instruction left in the RV. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
The Old Man

If you have a Suburban water heater with the anode rod the anti-freeze will destroy it. Suburban recommends that if you want to have antifreeze in your water heater (though that is not really necessary), then you need to remove the anode rod and replace it with a plug of the same size while in storage.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote